advertisement

URIKA - XLR/Naim Din plugs Vs Phono plugs

I run a a pretty much classic Linn LP 12 /Naim Olive active System with into a Naim Nac 72, Snaxo and 2 x Olive 250's and Naim SL2s. The LP 12 is vintage 1990 with Karousel, Keel, Radical 1, Aro, Trioka. I recently had to part with my my much loved Paradise Phono stage and I have a an Aro compatible Linn Urika 1 which I want to install to replace it. Apart from whether the Urika will be compatible with the Troika ( which may be trail and error unless someone else has tried it) I have two other concerns.

1) Firstly should I look to replace the Linn Interconnect or power connector cable to the Ridikal . Both cables look fairly bog standard and in the past I have not got on well with Linn cables ( I found the Linn Silver used as an interconnect with my Paradise phone stage to be a little dry with a bloom in the upper bass) .
2) Should I consider using an interconnect cable which uses the XLR sockets and perhaps Naim dins which could be plugged into an aux input on the 72 in place of a lead which uses the the Standard RCA phono sockets( the supplied Linn lead has RCA plugs on ) on the Urika (XLR) and on the the pre amp (Din Sockets) .
I should point out that the Pre amp has all the phono cards etc removed so that the phono input with RCA sockets is line-level and in theory is the same as the aux input.

I would be really interested to hear of any benifits or otherwise that other Urika 1 owners have experienced through experimenting with different cables to the stock cables and also trying the different socket /plug combinations. Since obviously fitting a Urika involves a complete install I would be keen to get a winning combination straight off. All advice gratefully received.

The XLR outs on the Urika are balanced and incompatible with your 72, apart from that they use transformers to convert to balanced and sound slightly worse unless feeding long cables in a noisy environment.

Troika should be fine - I have an Akiva which IIRC has similar specs and it works really well with a Urika - my deck is an almost identical spec to yours.

I've never tried changing the Radikal power cable, so can't help you there.

I would however recommend getting hold of an RCA-DIN interconnect and running that into the 72. Even a basic Chord in that configuration sounded clearly better on mine than using RCA-RCA Linn Silvers into an RCA input (this was with a 552). A RCA-DIN hiline sounded even better, surprisingly made more difference on the LP12 than on my KDS, no idea why.

I've never tried using the XLR outputs, although XLR-DIN interconnects are pretty thin on the ground. Based on what's said above, there seems to be a reason for that!

Thanks both! that's progress already. I can discount the XLRs and focus on the cable issue. Looks like the way to go may well be RCA/ Din.
The reassurance about the Troika is also gratefully received!

Defo RCA to Din and use the Tuner input on your Nac 72 it's a shorter signal path and makes a noticeable improvement .

advertisement

Back