advertisement

VW Golf GTE?

The USA one was talking about 2014 models so that certainly fits the bill. I suppose that 3 years is a reasonable time to establish weaknesses that were there at manufacture, there will be a few cars that have been heavily used in that time so faults relating to poor longevity and only becoming apparent between 80k and 100k miles will have started to appear.

I suspect that most cars get the heaviest use between 0-6 years old, thereafter they are generally shunted to runabout status until they get to end of life. Others, like my MX5, become toys in later life, mine has only done about 5k miles since I bought it 2 years ago, it's currently SORNed and in the garage until spring, and prior to my ownership it was lucky to see 1000 miles a year.

Agreed.

And, in my experience, cars often have problems during the warranty period and then go years with very few. Our Merc and Golf probably had two problems each in their first three years, then nothing. One problem I had on the Merc was a broken sensor wire. It broke just before the dealer closed on a Friday, so I had an S Class for the weekend as a courtesy car. I really don't have that memory recorded under Reasons to not Buy a Merc!

advertisement

Back