advertisement

Views on the Technics SP15

lordmortlock

Late to the Tannoy party
Having recently posted that I’d be mad to change decks … :)

I’ve always wanted to try a Technics SP10 but they’re often housed in huge plinths, that are too big for my space, or out of reach financially.

The smaller brother, An SP15 popped up recently on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15551632...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

I don’t know much about these, and there’s a right old mix of opinion online.

Does anyone here have a view? This one is 100v, but apparently comes with a high quality step up. The Arm is a EPA101t, which is decent enough as I understand it?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have my SP10/2 in a piece of wood that sits on the top of a Sound Organisation table. It could be trimmed a bit. If that helps visualisation.

No view on the SP15 itself, never seen one.

Lovely deck and that looks like a good one.

However, a word of caution - it’s one of the Technics decks that uses the MN6042 speed control IC. These can be troublesome and stocks of them dried up years ago.

Fidelis Analog in the US offer a drop-in replacement made from discrete components but these are $220 each.

All I would say is that you need to see the deck running and ensure that it is spot on and stable at all 3 speeds before parting with your hard-earned.

If space is a premium why not try the Technics model with the linear Tracking tonearm in the lid- supposed to sound really good SI10 l think is the model number, but could be wrong.:D

That’s right, the SL10. There’re brilliant. I have one actually, I’d just like to play with a more ‘traditional’ DD deck.

On paper the 1200g/gr is the obvious choice, but I’ve never been completely sold on how they look.

I've recently brought a 1200G and must admit its a great deck, pretty much plug and play and I am very happy with the sound reproduction. Tried many carts on the arm and they all seem to work well, not had an issue yet although the arm does tend to like a heavier head shell such as the Jelco type one with adjustable azimuth. Since I've had the deck my Nottingham Dais has not had much use and this is equipped with a Bokrand 12" arm and Ortofon SPU cart

That’s right, the SL10. There’re brilliant. I have one actually, I’d just like to play with a more ‘traditional’ DD deck.

On paper the 1200g/gr is the obvious choice, but I’ve never been completely sold on how they look.

I owned an SP-10 for a while, but it wasn't really my thing. A bit too clinical / CD sounding for my tastes. I sold it on, but still have my SL-10.

I am no expert, but I recall being told that the SP-15 is nothing like the SP-10s, and has more in common with the 1200s, in terms of motor construction, bearing, platter mass, speed control etc..

It's quite difficult to find out how big a difference there is between a 1200 and the broadcast decks. I'm one of a small number of people who have heard the same kind of arm on a 1200 and an SL-1000R, but the SL-1000R was in an unfamiliar system, so I just can't speak of any difference.

Does the SP-15 suggest that the difference may not be very great, to the extent that Technics tried to present something closer to the 1200 as broadcast level?

Beobloke -thank you for the lead on IC replacements for the SP-15. I own a SP-25 which I really like -the advantage of the SP-25 is it basically uses SL-1200 Mk X electrical parts -I've looked at SP-15 but the bricking IC issue kept me from purchasing. Fair warning -if a tall white haired women knocks on your door -duck. It will be my GF wanting to give you a what for because "The idiot I live with bought another turntable and it's all your fault ":) . The big advantage to the SP-15 is the 78 speed -a feature that didn't carry over to the SP-25.

I am no expert, but I recall being told that the SP-15 is nothing like the SP-10s, and has more in common with the 1200s, in terms of motor construction, bearing, platter mass, speed control etc..

It's quite difficult to find out how big a difference there is between a 1200 and the broadcast decks. I'm one of a small number of people who have heard the same kind of arm on a 1200 and an SL-1000R, but the SL-1000R was in an unfamiliar system, so I just can't speak of any difference.

Does the SP-15 suggest that the difference may not be very great, to the extent that Technics tried to present something closer to the 1200 as broadcast level?

Opinion is all over the place online, so it’s even more difficult than usual to get a consensus reading up.

The 1200g is feeling very much like the sweet spot to me.

I have an old modified Mk5 which I demonstrated against a 1200G at the Bristol show. I'm not convinced that the price difference between Mk7 or GR and G isn't better spent elsewhere. The problem Technics has with the G is that the lower models are already so good. Where do you go from there?

beholdsupatrac.jpg

advertisement

Back