advertisement

Unknown tonearm identification

starbuck

pfm Member
Just wondering if anyone recognises this headshell-less tonearm from the slightly grainy attached picture?

url

Thanks, good spot. From the little information I have been able to find about them I think that you're right.

It is most of a Neat G30 as spotted above, though it is mounted on a Lenco L70 and is using the Lenco's built-in cueing device.

I have the Neat G30 J which i bought as NOS last year.

I think the G30 was to take heavy carts,where the J is for light ones,guessing originally Shure MM etc.

I'm using mine with a Hana EL one as they are only 5g.

IMG_1934.jpg

IMG_3729.jpg

To confirm that it was indeed most of a Neat G30, mounted onto a very tidy looking Goldring GL59. Minus the original Neat headshell though any standard headshell will fit it. Its quite a smart looking combination in the flesh, the arm being a really nice cosmetic match to my eyes.

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions as to how one could add an anti skate option to a tonearm that is presently without one? The G30 (which looks like the one in pil's photos, with weights in silver rather than black) is such an arm and I don't like the idea of using it without any anti-skate (or bias: I'm not sure which is the correct term) adjustment, and getting something like the falling weight on a thread of say an SME 3009 would be great.

Making up (or buying) the bias guide and weight is not a problem, it's where to attach the nylon thread on the arm itself that I am unsure about. Attach a rod to the top of the bearing housing (ala SME)? Nylon thread tied around the counterweight rod, behind the bearing housing? What do others think about how best to implement?

The way i did it was to use a small o ring over the rear stub,then tuck the thread through it,then just move the o ring futher back or forward depending on amount needed.
I use a 2 and a 1/2 gram weight.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom