advertisement

Veneer refurb - french polishing?

JimmyB

pfm Member
I've lent a friend a pair of speakers and they've had a wee bit of damage apparently.

I'm not that fussed but he's wanting to get some scrapes and deep scratches at least improved and I was wondering if taking them to a furniture restorer would be the thing to do?

That'll cost you.
Also depends on the original finish which could be all manner of things. I believe French polishers use candle wax to repair scratches by melting it into the scratch, but I doubt if they will have been finished with shellac! Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Any idea what they're finished with?

Coloured beeswax can be used to hide small scratches. Liberon do a kit of various shades.

For more serious damage restorers use tinted shellac sticks called beaumontage. This is melted into the crack. Again Liberon sell a kit but as mentioned its for traditional shellac type finishes used on antique furniture. I think the finish on loudpeakers is more likely to be some form of polyurethane laquer.

yep,i used to use various coloured pigments to slowly paint any filled crack and blend it in matching figure and grain.

They're, I think Cherry finish so just a veneer and that all sounds about right with the wax sticks.

I'd actually just refinish them with new overlaid veneer if I had them but the front baffle is curved at the sides (only) so that starts getting tricky without a vacuum bag.

Will have to visit and see how bad they are.

Im off to look at them tonight so we'll see!

That plinth looks very nice. My last veneering job was an L shaped bath panel....it's still going well too despite humidity and various skin oils spilt on it.

After a close inspection there were a few scratches bit tbh, unless you're looking for them you'd never be bothered. I've ordered up some Liberon sticks.

I suspect he wants a new set of speakers and is starting to find excuses!!

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom