advertisement

[WTD] Turntable wall shelf

moomaloo

pfm Member
Good afternoon all. I'm looking for a wall shelf to try to bring my Ariston under control. It is utterly hopeless on its sideboard atop of a suspended wooden floor... Whether a wall-mount on an internal plasterboard wall will make any real difference I don't know. But I'd like to try it. - Looking for anything really, provided it's cheap! Any colour, with or without baseboard considered (I can spray it and make my own plinth support if necessary).

Anyone...?

I have an Audiotech wallshelf and a Mana reference wall shelf, please PM if interested, pick up preferred or arrange a courier

Whether a wall-mount on an internal plasterboard wall will make any real difference I don't know.
I've had many Target wall shelves (v. good) but would hesitate to put those 6 screws into a stud wall, even with good stud fixings. Of course, if you can find the uprights and fix battens across it could be okay. Maybe there are other types which don't present a problem with plasterboard walls, like suspended shelves, e.g. which only need two fixings.

Maybe make your own with struts at, say 40 degrees up from the skirting board to the front of the shelf but you'd still need a decent batten across the back; the whole being rigid. This was my support for 401/SME etc in the seventies, when wall shelves weren't around.

Last edited:
Target - used here - excellent.

As @Mike Reed - you are never, ever going to be able to fix a wall-shelf to plasterboard using any commercial fixings, or not for long anyway - you MUST find the frame in the wall, and fix generous battens.

You only need the upper screws - they are in tension, the lower ones are not and act as decoration, nothing more. The lower batten will just be a spacer.

Thanks for the advice and to the Dark Lord for his offers. I’ve used the Target and the very similar Sound Organisation shelves in the past (both on plasterboard walls - I know what I’m doing!)

Still looking- in the 50/60 quid ballpark…

I have a Target shelf, black, with base board and all the fixings. I think it’s a TT1, but I can send photos if you’re interested. I think I could pack it securely and send via Parcelforce.

Target - used here - excellent.

As @Mike Reed - you are never, ever going to be able to fix a wall-shelf to plasterboard using any commercial fixings, or not for long anyway - you MUST find the frame in the wall, and fix generous battens.

You only need the upper screws - they are in tension, the lower ones are not and act as decoration, nothing more. The lower batten will just be a spacer.
Correct, as ever. I'd even be doubtful about fixing into an old brick internal wall with plugs etc - deep drill and chem fix with studding is safe.

advertisement

Back