advertisement

Turntable Question

Hi,
If you have your Xerxes, you could keep it and consider some upgrades with a new tonearm. There’s a good chance your suspension “blobs” are stiff and brittle as they’re now over thirty years old. Roksan offers newly designed blobs, the XB 3is. Much cheaper is a replacement, tungsten carbide, main bearing ball, originally developed for the TMS 3. The latest platter mat, the RMat-7, is a worthwhile purchase as is Vertere's recently introduced mat and, if your XPS-1 or II still works, congratulations! Nevertheless, the easily tuned XPS-7 or Vertere SG-1 Motor Drives provide considerable gains in performance, not to say reliability. And I wouldn’t have thought the cable between the Motor Drive and the turntable could make a difference, until I auditioned a Vertere.

You haven’t set forth a budget, so I would suggest along with the worthy Nimas, Artemizes and Saras, the Vertere SG-1 tonearm or, should you have no budgetary considerations, the RG-1. Like the Regas, the Nimas, the Artemizes and the Saras, the Vertere arms are “drop-in” replacements.

In my humble opinion, the Roksan Xerxes was not a very good turntable (I know, because I had one). I think that virtually any mid-range or higher modern deck would be better by a considerable margin.

Mine measures well and sounds great so maybe it depends.

Tim

In my humble opinion, the Roksan Xerxes was not a very good turntable (I know, because I had one). I think that virtually any mid-range or higher modern deck would be better by a considerable margin.

I've not owned one but have spent a lot of time using them and listening to them and It beats the LP12 by a silly amount!!

I have just bought 10 2mm tungsten balls for £6.30, I will pop one in the xerxes when they arrive.

Might knock up some blobs next.

;)

Pete

Every turntable manufacturer is jumping on the bandwagon today selling cheap Chinese/Eastern European junk. To get decent quality, you have to pretty much pay an arm and a leg.

I costs MUCH more to get a given level of quality from vinyl that it does to get that same level of quality from CD/WAV files.

Every turntable manufacturer is jumping on the bandwagon today selling cheap Chinese/Eastern European junk. To get decent quality, you have to pretty much pay an arm and a leg.

I costs MUCH more to get a given level of quality from vinyl that it does to get that same level of quality from CD/WAV files.

I absolutely agree. Hard not to love the beautifully engineered greatest British turntables though...

The original xerxes was a good deck and quite well made. Yes, the original power supply was a known failure point but I could imagine that making that deck today would cost considerably more? I had two that I purchased second hand and they were brilliant.
Fixing the top plinth sag is easy with a bit of diy if required with some know how.
I’m not sure that the technology has really changed that much other than materials used in construction and extra modern features such as building in the phono stage or usb etc?
Most good decks still use some sort of plinth made from wood or mdf coated in plastic, metal or carbon fibre? The basic turntable just needs to spin the platter at the correct speed.
I purchased a clearaudio performance dc a few years ago just to simplify the process. No tweaking or fiddling around with anything, just spin records and enjoy.
If looking at a new turntable I would definitely recommend purchasing something that you could try or return? Also Roksan have just released their new attessa turntable that looks rather good for the price.

The original xerxes was a good deck and quite well made. Yes, the original power supply was a known failure point but I could imagine that making that deck today would cost considerably more? I had two that I purchased second hand and they were brilliant.
Fixing the top plinth sag is easy with a bit of diy if required with some know how.

Quite well made?? Yet you mention two major failure points! The Xerxes was by far the worse turntable I have ever had the misfortune to own; I even felt guilty about selling it!

I’ll admit that I never experienced the initial problem(s) as I purchased mine decades later. however I feel that they were well made. the power supply components and design were of their time, much like the lp12 and the Valhalla? I’m sure everything is relative and the fact that most modern turntable power supplies are no longer designed to dissipate several watts probably is the most modern design choice made?

The trouble is though, that Garrard 301's/401's made decades ago are still running beautifully with little maintenance & sound better too. WRT to heat dissipation, it's not as if this is some kind of new science! It's one of the first things that any engineer will learn; schoolboy stuff.

Yes understood, Idlers are all running beautifully and I’m no engineer. Shifting back to Roksan or something different, I would suggest the op try something similar to what they originally liked or try something that you can demo at home in your system and return

Still got my xerxes if you remove the platter when not in use it helps stop the sag , they was cheap at one time , last one i bought was £125 , but going up in price now like all hifi , phil.

Hi all, just to say thank you so much for all of the responses to my initial question. To add a bit more detail about my own situation, although I have my Xerxes and other kit from many years ago I want a fresh start. I was looking at the Rega P6 as a possible turntable from which to build the rest of the system around. I am still trying to get my head around all of the digital options available. I have auditioned a Naim atom and need to further research if the P6 would work well here as a minimal box solution. If not then to consider other options over time....

Hi all, just to say thank you so much for all of the responses to my initial question. To add a bit more detail about my own situation, although I have my Xerxes and other kit from many years ago I want a fresh start. I was looking at the Rega P6 as a possible turntable from which to build the rest of the system around. I am still trying to get my head around all of the digital options available. I have auditioned a Naim atom and need to further research if the P6 would work well here as a minimal box solution. If not then to consider other options over time....

I had a P6/Ania. It's terrific. Go for it.

The Technics 1210 mk7 and 1500C are about £900 new. I understand both have the new coreless motor. My experience is that Technics and Well Tempered decks deliver the power without delay to keep the record spinning at the right speed, but it's easier to fit a top notch arm to a Technics.

My recollection from an audition at a Linn dealer in the 80s was that the Xerxes sounded as good as a top Sondek back then. Few were doing listening room auditions against Technics in those days.

Be sure to hear a Technics before plonking down a grand. The 1500C even looks quite nice.

I had an SME 20/3 for a few years, and over time used it less and less. It was a bit of a PITA if I'm honest.

Then I sold it and bought a P6, to which I've just fitted an Ania Pro. Can honestly say that I have never enjoyed vinyl so much. Added to which, the deck is very easy to own, use, move when necessary and adjust.

If you do decide to buy one, I'd strongly suggest taking Rega up on their discounted Ania or Ania Pro deal.

The other option would be to simply have your Xerxes serviced and perhaps get an RB880 or similar new arm fitted; that seems the most cost effective thing to do. The modern Rega arms are a long way from the slightly grey sound of the original RB300.

I had an SME 20/3 for a few years, and over time used it less and less. It was a bit of a PITA if I'm honest. Then I sold it and bought a P6, to which I've just fitted an Ania Pro.

I think expectation has a lot to do with it. With the SME being so expensive you kinda feel it has to sound exceptional to justify itself and at the end of the day, it's a record player and there are limits.

What cartridge did you have on the P6 before the Ania Pro? The Pro is quite high on my list of carts to replace the Exact.

I think expectation has a lot to do with it. With the SME being so expensive you kinda feel it has to sound exceptional to justify itself and at the end of the day, it's a record player and there are limits.

What cartridge did you have on the P6 before the Ania Pro? The Pro is quite high on my list of carts to replace the Exact.

Yes, you have a point about the SME. At the top end of things, you're always finding fault. Conversely when something's budget or mid-fi you're always happy when it surprises you...

I was using a Benz Ace SL (with a shim). While it had a certain sweetness to it, which suited the Rega well, I suspect it was pretty tired, and/or not a perfect match for my RSL stage. Possible also that it was very VTA sensitive.

I've used lots of carts with Rega 3s, and then for about a decade with a P9. I have very fond memories of the Exact, but also of the DV 17D2/3.

The new Rega carts are a doddle to fit; and not only to Rega arms. The cartridge pins are more spaced than most I have experience of, and the little projection above the stylus is an accurate guide as to where the tip is.

I've seen some comments that the Ania Pro is a bit bright, but I like that sense of insight, and it tracks like a beast.

advertisement

Back