advertisement

Volume

Android phones are not calibrated in any way. Apple is a single hardware vendor so there is at least the possibility of some consistency

I know, it'd be way out to be honest. I was listening to AC/DC at the time at it was very loud!

One of my first 'real' amps many years ago was a Cambridge A5. 60W P/C, I think into 4 ohms. I remember one day spinning some Meat Loaf while cleaning. I went to turn the amp down and realised I'd been running it wide open. Obviously I backed it off pretty quickly, but it sure did sound good and wasn't breaking a sweat. It was playing into some cheap Wharfedales, I forget the model.

You are risking hearing damage at 105db
Even at 95 the recommended maximum time is Less than an hour

Thanks, I have been warned before about this. I can usually only get away this for an hour or so at home, perhaps this is not as loud as a live venue. So far no damage to lugholes, nevertheless will try to tone down the volume.

Bloss

When I bought my Cyrus kit I was surprised that I had to crank the volume up to -30 (2/3 equivalent on a rotary scale) for even 'average' listening (-20 for some classical).

As mentioned above though, the perceived volume depends on the way the makers have implemented their volume scale.

Thanks, I have been warned before about this. I can usually only get away this for an hour or so at home, perhaps this is not as loud as a live venue. So far no damage to lugholes, nevertheless will try to tone down the volume.

Bloss

The damage comes later and creeps up on you (it has for me)

When I bought my Cyrus kit I was surprised that I had to crank the volume up to -30 (2/3 equivalent on a rotary scale) for even 'average' listening (-20 for some classical).

As mentioned above though, the perceived volume depends on the way the makers have implemented their volume scale.

It was the same with my Cambridge Audio 851 gear. Less so with the E/W pre/power, but certainly with the 851A. The 851A would be at -30 before it really started to get loud. Certainly Never ran out of power though.

I had a self proclaimed 'expert' round here, he wasn't happy till my iPhone meter was reading above 100db's, then complained my system was compressed and lacked detail :rolleyes:

I'm somewhat odd in that I have an extremely poor tolerance of loud sound (my ears physically hurt and sound distorted when exposed to 'concert level' SPL in music venues even if just for a few seconds, hence ear plugs are a must for me from the get go).

Yet I am perfectly fine with moderately loud music played through my hifi at home, with SPLs in the low-to-mid 80dBs (average) and mid 90dBs (peak), C-weighted on my Radio Shack Digital Meter.

I do not accurately know what SPLs I expose my ears to when using headphones, probably similar levels to my main hifi when I want to 'rock out'. I am however unable to endure headphone listening for as long and notice a dulling of my ears' frequency response as the listening session progresses. No pain or ringing though...

I once remember reading that for rock albums, it should be turned up until the ears bleed and then backed off a touch......

I must admit that I like classical music lower than rock and speech lower still. I suppose I enjoy hearing it as near as I can get it to how it would have sounded when performed is what seems right to me.

Having said that though, being an old git, the ear plugs are a necessity now at rock gigs.

advertisement

Back