advertisement

Upgrading my Nikon D40

Alex S

carbon based lifeform
It was entry level in 2006 and has served me well. Generally, I shoot for fun with an iPhone but I need a serious camera for work, for show as much as anything. So I was looking at 2023 Nikons and they don't seem to make DSLRs at all any more! I have a few DX lenses that I want to keep so what should I get? I need more megapixels than 6 since I can't always get where I need or faff about with lenses on site and need to crop. My work camera needs a decent battery and reasonable weatherproofing. I'm thinking D3500 or better s/h, or Z50 and an adapter but don't particularly fancy either to be honest.

Alex,

A D500 is as good as it gets if (1) you want to stick with Nikon, (2) want a DSLR, and (3) have only DX lenses. A clean used D500 ought to be at or near your budget.

Joe

D500 is the best DX Nikon you will find. Superb IQ, massive buffer capacity, 10fps if I remember correctly, good image processing and highly customisable. I started on a D40 years ago, followed by a D300. The difference between the D40 and D500 is not subtle. I had one for several years before moving to a full frame D850.

I still have and use my D40 it is a nice little camera but since 2012 I have used a D3200 for a similar but better resolution experience.
It all depends on what you are shooting and if you want to carry larger heavier cameras that although on paper are better, may not be better for what you need. The requirement for weatherproofing may take you to more robust Nikon cameras, I like small cameras so make do without weatherproofing. It may be worth trading everything in and getting something else altogether there is some great stuff around - I fancy Panasonic, Sigma and Sony myself (maybe even Canon! :)) but there is loads of gear about......can be a bit bewildering!

Last edited:
Thanks Joe, looking at D7200 as similar but cheaper option.
That's where i might look. The D5 series (the next APSC cameras from the 3000's) are unsung heroes. You'll easily find a used one in budget. The later ones obviously will have better autofcus. Habe you looked on MPB's website. Hundreds of used nikons there. Only look at 'like new' and buy with a low shutter count is my best advice.
I'd not think a FF Nikon will suit your lenses honestly. Good APSC D5500 or D7500 is the way ahead.

Only look at 'like new'
Would you also consider 'excellent'? I see excellent D7100s on MPB for around £270 which seems a good deal and probably plenty good enough for my needs - although it would be nice I don't need great fps or super high iso performance.

Would you also consider 'excellent'? I see excellent D7100s on MPB for around £270 which seems a good deal and probably plenty good enough for my needs - although it would be nice I don't need great fps or super high iso performance.
Certainly. Have a close look at the four photos below the camera. IMO looks are way less important than abuse. High shutter count models (at a 7100 age, that might be over 25000/30000) will probably have been pro used and could be a tad battered. Excellent with a low shutter count is a more sensible approach.
Regarding the 7100 it was the best in it's day, but the 7200 made a few vital changes internally which allow easier low light shooting. If you do any indoor stuff, then the 7200 is a much better option. If not, then the 7100 is great. I looked at the one you mention and that looks fine. IIRC the 7000 range are designed for 150000 shutter actuations so 20-30000 isn't much.
IMO :)

Alex,

A D500 is as good as it gets if (1) you want to stick with Nikon, (2) want a DSLR, and (3) have only DX lenses. A clean used D500 ought to be at or near your budget.

Joe
Yes the D500 is a superb DX format camera, I used one for a few years for sports photography, its essentially a DX format D850. You can probably pick one up used for $700, perhaps less from a private seller.

Oops just saw that you already bought your replacement...

One good thing about getting the D7100 instead of the D500 is I can get a couple of lenses. I've added a Tokina 100mm Macro. Our Ken raved about it and I can see why. The 35mm seems fine (and I'll keep the 55-200) but the kit 18-55 has been consigned to daughter gift status, together with the D40.

I can tell right away that my new Tokina is far better at photography than I am.

I think you will find that a lot of kit is far better than most of us, like everything worth doing it's all about practice, practice, practice.....

advertisement

Back