advertisement

Violin in Rock/Pop reccomendations?

What Bibi50 said, plus:

Frank Zappa's Hot Rats. 2 great tracks with Sugarcane Harris (Willie the Pimp and Gumbo Variations), and one with Monsieur Ponty (It Must be a Camel). (Don't know about your child rearing philosophy, so check out the lyrics of W. the P. for K-12 suitability first.) Great music anyway.

Better still IMO is Sugarcane Harris on 'The Little House I Used To Live In' from Burnt Weeny Sandwich.

Also, Godspeed You Black Emperor are pretty string heavy.

"grade 2 or 3 player"

I dont think most of these recommendations are gonna be helpful, are they? i mean Zappa stuff, Seth Lakeman, Alison Krauss you need grade 8+ to be able to say 'yeah I can do that'.

another 'A Tune A Day' basic numbskullery is that insipid Elbow tune.. da-da-da-da -de-da-dumb (you know the wretched thing) that's grade 2 or 3 std pop/rock violin.

Point of pedantry: John Cale plays electrified Viola, not the Violin on VU's records.

For tightly composed pieces that could be learnt easily, I'd suggest 'Phantasmagoria' by Curved Air. Daryl Way is/was preoccupied with Vivaldi, so much of it won't be a million miles away from what she's already doing. Whilst I love it, I'm not sure 'Hot Rats' would prove that inspirational to a 12 year old. Ditto David Cross's sawing away with King Crimson.

BTW, Jean Luc Ponty's best Record is 'King Kong', the rest is yoghurt weaving fusion.

Problem is that the stuff they do at school concerts etc is not exactly inspiring - long, difficult and rambling.

Hmmmm. Sounds like Classical Music. Is this a problem for her...or for you?!

Violin playing in pop music is like a dog walking on its hind legs.

I'd suggest some of this.

Rory.

The question was asked for music that would inspire her to play, not that as a grade 3 player she'd be able to emulate it immediately.

Or maybe I read into that wrongly?

Dave.

Rory.

The quesion was asked for music that would inspire her to play, not that as a grade 3 player she'd be able to emulate it immediately.

Or maybe I read into that wrongly?

Dave.
In that case, don't play her any Rock with added Violin, most of it's at the knottier end of the Spectrum.

Stephane Grapelli's soundtrack to 'Les Valseuses' would definitely inspire her, though. An enchanting and exciting recording and magnificent playing.

... a 12 y.o.... grade 2 or 3 player to think yeah I could do that..

Dave, I read the Q as whether its -doable- and in that sense inspiring, rather than getting inspiration from technical stuff such as Venessa Mae or wha'evaa; classical for eg was pointed at as being 'difficult' & therefore uninspiring in the orig post.

I dunno, maybe he can respond.

still think Beatles stuff is both simply emulated and wonderful music to learn too for a 12 yo.

Our very own PFM member Steveinspains father plays violin on early Rod Stewart Lps , really nice bit on "Reason to believe" amongst others

We are missing out the greatest English player( much over looked ) MrDave Swarbrick Listen to his work with Fairport-convention,,.amazing

How could we forget him ??? Mr Swarbrick is realy great as the great group he was/is playing with- Fairport Convention. The music is really joyful but as someone nebtioned before not the exactly the music for a 12 yo.....

Personally I'd look no further than Billy Bang - this in particular. The title track is magnificent IMHO and the rest of the album not far behind.

Go on, take a chance!

Jim

Patrick Wolf uses quite a lot of solo violin and viola, often in quite a dark, moody Velvet Underground way but also in a more pop sense on songs like Magic Position.

Check out the albums Wind In The Wires (his masterpiece so far) and Magic Position.

I have found the violin to be a tricky beast to get to grips with, mainly due to the lack of frets! Getting the pitch right when it's hard to see where your fingers are landing can be frustrating! Well worth the effort though!

Best,

Mickey

John Handy Quintet- Live at the Monterey Jazz Festival. Mike White on violin. Originally on Columbia but the re-release on Koch Jazz sounds better.

advertisement

Back