advertisement

US bombs Syria

There is something I don't understand from reading posts here: The USA, under Obama administration did almost nothing in the ME in the last 5-6 years.
Are there members here who are claiming that the USA not involved in the ME saved even one's person life?

From the place I am sitting in, it is difficult to me to understand if people are making their opinion on some written materials or on their imagination. Estimation now is 700,000 killed in Syria, 5,000,000 lost their houses - this is all without any involvement of the USA.

Arye
Perhaps your country might have intervened, Ariegur? What could have possibly gone wrong?

Perhaps your country might have intervened, Ariegur? What could have possibly gone wrong?

Israel is intervened only in aid to wounded Syrians no matter to what power they are belonging to. Many are hospitalized in Zephath and Naharia hospitals. There is also a field hospital in the border with Syria.

Arye

Israel is intervened only in aid to wounded Syrians no matter to what power they are belonging to. Many are hospitalized in Zephath and Naharia hospitals. There is also a field hospital in the border with Syria.

Arye

That's commendable, Arye. I still can't see what kind of intervention by the US could have achieved without making such a complex situation even worse.
I believe the Russians are the only outside power that could make a positive contribution but they seem to be a little...err...reluctant.

That's commendable, Arye. I still can't see what kind of intervention by the US could have achieved without making such a complex situation even worse.
I believe the Russians are the only outside power that could make a positive contribution but they seem to be a little...err...reluctant.

For example:
Obama could bomb the chemical storages several years ago.
Obama could announce on closed areas for flights.

Arye

Have just been watching Sky News. They've had an old English guy on, a former ambassador I think, talking about the Syria/America/UK situation.

"If we get rid of Assad, who can we put in his place?" he asked. "There is nobody. That's why he is still there."

The UK can't decide who should lead Syria. They don't have a vote. Why can't these moronic, power mad politicians and diplomats understand this? Especially the Americans.

There again America has been responsible for more wars and invasions that any other country in the world during the last 25 years. In many of them England has run along behind licking America's backside clean.

America is a country run by billionaires and corporations. They want to make money and don't care who dies in the process. It isn't America first, it is them first. The mugs who voted for Trump are in the process of finding out about this.

Jack

For example:
Obama could bomb the chemical storages several years ago.
Obama could announce on closed areas for flights.

Arye

The west should stay out of the ME, if Israel feels threatened they need to deal with the problems themselves and not hide behind the US' coat tails.

It's not as if Israel doesn't have the weapons as a $38 billion weapons deal has been signed.

The west should stay out of the ME, if Israel feels threatened they need to deal with the problems themselves and not hide behind the US' coat tails.

It's not as if Israel doesn't have the weapons as a $38 billion weapons deal has been signed.

Israel controls USA Middle East policy, and has for at least 25 years. The USA controls UK Middle East policy, and has for at least 40 years.

Israel can protect itself, but this is not the issue in this case. The question is if the West have to stop mass murder or not.

Arye

Israel can protect itself, but this is not the issue in this case. The question is if the West have to stop mass murder or not.

Arye

No it isn't. What is happening in Syria has got absolutely nothing to do with me in London.

Feel free to sort it out yourself.

Jack

That is exactly the sad point.

Arye

Why is it sad? I am not a Syrian and I don't live there. There are people being killed by various governments around the world. I don't think Britian should go into these countries either.

There is a right-wing party is in power in the UK. It thinks it can govern other countries around the world, yet it doesn't even deal with its own population in a humanitarian way. Now that is sad and it affects me directly.

Jack

Why is it sad? I am not a Syrian and I don't live there. There are people being killed by various governments around the world. I don't think Britian should go into these countries either.

There is a right-wing party is in power in the UK. It thinks it can govern other countries around the world, yet it doesn't even deal with its own population in a humanitarian way. Now that is sad and it affects me directly.

Jack

It is sad because people don't want to keep the lives of other innocent citizens around the globe if no interests are involved.

I have no doubt that if the war in Syria prevents oil to the UK and people of the UK were not able to drive their cars, then, it was ok to be involved in this war.

Can you explain to me, beside of the important mission to make decisions against Israel twice a day, what do you think the UN is for?

Arye

There is something I don't understand from reading posts here: The USA, under Obama administration did almost nothing in the ME in the last 5-6 years.
Are there members here who are claiming that the USA not involved in the ME saved even one's person life?

From the place I am sitting in, it is difficult to me to understand if people are making their opinion on some written materials or on their imagination. Estimation now is 700,000 killed in Syria, 5,000,000 lost their houses - this is all without any involvement of the USA.

Arye

After the failures of Iraq and Afghanistan the US lost its taste for military adventures abroad, apart from the odd drone strike which killed a few tribesmen and their goats. The Arab spring was an abject failure, with only Islamic fundamentalists able to build a cohesive movement to fill the power vacuum. Why this is the case I don't know, why can't these countries build modern democratic movements? And the US doesn't really care about civilians dying anyway, in fact they often back dictators when it suits their interests. Some blame the US and its meddling in the Middle East for Islamic fundamentalism, some blame them more directly for Isis, watch the Adam Curtis documentaries for views on this.

After the failures of Iraq and Afghanistan the US lost its taste for military adventures abroad, apart from the odd drone strike which killed a few tribesmen and their goats. The Arab spring was an abject failure, with only Islamic fundamentalists able to build a cohesive movement to fill the power vacuum. Why this is the case I don't know, why can't these countries build modern democratic movements? And the US doesn't really care about civilians dying anyway, in fact they often back dictators when it suits their interests. Some blame the US and its meddling in the Middle East for Islamic fundamentalism, some blame them more directly for Isis, watch the Adam Curtis documentaries for views on this.

Because every time they elect a Government the USA doesn't like (Syria in 1949, Iran in 1953, Afghanistan 1979-89, Algeria in 1992 and Egypt in 2013) the USA engineers a (usually military) coup.
So the Islamist parties are not allowed to fail in Government and appear to still be 'the answer'. And every time it happens the Islamist position moves more extreme.

Because every time they elect a Government the USA doesn't like (Syria in 1949, Iran in 1953, Afghanistan 1979-89, Algeria in 1992 and Egypt in 2013) the USA engineers a (usually military) coup.
So the Islamist parties are not allowed to fail in Government and appear to still be 'the answer'. And every time it happens the Islamist position moves more extreme.

I don't think that the USA was involved in the 2013 elections in Egypt.

Arye

I don't think that the USA was involved in the 2013 elections in Egypt.

Arye

You don't think the USA played a significant role in the military coup that replaced the Islamic Brotherhood Government, and made the Islamic Brotherhood itself illegal ? Of course not. :rolleyes:
I do not necessarily agree with any of the aims of the Islamic Brotherhood but trying to suppress (ie jail, torture and kill) these people only makes their movement stronger and more violent. They have to be allowed to govern and to fail and be discredited. It may now be too late as any failure can be blamed on 'the West' (just look at Erdogan) and it will be believed whether true or false.

The West should stay out of the Middle East - I agree and have said so for years.

Israel is perfectly capable of taking care of itself and has proved over many decades. No one fecks with Israel.

The West should stay out of the Middle East - I agree and have said so for years.

Israel is perfectly capable of taking care of itself and has proved over many decades. No one fecks with Israel.

Well it is too late now. 'The West' (USA and UK) have destroyed much of the Middle East and do not appear to be finished yet. They have the responsibility to put Humpty Dumpty back together again and that will cost at least as much as breaking him.

It is never too late to stay out of the Middle East. The West has got it wrong for 100 years. Time to leave it alone.

advertisement

Back