advertisement

UV/Protector Filter

Do you use a UV/Protector filter on your lens?

• No - never considered it

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • No - because it degrades image quality

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Yes - because it protects against damage/accidents

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Yes - because I'd rather clean a filter than the lens

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Yes - because I shoot film and need a UV filter!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mjroe

pfm Member
So, I'm just wondering on other peoples view on this.

Do you put a UV/Protector filter on the front of your lenses. I did all the time with my Nikon lenses, but am thinking of not bothering with my Fuji ones.

I can see that there are various opinions as to why or why not use to uv/protector filters so I've also included a poll.

Be interesting to hear some views..

I'm in exactly the same position as you - having just swapped from Nikon to Fuji. I've been able to keep and use some of the UV filters, but since the Fuji lenses are generally smaller, I am faced with the decision to either buy a whole bunch of new, UV filters or not bother.

I've already made the decision to buy the filters on the basis that they provide protection - just have to get round to actually buying the filters (I always find more interesting things to spend the money on!)

Lefty

My kit is insured and I always use the hoods.

Is there any appreciable degradation in IQ from using a UV filter? (Genuine question - I've always used them but have not tested with / without to see if there is any difference)

Lefty

Realistically, how often does the front of a lens get damaged if it is used with reasonable care? And I don't mean paranoid, obsessive care, just automatic, normal, common sense.

On the other hand:
A UV filter adds another 2 glass surfaces, which theoretically does, inevitably, degrade IQ. As does a yellow filter to bring out the clouds and darken the sky. But as to actually noticing the difference....????

On my Leica M8 I use filters because you have to (unless you like black synthetics to appear purple). With all the other cameras the lenses go naked, though I do use rigid lens hoods as they offer a lot of protection.

My kit is insured and I always use the hoods.

Is there any appreciable degradation in IQ from using a UV filter? (Genuine question - I've always used them but have not tested with / without to see if there is any difference)

Lefty

Much bigger risk of lens flare, added to the fact that premium glass has a high line pair ratio, required to resolve onto today's high density sensors (thats why Canon are upgrading lenses, as many of their existing range is very marginal with the likes of the 5DS etc). Cheap filters will not have the same resolving power, not all glass is the same!!!

Yet to notice any degradation with a decent filter and I wouldn't dream of not protecting something like a Fuji 23mm. Sea salt is just one example of why a protection filter is money well spent in my opinion.

A filter has actually saved one of my lenses from damage (dropped: filter cracked, lens fine) and I like feeling relaxed carrying the camera in light rain / sea spray / crowds etc. If definition is super-critical you'd be using a tripod anyway and it's easy enough to take the filter off!

Genuinely interesting thread - think I'll stick with filters for now on the basis that I've been more than happy with the IQ using filters in the past and I feel more relaxed with them fitted - better safe than sorry.

If you are going to use one, just use a good quality one. Hoya have introduced a new range for 50MP and similar density sensors, so even they recognise that their previous filters did not have the required resolving power. http://www.hoyafilter.com/HD3/features-and-specs/

It's difficult to find trials on the web, but this is from 2003 and probably on a low MP sensor, but shows that the resolution with the selected filter did reduce the resolution https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/6222189

So if you are going to use one, just select appropriately, the better the coating, and quality, the better it will be.

yep, I use UV filters and not hoods... :)

If you're using a filter one of the possible consequences is an increase in flare - especially if there's no lens hood. Personally I'd always use a lens hood with a filter fitted. Just my personal opinion.

And fit it the right way round! I hate to see people with their hoods on backwards!

Pete

I generally just use a hood.

There's a good practical test of the protection a UV filter provides on this;

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so I'm a BOF, but I always put a UV filter on my lenses, for protection purposes, and they are always *cough* "good quality", such as Canon or Hoya Pro. Are they any better than a cheapo filter from fleabay? One would hope so, but who knows? And do I care? No, what's an additional forty quid on a grands worth of L series glass....

And I use my hoods as well......sorry

If you're using a filter one of the possible consequences is an increase in flare - especially if there's no lens hood. Personally I'd always use a lens hood with a filter fitted. Just my personal opinion.

yep, never really been an issue for me as such... :)

advertisement

Back