advertisement

Vexed by Valves

For 12AX7s or ECC83s as we call them, Watford Valves do the very fine sounding Harma strs
They do several different Harma ECC83s. Which ones particularly do you recommend for a valve phono pre? My search for a good matched pair of Mullards for ‘sensible’ money (i.e. No more than £60…) has proved frustrating.

I've not had great experience with valve kit so far and it's noticeable that every valve component I've ever bought is up the loft at the moment - either 'cause it's blown up (including my lovely sounding by temperamental Oto) or because I wasn't keen on the sound (the latter being a couple of cheap Chinese bits, a phono stage that's too noisy and a headphone amp that was also a bit hissy).

Actually there is one valve component that I have that is in occasional use and that's one of the Schiit headphone amps - that's pretty good.

They do several different Harma ECC83s. Which ones particularly do you recommend for a valve phono pre? My search for a good matched pair of Mullards for ‘sensible’ money (i.e. No more than £60…) has proved frustrating.
Harma str. You can then decide on whether or not you want balanced or not.....

It depends a lot on the equipment but I also found that the 6922 / stock ecc88 is the most noisy and microphonic valve I've used in various phono stages and preamps. And unfortunately some nos valves despite often sounding much nicer are prone to both.
Someone above mentioned the NOS tesla valves above and agree these have been quiet and still remain decent value in the crazy world of valve prices.

I have used Russian 6N23Ps in place of 6DJ8s with great success. They're not cheap as chips any more but they aren't expensive (except the EV aka EB version) so given your spend to date I'd give them a whirl. If you like the basic ones upgrade to the EVs at some point.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back