advertisement

UK Hifi Show Live at Ascot Racecourse post mortem

Did any one experience the Lowther room?
I am aware the brand is very polarizing, however my one and only experience with it was goosebumps positive.

Many years ago I visited Audio Consult in Copenhagen, a historical shop with a long standing collaboration with Audio Note.
Lowther being high efficiency were being demoed with some AudioNote triodes.
Honestly I don’t remember the setup, couldn’t afford it, just that the combination left me in awe and is one of the fondest hifi memories I have.
Keep wondering if I am a SET/high efficiency guy… alas my current setup is more easy to live with.

Curious if the “new” Lowther is being received positively.

I also get that goosebumps feeling whenever I hear Lowthers. Not to everyone's taste it seems, but, rather like Decca cartridges, they're capable of doing things that other equipment can't hope to get anywhere near.

Two decent sounding rooms for me were those of the MBL speakers and the DS audio mega-master or whatever it was.... the Klipsch sounded very easy to listen to but they never cranked them up.

This is dull. Thank God I didn’t go.
If you watch the video at around 7m30sec you'll see a guy in the Cadence room who must agree with you. Whilst everyone else is listening to the system he is standing there listening to something else on his Beats headphones! 🤣

well sadly they completely upset one of the biggest hifi forums by refusing the leaders trade passes so it got a very very negative press because of that . which is a great shame . bit of an own goal there
I don't think HFN will be bothered in the slightest. Those are the people they don't want at their shows. If they are not in the trade (dealer, distributor or press) then why not just buy a ticket if you want to go. Just because you run a forum doesn't mean you should be entitled to any free entry tickets. The HFN show is targeted at selling new high end audio equipment to those with money, not to those who DIY, or promote and talk about buying and selling used equipment.

Its a shame verity audio was not there , they are worth hearing .do hope they try a bit harder to exhibit at shows

Thanks for posting the links and comments. Looks much more European than the typical UK HiFi show.

Hopefully I will be able to get there next year.

Two decent sounding rooms for me were those of the MBL speakers and the DS audio mega-master or whatever it was.... the Klipsch sounded very easy to listen to but they never cranked them up.
Really! I thought they sounded broken

I don't normally comment on here but as the Wam was mentioned I will.

I was refused a Press pass and received a very offensive response which was totally unnecessary. It is their Show and if they do not want to give me a PRESS pass, just say no. I have no problem paying but wanted to go on Friday to meet and talk to some companies. Friday was the Press day and we were scheduled to pick up some audio equipment. This would allow us to talk to the companies and not disturb visitors. I was told two other reviewers, who write in the print press, were also refused Press passes.

I (and another reviewer) asked for the negative responses to be removed from the Wam as we do not want to start negative threads against others.

I went to their last Show, paid and also wrote up an overview on the Wam of what I saw as it was a good show with a lot of attendees. I do not run the forum and two of our reviewers also write in the print press. Anyway water under the bridge.

Thought the Rogers LS3/5a with their bass extenders sounded reasonably good. The £6000 price tag was on the high side though.

advertisement

Back