advertisement

Tom Verlaine RIP

Yes I just thought that Tony.

Mine is a UK original with ‘butterfly’ Elektra label and A1/B2 matrixes, first entry on Discogs, though maybe not the very first variation as it doesn’t have inverted commas around “Marquee Moon” on the front cover which may have been the very first issue. It has the 9:58 edit. My guess is the 10:39 full version didn’t appear until the CD. The vinyl is remarkably good sounding, just so punchy and alive with real bite.

I'm bloody jealous Tony....Been so obsessive about this record for years to be frank having not been there from the start.....Early 81 I would say my first baptism:)
A desert island disc for me.

I'm bloody jealous Tony....Been so obsessive about this record for years to be frank having not been there from the start.....Early 81 I would say my first baptism:)

Bizarre story actually, I had a copy, inexplicably lost it somewhere along the way, then got given this one by a pfm member who was downsizing/dumping their record collection. The rest of my Television (green vinyl Prove it 12”, Marquee Moon 12”, red Foxhole 12” and red Adventure LP) are all mine from back when I was a teenager. I bought Prove It as it was the first colour vinyl record I’d ever seen and was hooked from that point onwards. I’d have been 14 or 15.

Bizarre story actually, I had a copy, inexplicably lost it somewhere along the way, then got given this one by a pfm member who was downsizing/dumping their record collection. The rest of my Television (green vinyl Prove it 12”, Marquee Moon 12”, red Foxhole 12” and red Adventure LP) are all mine from back when I was a teenager. I bought Prove It as it was the first colour vinyl record I’d ever seen and was hooked from that point onwards. I’d have been 14 or 15.
Heh, funnily enough I've had similar episodes throughout my life collecting music.
I had a burglary back in 1999 and lost a lot of stuff, but then again it was just that, 'stuff'.
The mental affect is still with me but I am lucky:)

Mine is a UK original with ‘butterfly’ Elektra label and A1/B2 matrixes, first entry on Discogs, though maybe not the very first variation as it doesn’t have inverted commas around “Marquee Moon” on the front cover which may have been the very first issue. It has the 9:58 edit. My guess is the 10:39 full version didn’t appear until the CD. The vinyl is remarkably good sounding, just so punchy and alive with real bite.

I'm more a music fan than record collector ( not to suggest that the two are mutually exclusive, of course) but was quite chuffed to read about the quotation marks edition here a year or so back and surprised to find I had that version.

There was a copy of the red Adventure in a newsagents at the bottom of our road back in the days when i) there were newsagents and ii) they had rotary displays of records. Even then I wasn't a fan of coloured vinyl and I spent a few weeks looking for a black copy and eventually found one. I think the black looks better - I recall a bit of red over kill with a red record in a red sleeve - but wish I'd bought the red one. My black version has a A1/B1 matrix - given the ubiquity of the red edition when it was released I wonder if the black is actually less common?

As you say, both great records that still sound fantastic and that's, in my case, despite having been played regularly on a range of budget / student hi hi systems for the first part of the 40+ years I had them.

52656495501_83c6698c04_b.jpg

Here’s a pic of my stash. The Prove It 12” looking disappointingly black on the turntable as it is translucent green so the 124’s mat shows through!

Prove It may well be the record I’ve owned the longest, i.e. I’m still on my original copy and have never swapped it out, upgraded or whatever. I’ve definitely had it since new.

There was a copy of the red Adventure in a newsagents at the bottom of our road back in the days when i) there were newsagents and ii) they had rotary displays of records. Even then I wasn't a fan of coloured vinyl and I spent a few weeks looking for a black copy and eventually found one. I think the black looks better - I recall a bit of red over kill with a red record in a red sleeve - but wish I'd bought the red one. My black version has a A1/B1 matrix - given the ubiquity of the red edition when it was released I wonder if the black is actually less common?

You may well be right. I was just a kid/teen and I loved the look/novelty of coloured vinyl so bought quite a few. It really did look as fresh and new as the music of that time sounded. I’ve never had a black copy of Adventure pass through. The red is A1/B1 and I’ve no idea how many they pressed. I think it was a bit of a flop after Marquee Moon, though you don’t see originals of either in the wild these days. My red copy sounds good, but is a bit crackly especially on side two for some reason despite looking genuinely mint and having been wet-cleaned. Coloured vinyl of that period did have some issues though. That seems to have been fixed today though, even the most bonkers splatter seems to sound ok now.

Anyone know if there is a longer edit of the Marquee Moon title track anywhere? The amazing 9:58 album version (identical on the 12” single) has a fade-out as it goes into another verse. It doesn’t come to an actual stop.

Edit:just answered my own question, the CD version is 10:39 and doesn’t fade!
Not sure if this is a controversial opinion but I prefer the version with the fade out. It creates the impression that the song has no end.

My copy is this one:
https://www.discogs.com/release/451565-Television-Marquee-Moon

Not bad for a quid when the local library flogged it's vinyl. The cover has a vouple of library stickers but the vinyl is VG and still has the inner bag too.

Surprised to see I also have "Adventure". I don't remember buying it, but there you go.
https://www.discogs.com/release/8395976-Television-Adventure

I bet that is a nice copy! First press from country of artist origin is the usual golden rule, which is what that is. It would be interesting to contrast and compare with the UK.
Yeah I’m pretty sure I had an earlyish UK originally. Must have upgraded at some point.

Listened to it this afternoon, is it my imagination or is the 2nd half of the album better in terms of SQ than the first?

My vinyl copy is a 4 men with beards reissue which is apparently terrible; the CD version I have is better.

All sounds very consistent to my ears. Just a great album from start to end from every perspective.

PS Thinking about the issues of a perfect debut record Patti Smith did just the same. How the hell do you beat a Marquee Moon or Horses? Knock the ball that far out of the park with the first hit and it is impossible to catch it, even with a wonderful full career like Patti’s. The only example I can think of is Joy Division who arguably equalled a spectacular debut with a very different second album. I still prefer Unknown Pleasures though!

How the hell do you beat a Marquee Moon or Horses? Knock the ball that far out of the park with the first hit and it is impossible to catch it, even with a wonderful full career like Patti’s. The only example I can think of is Joy Division who arguably equalled a spectacular debut with a very different second album. I still prefer Unknown Pleasures though!

In_the_Court_of_the_Crimson_King_-_40th_Anniversary_Box_Set_-_Front_cover.jpeg
;)

Listened to it this afternoon, is it my imagination or is the 2nd half of the album better in terms of SQ than the first?

My vinyl copy is a 4 men with beards reissue which is apparently terrible; the CD version I have is better.
My 4 men with beards version is easily the best in my opinion

advertisement

Back