advertisement

Turntable speed analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll borrow the test record from sq and record mine if that is OK Paul (I dont think my test records have a 3KHz test tone)? The deck uses a belt drive and an AC sychronus motor - the chassis is suspended but fluid damped.

OK - I've changed the caps back on my phono boards (no drama there). I feel awful after this mornings dental surgery though :(.

Maybe, but can you deduce that from these 'steady state' recordings?
No, I think it is a matter of reason that an LP12 won't smoothly(!) wow over a period of seconds in response to stylus drag. The subchassis wobbling around under all sorts of stimuli is another matter altogether.

Paul

Analogue Productions test record.
I'll post images tomorrow but the spectrum of the tone looks the same as phix's, two separated peaks. I think a query to Analogue Productions might be in order.

Paul

Interesting you should say that Paulthat tone just never sounded like a pure tone, it always sounds a little 'phasey' if that makes any sense.

I will probably be able to borrow the record that Andrew used in a week or so, which would make for an interesting comparison.

I do wonder how much of these measured artifacts are down to the test record.

Simon's,

The tone,

sq_3150_base.png

Markedly similar to phix's taken from the same test disc.

The wow spectrum,

sq_3150_demod.png

Since producing this I found a review that suggested the pulley/platter ratio is 40:1, implying the motor speed is 1333 rpm (which seems fast?) or 22.2Hz. Expanding the plot suggests there may be a peak at 22.2Hz, but you have to be looking for it. OTOH the plot above shows a peak at 5.56, which is near enough 0.25 of 22.2Hz. Perhaps that's a motor artifact? The other peaks, other than the ones related to eccentricity, who knows....

The polar plot,

sq_3150_polar.png

I'm not seeing much in this one yet.

Paul

Now YNWOAN,

The tone,

YNWOAN_3150_base.png

Everybody is running at slightly different speeds, but not by enough to worry about...

The wow spectrum,

YNWOAN_3150_demod.png

It would be interesting to know more about the mechanical arrangement of the turntable, to see whether any of the modest peaks can be explained.

And polar,

YNWOAN_3150_polar.png

Paul

I meant how do you make difference on the polar plot between record eccentricity, idler beat and motor shaft eccentricity? How do you recognize those factors on the plot?
The polar plot represents a small number of revolutions of the platter, the further the line gets from the notional centre the faster the speed. The shape you see has to be interpreted. I think your original plot had 6 corners, and the idler rotates 6 times to turn the platter once. I don't know what the regular kink on the current plot represents, perhaps it is just tolerance on the platter drive surface.

I think that displaying the polar data on different timebases might be interesting, on the basis of a belt orbit, or a whole number of drive pulley revolutions. And animating the plot might show up regularities.

I do wonder how much of these measured artifacts are down to the test record.
Undoubtedly some are, after all the test record captures the errors inherent in the lathe. But as a basis for investigating turntables I think there's potential, on a comparative basis as you upgrade or modify.

Paul

Many thanks Paul for all of this - very interesting indeed.

It would be interesting to know more about the mechanical arrangement of the turntable, to see whether any of the modest peaks can be explained

Could do, but I'm not sure what the modest peaks represent?

The Polar plot is quite a good result it seems to me, or is it? It does seem quite even and round.

I think it is interesting to compare to sq225917's as exactly the same record was used. However, the deck configurations are quite different. he has an entirely non-suspended design that uses a DC motor with an elaborate feedback circuit (SME10). Mine is suspended (though the suspension is damped) and an AC motor is used with only a large transformer between it and the mains (no other filtering). Sq has a gimbal arm and I have a unipivot - both are belt drive and the platter masses are similar.

Could do, but I'm not sure what the modest peaks represent?
The plot is the spectrum of the speed variations, from 0 - 20Hz. So the peaks on the left are the eccentricity of the record at 0.55Hz and 1.1Hz. On my Linn I have an obvious peak at 4.2Hz which is the motor rpm. If I repeat the test at 45rpm using a Lingo this peak moves up to 5.6Hz.

The Polar plot is quite a good result it seems to me, or is it? It does seem quite even and round.
I'm not sure it is very useful except with obvious problems with, say, an idler. OTOH the potential of this form of display definitely warrants more investigation. If a complete loop were timed for a complete cycle of the belt then belt flaws might be revealed, for example.

Paul

Hmm..interesting...there doesn't seem to be any obvious peak at 4.2Hz.

I wonder if the spikes could be the result of commutator noise - what do you think?

I wonder if the jaggediness is the notorious suspension wobble?

Doesn't sq225917's also show this quality? His deck doesn't have a suspension.

It would be interesting to see the results from a Nottingham Analogue as these use slow speed, low torque, AC motors.
And, of course, a Technics 1200/1210!

So, do these results really tell us anything? I can lock up the suspension on my deck quite easily (it has bolts to do exactly that) and could record again.

I have got a spare arm and cartridge, I could probably rig that up on the deck too, so that it creates variable drag - the extra mass may prove an issue, but it may not - will try tomorrow.

Using a pure 3150Hz tone from Audacity,

The base spectrum,

Ideal_3150_base.png

The spectrum of the demodulated tone,

Ideal_3150_demod.png

and the polar plot of the demodulated tone,

Ideal_3150_polar.png

Not very exciting, as one would expect.

Paul

Using a 3150Hz tone modulated fairly strongly at 4Hz,

The base spectrum,

fm3150_base.png

The spectrum of the demodulated tone,

fm3150_demod.png

and the polar plot of the demodulated tone,

fm3150_polar.png

I think this shows that the process produces sensible results.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back