advertisement

upnp software for Mac and Mood Mind

uncl_nigel

pfm Member
I have been using Asset upnp software on the Mac to serve files to the Moon Mind.

Things were fine and dandy until I wanted to add a directory with classical music to the Asset configuration.

The problem is in finding the classical music in the mass of pop and folk (the experiment was with 5 Hyperion sampler downloads added to nearly 1500 CD rips). When I search by composer I end up with an ocean of pop song authors drowning the classical fish I am looking for.

Since running the ASSET software in parallel with itself did not work - I tried setting up one session to look at the pop etc and the other to look at the classical but no matter what I did if I changed one configuration it changed both.

I have come to the conclusion that the solution is probably to run two different sets of software.

What would you recommend for "composer" based libraries (i.e. classical)?

What would you recommend for "artist/album" based libraries (i.e. pop, rock, folk)?

Can you not first select a Genre, ie classical, then look at that by composer?

If not, have a look at J River Media Center. It lets you construct any number of views to suit you. You could have classical in composer order, Jazz in bass player order, whatever you fancy and have the tags for.

Asset supports browsing, searching and sorting by composer and genre. Have you populated those tags?

Overpopulated the composer tag - automatically by dbpoweramp. It would take ages to remove the composer tags from the pop rock folk so that only the classical composers show up.

When you list by "classical" you get the albums in order of artist not composer...

I use Asset UPnP and I wanted to separate my classical from rock etc, just like you do.

It's now relatively easy because in the Windows version (I guess the MAC version too) it's possible to have multiple instances of Asset. You will need the latest Asset version, and possibly you also need the paid version (but it's not expensive).

I actually solved the problem some time ago before the multiple instances were available, by tweaking the configuration files, and introducing a new Id-tag that I called 'category' (Classical/Modern/Folk). A fair bit of tag editing needed initially, but that betters the 'instances' solution in that it's a bit easier to switch between classical and modern.

I use Asset UPnP and I wanted to separate my classical from rock etc, just like you do.

It's now relatively easy because in the Windows version (I guess the MAC version too) it's possible to have multiple instances of Asset. You will need the latest Asset version, and possibly you also need the paid version (but it's not expensive).

I actually solved the problem some time ago before the multiple instances were available, by tweaking the configuration files, and introducing a new Id-tag that I called 'category' (Classical/Modern/Folk). A fair bit of tag editing needed initially, but that betters the 'instances' solution in that it's a bit easier to switch between classical and modern.

The multiple instances route seems more attractive - I just don't see myself editing the tags of nearly 1500 albums!

If you want to remove the composer tag from non classical, J River will do this in moments, with a few keystrokes. It’s free for a month. But if you used J River, you wouldn’t need to!

If you want to remove the composer tag from non classical, J River will do this in moments, with a few keystrokes. It’s free for a month. But if you used J River, you wouldn’t need to!

Is river a upnp server like Asset or software to convert the computer into a streamer? Their site does not appear very clear about this.

It is a server, renderer, player, ripper, tagger, organiser .. very powerful. Download it, point it at your library, let it load, turn on the Media Network and you should have a UPnP server. Then play around with configuring views - for example Classical by Composer, the rest by Artist - whatever suits you. There is a lot of help on their forum.

Although I use J River, I have heard very good things about minimserver. I believe it is particularly good for classical, and very configureable, so maybe give that a shot too.

It is up and running with two "instances" running. Easy to set up two instances.

First impressions of the sort by composer in classical are rather good.

Only one little problem with this "beta" so far - you have to tick the "stop system sleep" box or you lose communication between the Asset software and the streamer.

advertisement

Back