advertisement

USB to SPDIF (Coax) converter?

Ahh, ground loop is something I have experienced. Thank you for the explanations.

Right, I've cobbled together an optical connection from iMac to Preamp and, as predicted, it isn't as good as the Teac. Less dynamic range and quite boomy. Bit like the sound mum liked in the fifties/sixties. ie. "its got a lovely tone'.

Back to the drawing board then.

I’ve had both the m2tech one and the Audiophilleo 2 and the latter was indeed a nice step up.
If you’re looking for a compact solution (like the aforementioned) I’ve heard very good things about the Singxer F-1...

If you are sending a signal at 44kHz or 48kHz from a USB out into a spdif input, then try a pcm 2704 circuit. You can buy these with or without cases for about £10+. The intended market is mainly TV digital audio output. They also have an analog output eg for headphones which may be lo fidelity, but often useful for troubleshooting problems. I use one from a W10 PC to spdif into another, more co-operative, PC or into some sort of digital recorder:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=PCM2704&_sacat=0

Because you have not left the digital stream, cost means nothing. It is the box at the end with the analogue coversion that has the hard work.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thank you demotivated. I will give it a try.
As the Toslink was a non starter I have today moved the Teac DAC nearer to the amp and lengthen the usb feed to it. Doesn’t solve the problem of an added ps and DAC but at least it gets it off my desk. I’ve used a standard data ubs cable (3m) for the link. Is there any benefit to be had in upgrading the usb cable to one of the advertised ‘audio’ quality? Neo, etc?

advertisement

Back