advertisement

vinyl takes over the world

paskinn

pfm Member
Well, we all know that isn't true. But sales of records increased by 78% in the first three months of the year, compared with the same period in 2012,
according to figures quoted in the daily Telegraph, from an organisation called the Official Charts Company. The reasons given were 'warmer sound' and 'collectability.'

You are, of course, still talking small numbers (about 400,000 'units') but the upward trend has been consistent for some years. It will probably continue as vinyl might offer the only effective alternative to 'virtual' music.

Quite a few people like real, physical things. Yes, it is a niche, but nearly all hobbies are niches. Nothing wrong with that. Oddly enough, isn't it 'record day'?

I think it's a Teen Fad for the current generation simply because it's what Mom and Dad Don't Do (now that parents have embraced downloads.)

It will pass like all other fads.

Went back to vinyl 2 years ago with a second hand Michell Orb SE this after buying a full Linn DS system. While the DS System sounds great it just lacks what vinyl offers and this also takes 24bit studio master recording into consideration . The vinyl collection is growing at an alarming rate in fact I cant remember the last time I downloaded a studio master so that tells its own story. Now I have a SME turntable on order and can’t wait to hear how that sounds. Most of my vinyl comes from Amazon uk where everything I have always wanted is available. The big bit of plastic just cannot be killed off. Picking up the cover and being able to bloody read the thing is a joy also.

I think it's a Teen Fad for the current generation simply because it's what Mom and Dad Don't Do (now that parents have embraced downloads.)

Agreed, sad though it is.

There will always be a market for vinyl but its a mistake to look at a peak and confuse it with a trend. Just ask some of our better known economists :)

It's also a mistake to take what is a peak in a very small market and use this to evidence some sort of superiority for vinyl. It's mostly just kids getting with the retro thing.

IDC: Odd change, if you don't mind my saying so. The Orbe is and was a superb unit and the basic SME more of a change of flavour, depending on which arm you used and will use.

Another point in vinyl's favour over downloads, though I could be misguided here, is that you can upgrade and change vinyl front ends 'til the cows come home. Not sure, but I don't think that applies to the same degree with digital downloads.

Besides, it can't just be the more mature generation that prefers something tangible. Yes, I read that in my D.T. as well; put a smile on my analogue face !:)

it may be a fad (i wouldn't know, i don't have the data others seem to have to state with certainty whether it is or isn't), but it's been a fairly sustained fad, going on for about 10 years now. for the past 5 years, every new release i've been interested in has been available on vinyl, and many older, digital only release have be reissued on vinyl. 10+ years ago about 20% of stuff i was interested in was available on vinyl.

Auditioned the SME Mike with the V arm and ordered. The Orbe SE is indeed a wonderful sounding turntable , however I noticed how the SME managed to dig deeper and bring out things I did not hear before coming from the Michell. The Audition took place within my system.

it may be a fad (i wouldn't know, i don't have the data others seem to have to state with certainty whether it is or isn't), but it's been a fairly sustained fad, going on for about 10 years now. for the past 5 years, every new release i've been interested in has been available on vinyl, and many older, digital only release have be reissued on vinyl. 10+ years ago about 20% of stuff i was interested in was available on vinyl.

Indeed, I'm sure in ten years this same subject will be discussed. I predict ceedees will be bite the dust and LP's will be the favored physical format.

Auditioned the SME Mike with the V arm and ordered. The Orbe SE is indeed a wonderful sounding turntable , however I noticed how the SME managed to dig deeper and bring out things I did not hear before coming from the Michell. The Audition took place within my system.

You don't say if you had a Five on the Orbe; if so, fair comparison. My Orbe and Five came together courtesy of J.M. in '95; served me well for 15 odd years.

It would be nice to think we are now in a place where we can exercise a choice over preferred music medium without attracting too much animosity.

Today I auditioned the Audiolab cd player with a view to buying the CDQ.
It was okay, moving to quite good.

Unfortunately, the shop wanted me to listen to their modest Project turntable with an Ortofon cart. The music seemed so much more alive. It was a distraction.

It could well be distortion but who cares. A preference is a preference at the end of the day.

Totally agree. If go on Reddit and look at the vinyl subreddit it's full of hipsters pulling old Duel's out of the parents basement and buying ORIGINAL 90's pressings. What scares me as that they think these old ratbag TT's with $10 carts sound better than lossless downloads off their laptops!

Records Shops are decreasing space for CDs as they die off and increasing the space for vinyl, which is clearly a GOOD THING is it.

There are virtually no CD singles now. The 2nd hand ones go for 1p now.

One shop I went to today has gone from 6 bins of records to 12, which is almost a 100% increase there.

DS

all music sales are dropping due to tossers illegally downloading.

Except vinyl sales are growing...you can't download an LP. Although I've just had a thought, what about '3 d printing'? Could a 3D printer replicate an LP?

Vinyl sales are stronger now than in recent years but it's still a piss in the ocean.

An animated gif from http://www.geek.com/geek-cetera/30-years-of-the-music-industry-looks-like-in-30-seconds-1415243/

30years.gif

I'm thrilled that 20+ years after LPs had died we can still buy new vinyl and things to play them on, but the resurgence has to be put into the context of music all sales. It's scarcely more than 1% of sales.

Joe

Except vinyl sales are growing...you can't download an LP. Although I've just had a thought, what about '3 d printing'? Could a 3D printer replicate an LP?
Not yet, but I do recall reading about it being attempted.

You will have to be content with a 3d printed tone arm for now.

Didnt know it was record store day yesterday - untill I arrived for my Saturday fix and found the place crowded and a band playing.

Steve

A record has been 3D printed.

Not the highest of fidelities, though.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:

advertisement

Back