advertisement

Today I have mainly been v1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exhausted now. Did the usual Sunday morning poo-pick at RDA but nobody did it yesterday so there was: at least twice as much; waterlogged from the rain so at least twice as heavy; and, a fair bit trodden in by the horses so twice as hard to scoop up.
And I volunteer for this shit (see what I did there).

The Wife is making Fish pie, and I am watching the build up to the F1 race.

We used to watch F1 religiously for years, but stopped ? maybe 8 years ago as it was boring.
(motorcycle racing - we still watch regularly)

The last F1 we went to must have been about 2005. Michael Schumacher was racing.
Very hot day, and the soundtrack was amazing.

Hope this is a hard but clean race.

I note the pundits are still rocking very tight jeans, soo behind the times :)

Sunday lunch at the local with Mrs Seeker shortly and then, as I am becoming more like my dad every day, most likely a snooze this afternoon.

relaxing, watching the WSL Brighton v MancU. Pondering cleaning some squid for the Arroz Negro later.

Yes it always made me laugh when my mate, who lives in Siracuse NY, put the snowplough on his F-150 in November, even though it was still fine outside. Is the snow still as predictable?
We lived in Syracuse 1999-2001, arriving in October. In November a bloke knocked on the door with an offer. He could include us in his early morning round and plough our driveway with his pickup + snowplough combo whenever it snowed: fixed price, $150 upfront. I accepted: even without knowing much about local snow patterns, that US-style driveway did look awfully wide. The first winter, we had 200 inches of snow. Best $150 I ever spent.

Subsequently, I found out that Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse have an informal snow derby every year. Buffalo usually starts out strong with large dumps of snow, but Syracuse usually wins in the end because lake Ontario is deeper than lake Erie and does not freeze over as quickly, so Syracuse still gets "lake effect" snow showers late into the winter season. It's not the massive 10" snow dumps that win the derby, but the 1 to 2" light sprinkling every day or two.

3 more working days, then 19 off. It’s been a tough term. Lots of emergency cover and other stuff to sort.

This :
'F1 hasn’t dragged us back given the last race.'

I stopped watching even the highlights of F1 a couple of years ago after following it for decades. I now prefer BTCC on a Sunday afternoon on ITV4.

Today I have mostly been fixing a leaky tap in my friend's garage, which involved replacing some dodgy pipework and fitting a new tap washer.

I've a vested interest in this as it's where we hose down our dogs and each other after particularly muddy walks in the woods.

Impressed with my efforts, obvs, she asked if I wouldn't mind checking her upstairs shower tomorrow as the control valve is leaking.

Today I have mostly been fixing a leaky tap in my friend's garage, which involved replacing some dodgy pipework and fitting a new tap washer.

I've a vested interest in this as it's where we hose down our dogs and each other after particularly muddy walks in the woods.

Impressed with my efforts, obvs, she asked if I wouldn't mind checking her upstairs shower tomorrow as the control valve is leaking.

Maybe I have a dirty mind….

We lived in Syracuse 1999-2001, arriving in October. In November a bloke knocked on the door with an offer. He could include us in his early morning round and plough our driveway with his pickup + snowplough combo whenever it snowed: fixed price, $150 upfront. I accepted: even without knowing much about local snow patterns, that US-style driveway did look awfully wide. The first winter, we had 200 inches of snow. Best $150 I ever spent.

Subsequently, I found out that Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse have an informal snow derby every year. Buffalo usually starts out strong with large dumps of snow, but Syracuse usually wins in the end because lake Ontario is deeper than lake Erie and does not freeze over as quickly, so Syracuse still gets "lake effect" snow showers late into the winter season. It's not the massive 10" snow dumps that win the derby, but the 1 to 2" light sprinkling every day or two.
Boy that brings back memories! We have family in Buffalo but the last time we were there was for a wedding 30 years ago!

Even further back this brought back memories of when I worked for a short time in Herkimer during Jan/Feb. I had to drive from Syracuse airport (first time in US) in an automatic (first time again). On arriving at the hotel that was completely deserted the car park was snow on packed ice so I drove slooowly and carefully and applied the brakes early and.... the car didn't stop! It slid slower and slower and stopped about an inch from the wall of one of the rooms. Turned out that was to be my room! I wondered if I had arrived at the correct place as it was in darkness and the lobby was locked.

The factory where I worked was miles into the countryside down an isolated long lane. The instructions the locals gave didn't match the distance " down the road to the circle , turn left and go straight over the next circle and the factory is just down the street on the left". The people working there would go and start their car engines every few hours or so to stop them freezing up!

Memories,

DV

Reactions: PsB

Careful! You will be fitting a complete new bathroom soon...

Putting up the Christmas tree. For the first time ever the lights worked without faffing about replacing bulbs. Usually it’s a last-minute dash to Wilko’s to buy some replacements, but I bought this lot at Sainsbury’s the year before last in their post-Christmas sale and (fingers crossed) they seem to be more reliable. We didn’t use them last year because we only had a tiny little tree which had its own built-in lights.

Boy that brings back memories! We have family in Buffalo but the last time we were there was for a wedding 30 years ago!

Even further back this brought back memories of when I worked for a short time in Herkimer during Jan/Feb. I had to drive from Syracuse airport (first time in US) in an automatic (first time again). On arriving at the hotel that was completely deserted the car park was snow on packed ice so I drove slooowly and carefully and applied the brakes early and.... the car didn't stop! It slid slower and slower and stopped about an inch from the wall of one of the rooms. Turned out that was to be my room! I wondered if I had arrived at the correct place as it was in darkness and the lobby was locked.

The factory where I worked was miles into the countryside down an isolated long lane. The instructions the locals gave didn't match the distance " down the road to the circle , turn left and go straight over the next circle and the factory is just down the street on the left". The people working there would go and start their car engines every few hours or so to stop them freezing up!

Memories,

DV
Haha, seems they treated you to the real Upstate experience. I confess I had to look up where Herkimer is, although we must've driven past quite often en route to Albany etc. IIRC the area that gets the most snow in the area is the plateau north of Lake Oneida, between Utica and Watertown (Lewis county), where things apparently get very hairy in winter: we avoided it carefully, not being into Skidoos and stuff.

Putting up the Christmas tree. For the first time ever the lights worked without faffing about replacing bulbs. Usually it’s a last-minute dash to Wilko’s to buy some replacements, but I bought this lot at Sainsbury’s the year before last in their post-Christmas sale and (fingers crossed) they seem to be more reliable. We didn’t use them last year because we only had a tiny little tree which had its own built-in lights.
I've had LED Christmas tree lights for the last few years. Totally reliable, and the LEDs never need replacing, which is just as well as they are hardwired. My only gripe is finding the "off" position on the little programmer thingamajig which controls the frantic migraine inducing flashing cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back