advertisement

Volume

blossomchris

I feel better than James Brown
How loud do you play the Hi-fi

I turn back the volume, a notch, if my chest feels the beat/bass

Bloss

Just depends on my mood and the music I'm playing. Some stuff just has to be played LOUD!

Quieter nowadays, used to be 1 o'clock and then 3-4 o'clock if nobody was around (vinyl with a 72/250).

I expect I could blow the windows out now if I was so inclined - have young children though!

A very small fraction of a watt. I'm not sure of the actual in-room dB as I don't have a calibrated measurement device.

(I do sometimes use it loud - I can bring over 1000W to bear if I want and the speaker array produces more than 90dB at one watt - and thermal compression is less of an issue for me than for many people. I have eight (yes, eight!) eight-inch bass drivers in play. I'd like some more... another eight would go down well here.)

Markus here taught me to appreciate music at below 60db.

It's a pleasure.

72-78 dB/meter A rated peaking at 81dB/m
Sitting 7m from speakers

Unless its pony music and it creeps up to 88dB

when I write music I hard limit the outputs to 76dB. That way no damage can happen.

The idea of the thread has been in my mind ever since the wild difference posters experience.

However the chatty how I do play type of answer tells little one can learn from or compare.

Tony. Hook, Meloski and CG have the right idea - measure and describe from where (distance) etc. This does allow some degree of comparision.

Those that have measured did you used C weighted, flat response or A weighted, inverted bell curve adjusted to human hearing (international standard) response?

Thanks

98dba on my Iphone app, that was my motor bike with out the exhaust end can on, sounded lovely!

Pete

No problem with this whatsnext, I was sitting approx 4m from speakers and my chest measurement is 46".
Hope this helps

Bloss

Those that have measured did you used C weighted, flat response or A weighted, inverted bell curve adjusted to human hearing (international standard) response?

I use Faber Acoustical's Sound Meter for iOS and recommend it highly. I've also got an old Radio Shack SPL meter with an analogue meter, they both seem to give very similar readings so I've a fair bit of confidence in the Faber Acoustical meter. I have it set to LP/Flat/Fast. Always remember to point the mic at the source too, i.e. hold the iPhone with the bottom pointing towards the source or you are just taking a reading of your jumper! (Sound meter rotates so is still readable).

I have three systems in different rooms: Klipsch La Scalas 3.3m away from the listening seat (TV/background system) and usually very quiet at <70db. Tannoy MG15s about 2.3m away and 75-80db or so. JR149s near-field at 1.1m away and 75-80db. For the 75-80db average level Sound meter registers peaks at the 90-93db kind of level on well recorded non-compressed stuff.

PS I'd recommend either C weighting or Flat if the meter has it, A weighting is very mid-band centric for specific health and safety use.

No problem with this whatsnext, I was sitting approx 4m from speakers and my chest measurement is 46".
Hope this helps

Bloss

Hopefully you will have noted the other posts from those who have attempted to measure and described they measured. Those are the posts that would allow some comparison the be made..

Good idea for a thread

The volume I play at is "lifelike" , IE if there is a female singer etc .. the volume I play at would be the same as live , some stuff I play louder , like electronica..I like a large scale sound and like the music to envelop me.
My systems bass is astounding, no boom or overhang (treated room , distributed bass and DIRAC) and the system plays super clean , so I tend to whack bassy stuff up , just to feel the slam , the pressurization and the hit you in the chest feeling.

The problem with my system is that it is so clean and undistorted that you CAN just turn it up and up and up and sometimes I leave the room and come back and think . "wow was I REALLY playing it that loud?"

Thanks to our leader, I have now managed a reading, which is 95-105db. (also owe my daughter 79p)

Bloss

The problem with my system is that it is so clean and undistorted that you CAN just turn it up and up and up and sometimes I leave the room and come back and think . "wow was I REALLY playing it that loud?"

I do this all the time, usually when playing live albums. I can't imagine starting an album at those volumes. I will grab one of the suggested apps to take some measurements to see just how loud I'm really playing it.

I gauge the music volume by what I am playing. When I can't hear myself talk at a conversation level, then I know it is getting there.

advertisement

Back