advertisement

Unrepresentative pressure groups.

Mick, you're talking nonsense, and you know it.

Also, ask yourself the question - if the nuclear industry isn't stupid, why build where they do? Yes, the economic arguments are sound, but safety? Do you really think they care or even consider that?

One of the great downsides of capitalism is being exposed here.

Actually Mick is correct, the technology for molten salt reactors will never be ready on time to avoid an energy crunch. Governments should have planned ahead years ago, even if they start building using known reactor technologies it will not solve the problem as there are not enough companies who can make the pressure vessels, the only U.K. one shut down some time ago, and if there is a nuclear power plant that was built on time and on budget, I have not heard about it.

Mick, you're talking nonsense, and you know it.

Also, ask yourself the question - if the nuclear industry isn't stupid, why build where they do? Yes, the economic arguments are sound, but safety? Do you really think they care or even consider that?

One of the great downsides of capitalism is being exposed here.

Avole

Congratulations for telling me I am talking nonsense despite being in the industry for 12 years.

I think that you have proved beyond doubt that my input into energy discussions is a total waste of time.

I now throw the towel in and depart and I shall leave you to run around in ever decreasing and pointless discussions.

Mick

I did read the link. I have been reading about it for several years. It is still too far off from being developed for it to impact on our present energy supply problems.

Perhaps on a large scale. Afaik molten salt SMR is pretty viable for the not too distant future. Seems to me that a mixture of renewable and SMR could be a sensible approach but as ever you want to paint it black and white.

Apologies for my ignorance and google fatigue but what are the Germans doing about their energy challenges?

Avole

Congratulations for telling me I am talking nonsense despite being in the industry for 12 years.

I think that you have proved beyond doubt that my input into energy discussions is a total waste of time.

I now throw the towel in and depart and I shall leave you to run around in ever decreasing and pointless discussions.

Mick
I respect you for admitting you are wrong, Mick. No need to throw in the towel.

Gotta interrupt the speculation on this thread for a quick fact-check:

1. Nukes are proving badly uneconomic, particularly in North America, where the overwhelming majority of recent reactor applications have been withdrawn:

Of those 24 applications for reactors filed in 2008, only four have resulted in new construction. “In a competitive market, you can’t even come close to making the math work on building new nuclear plants,”

That's despite the industry being massively subsidised.

Meanwhile, times they are a-changing in the solar sector:

“We’re at a point now where demand starts to be driven by cold, hard economics rather than by subsidies and that is a game changer,” says Jason Channell of Citigroup.

Another global bank, UBS, says an “unsubsidised solar revolution” has begun that could eventually supply as much as 18 per cent of electricity demand in parts of Europe.

“Purely based on economics, we believe almost every family home and every commercial rooftop in Germany, Italy and Spain should be equipped with a solar system by the end of this decade,” it said in a research note. Such an outcome would have enormous implications for a conventional power industry long accustomed to its coal, gas or nuclear plants being the sole source of its customers’ electricity.

That's unsubsidised.

Are you confused again by a simple statement?
it's the simplicity of the statement and the swerving of the facts in order to present a contrary position to what you perceive to be the group most likely to get emotional in response (the T word). . . why you always do it is the puzzling part.

Gotta interrupt the speculation on this thread for a quick fact-check:

1. Nukes are proving badly uneconomic, particularly in North America, where the overwhelming majority of recent reactor applications have been withdrawn:

That's despite the industry being massively subsidised.

Meanwhile, times they are a-changing in the solar sector:

That's unsubsidised.

Once solar hits about 100GWhr/yr installed you can use the production lines for large panel displays and the price drops 70%.

I'd think saving the planet would be first on the list.

I'd think the fact that they can afford to laze about chaining themselves to a fence to "protest" is entirely what it's all about. Easy to have "principles" when you live in a privileged position in a rich nation and don't have to worry about where the food/money is coming from to feed your child or pay for the medicines to save them from infectious diseases.

First world people and their "problems", heaven save us. :rolleyes:

The energy issue will never be solved for as long as we (as in humanity) continue to think in terms of nations and political boundaries.

advertisement

Back