advertisement

Views on Travelling Wilburys?

DevillEars

Dedicated ignorer of fashion
Spun my original vinyl copy of their first album again last night after a break of a few months.

TravelingWilburysVol1.jpg

The recording is in pretty good nick for a 20 year-old pressing and listening to the various tracks as they unfolded, I was again struck by the sheer exuberance of the cast and production.

So much so that I dug out a 2007 Rhino collection which included a DVD with a video clip of how they got together and produced the first album. Playing that DVD, it became apparent that they obviously had had a great time laying down the tracks in a constrained time-window (Dylan was due to hurtle off on a tour).

The great counterpoint component in the group's structure has to have been the combination of Orbison & Dylan - two opposites that combined well...

Add to that mix George, Tom & Jeff and then pour in a little Jim Keltner and...

The catalyst and bonding agent role was definitely filled by Harrison but to pick out individuals is really to miss the point - the Wilburys first album was one of those rare examples of everything just clicking into place - talents and personalities - to produce a great moment that was - thankfully - captured for posterity.

Sadly, Orbison passed on shortly after the release of album one and that magic died with him - the follow-on second album (Volume 3?) was nowhere near the first.

The music happens to appeal to me - as do the individual performers - but I think the overall impression of a bunch of top-notch musicians just having so much fun and getting so much enjoyment out of their collaboration, is what really appeals the most - and it is plainly evident when you listen to that first album!

:cool:

As a big Tom Petty fan and a 'should but don't realy like him' Bob Dylan fan, I always found the Wilburys output far less than the sum of their parts.

They are definately having fun and were not too indulgent. Jeff Lynne was (still is?) a talented producer, but the whole thing lacked 'cool' for me.

I always liked Tom Petty's reply to (I think) Martha Davis' question about what exactly a Wlibury was. Can't remember verbatim, but it was along the lines of, "Jerry Lee Lewis could be a Wilbury. Jerry Lewis couldn't."

Are you doing it on purpose, DevillEars ? Yank meant Jeff Lynne as a producer. And indeed, I agree that if there is something worse than Jeff Lynne's drum sound (Hold On Tight Yuck!), it must be the way he makes the backing vocals sound on ELO. For Sha-Na-Na it might have been OK but his mere presence on a record of any kind is sure a downer.

Huh? The drummer on TW1 was Jim Keltner - one of the really good cross-over jazz/rock drummers...

:confused:

Yes, he plays well. But the recorded sound that Jeff Lynne, the producer, gave him is gimmicky and dated. And was then. And he's locked on the click track with no swing at all.

Are you doing it on purpose, DevillEars ? Yank meant Jeff Lynne as a producer. And indeed, I agree that if there is something worse than Jeff Lynne's drum sound (Hold On Tight Yuck!), it must be the way he makes the backing vocals sound on ELO. For Sha-Na-Na it might have been OK but his mere presence on a record of any kind is sure a downer.

Agree re: Lynne's vocal sound. It's like cupping your hands around your mouth and going "awwwww awwww" all the time. It's obtrusive.

Interesting, though, that Petty and Dylan's vocal timbres and styles are very similar, and Orbison's and Lynne's are a pretty close match to each other as well. That leaves Harrison as the voice that sticks out, which is kind of the opposite of his roll in The Beatles where he was the glue that held the vocal harmonies together.

They are definately having fun and were not too indulgent. Jeff Lynne was (still is?) a talented producer, but the whole thing lacked 'cool' for me.

If you like it, get over yourself and **** 'cool'.

I have numerous seriously uncool fave songs/albums etc. Believe me, apart from a couple of years c.16-20 years of age, cool is bollocks. Life's too short.
If you like it... enjoy it.

Mull

P.S.

Take Orbison on Mystery Girl. He does a seriously tacky song about a Wind Surfer, heading off into the ocean for a lost love etc. Emotionally it is infantile, but musically, like all of his stuff, it soars, and is valid for that alone.

Mull

I have numerous seriously uncool fave songs/albums etc. Believe me, apart from a couple of years c.16-20 years of age, cool is bollocks. Life's too short.

Mull

Spot on!

'Cool' and 'Uncool' both imply the taking into consideration the opinions of others regarding one's musical likes and dislikes. Musical tastes are personal and - for me anyway - the opinions of others regarding subjective aspects such as whether or not music is 'cool' are there to be ignored.

Where opinions of others are of interest is in performance aspects (which I may not have picked up), recording aspects (particularly across different releases) and media-related aspects (e.g. vinyl versus CD). These are useful in that they can enhance one's appreciation - either of the current version or - via purchase - of other and better versions.

Re another comment:

love the band, the songs, just not the recording

Given the circumstances of the recording - limited time window, rough & ready studio facilities (kitchen!!), etc - one can hardly expect the lushness of an extended perfectionist recording session. I think the spontaneity and exuberance would probably have been squashed had the recording sessions been more "professional"...

I think the spontaneity and exuberance would probably have been squashed had the recording sessions been more "professional"...

Lack of "professionalism" is not the problem here, but an overly-editorial producer.

Mull

Yes but i didn't like it either.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom