advertisement

Van Damme interconnects, are they any good?

toecutter

pfm Member
I love Van Damme movies and I think Hard target was his best ever.

I was shopping for new interconnects and found Van Damme cables.
I know jack shite about them!

Are these good for hifi in a full Naim system?
I hope these are not cheap Home depot no name cables with fancy gold plated RCA plugs branded with a cool name on the sleeve?

Do they get good reviews in What Hifi?

Would you buy these and install them in your hifi?

I love Van Damme movies and I think Hard target was his best ever.

I was shopping for new interconnects and found Van Damme cables.
I know jack shite about them!

Are these good for hifi in a full Naim system?
I hope these are not cheap Home depot no name cables with fancy gold plated RCA plugs branded with a cool name on the sleeve?

Do they get good reviews in What Hifi?

Personally, I'd recommend you look at Monster Cables, from the company founded by Bruce Lee. Enter The Dragon is probably his best, certainly most influential, work, albeit it created a degree of controversy which still rumbles on today. Just like his entry into the speaker cable market.

I don't know about reviews, but I reckon Bruce would whup the Belgian short-arse 9 times out of 10, so ask yourself would you really want to buy cables from a loser?

Ultimately would I buy either for my system?

No.

... Van Damme are a respected no-nonsense cable manufacturer often used in pro audio.
IMHO yes. I once had a seat in the Wigmore Hall right adjacent to a wall. In idle moments waiting for the concert to start I noticed that some of the cables running along the wall were branded Van Damme. Video, audio or network I am not sure but certainly a situation needing good quality, reliable, no-nonsense professional cable.

To answer the OP (but for balanced interconects rather than unbalanced that was probably meant) my own XLR cables include ones in daily use for the last six years made by designacable in Nottingham that use Van Damme cable with Neutrik connectors. IMHO they have been completely satisfactory. As are the other XLR cables I have and occasionally use, using Belden cable with Switchcraft connectors (which were made up by ATC). I only rarely use music to listen to my equipment so do take that into context in calibrating my opinion.

Yes of course I would use them: sensible prices and good quality, - and no snake oil claims.

If you want to investigate, and you think cables make a huge difference to your sound (and if you have spent thousands on cables, will you say otherwise?) and you do not like them, you will not have lost much cash, and plenty of good folk here will buy them from you, so you will loose even less.

I have also used "designacble" they made me up some rca to xlr with van damme which i intended to use as a stop gap to feed a hp amp from a dac/streamer, they're still there, never felt the need to change them, they work very well and sound fine too.

Great cables with a 'no BS' lifetime guarantee.

I've been using them for years and have been pleased with them.

I had some Van Damme interconnects and speaker cables but preferred Mogami for their accurate midrange tonal quality with Harbeths.

Thank you all for the interesting replies both serious and ironic ones.
I take it Jason Statham and Scott Adkins didn't yet gain the same iconic status like Van Damme did. 🤣🤣

Browsing Ebay has lots of cr@p 4SALE!
What I need is a custom made cable, a short stump of approx 50cm RCA to DIN 5 pin so I can connect my RCA splitter to my pre-amp Naim NAC112.
My A/V electronics using RCA audio plugs will connect to RCA splitter.
Then I will have the other inputs on my pre-amp free.

Anyone have experiance with Gotham GAC-1 interconnects?
I heard that Batman used to wire his speakers in his batmobile with these cables.

Perhaps a Chord Clearway will do better than both Van Damme and Gotham?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I had Chord Chameleon Silver plus interconnect cables throughout my system. I was using CCS+ RCA cables with RCA to XLR converters I wanted to try some XLR to XLRs. I couldn’t find any CCS+ 2nd hand. As I was very pleased with the Audio Origami tonearm lead based on VD XLE I bought some VD XLE XLR to XLR cables via eBay. Put them in and haven’t looked back. In fact I’ve changed all my interconnects to VD XLR whether RCA or XLR and sold off the CCS+. I’ve also bought a number for use in public address & music sound/PA systems.

Is there better out there. Almost certainly, however, I have found the VD XLE to be excellent in every application so far, made to order and in whatever lengths I need.

They’re not expensive. I’d suggest you try some. Order what you need. Put them in. Live with them for a few weeks. Put the old ones back and ask yourself which can I live with.

Of course, your mileage may vary. But I’m please with mine and run them in multiple systems with great musical satisfaction.

I had some Gotham but found them a bit dark. The XLE is, to my ears, more even handed across the audio spectrum with better and more tuneful bass.

They are very good for the money, don’t really do anything bad. You can of course get more resolving interconnects (pretty much any cable by RFC for example), but you might not care to pay extra, or for the difference in sound. I’ve had over £1k cables pass through on demo, sadly price is a pretty useless indicator in this realm, I would take the Van Damme over some of them.

I take it Jason Statham and Scott Adkins didn't yet gain the same iconic status like Van Damme did. 🤣🤣

What I need is a custom made cable, a short stump of approx 50cm RCA to DIN 5 pin so I can connect my RCA splitter to my pre-amp Naim NAC112.

I heard that Batman used to wire his speakers in his batmobile with these cables.

DIN to RCA is hardly custom, it's run of the mill. Most suppliers will do it. Van Damme is decent cable. I have some speaker cable from them. It's better than Van Morrison cable, these days that comes across as impolite whereas some of the earlier products were excellent.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

"I heard that Batman used to wire his speakers in his batmobile with these cables."

Yeah, he did!

Use VD Blue interconnects and find them to be tremendous VFM with a 'dark' tone which is quite pleasing.

advertisement

Back