advertisement

Tom Petty

Gaius

pfm Member
Well he's been on the top of my play pile this week and so very good. He also knows how to record a Rock'n'Roll album; he leads me back to Dylan and my fav Lp of his, Free wheelein', I could listen to that everyday...

we beg to differ:D
PS I'm listening to something modern at this very moment that makes AK and RP sound like school kids on their recorders.

To disregard Tom Petty and Robert Plant is quite something, I'm glad you held yoursef back on Dylan.

Sure it's only a matter of taste and we all differ which is fine.

What is this 'modern' marvel you have found?

Big Tom Petty fan here as well.

He may have been derivative of Dylan, Byrds, etc. but he definitely brought those sounds into a modern era.

As for Robert Plant, whether to your taste or not I'd be surprised if there is anyone modern who will leave such a lasting legacy.

cheers

Chris

Tom Petty's first three LPs are easily his best IMHO. Those 3 and the Official Bootleg, a one-sidedLP recorded around the time of the 1st LP. Fabulous stuff...

Tom knows what he's doing but you need to listen to it on a big dirty system to get the groove.

Mojo and that recent live box of his are mighty nice! Big fan as well, got all his LP's, I think.

'Wildflowers' is one of my fav lps ever. I have most of TPs output.

A hi fi demo stalwart.

Rick Rubin is quoted as saying that he never listens to his own produced music with one exception, TPs Wildflowers, and when he is buying new hi fi.

I am also partial to TP, after listening to his albums on US road trips, like 'Into The Great Wide Open' is it.

Travelling Wilburys, no thank you.

DS

Another one: Bob Dylan with the Heartbreakers (I know the cd shown in the video says it was 1989, but it was '86-'87.) I've worn out my cassette bootleg of this. My lord, the Heartbreakers are a helluva band.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another one: Bob Dylan with the Heartbreakers (I know the cd shown in the video says it was 1989, but it was '86-'87.) I've worn out my cassette bootleg of this. My lord, the Heartbreakers are a helluva band.

Yes they are indeed a hell of a band, I saw the footage of the Dylan gigs, I must track this copy down.

And I, won't, back down.... Hey baby....!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wildflowers is a brilliant album, there's only one duff track on it. Free Fallin' is less good but it's got some great tracks on it. There's a Best Of that I play a lot too.

My problem with Petty's storytelling songs is that I don't care about, or even like, any of the characters he creates. The band is good though.

advertisement

Back