advertisement

Toaster / Convection mini-ovens

Our last Panasonic multi combo microwave thingy lasted about 15 years. New one is about 5 years old and doing brilliantly. Mostly for baked potatoes it has to be said. But as our main ovens are all gas they are not good for all cooking. So we use the combi on oven mode to cook large meringues for Pavlova. It is pretty big - so you can decent size plate in there.

One of those and a plug in 13A induction hob and you would be well sorted for single person.
Or...
Eldest Daughter has a multi function 'one-pot' cooker which does pressure, slow and steam cooking. Utterly brilliant. Also does rice too. Less expensive and smaller than the microwave combi ovens too.

BER? Was that a Panasonic?

One hoping mine will last a bit longer than 3years but you never know when heat comes into play alongside complex electronics.

I read someplace that Panny combi ovens were prone to fragile door mechs.

Any shared recent news?

Ikeas plug in induction hob is a fantastic piece of kit.

Have to agree with that one, they even work after you've dropped a beer bottle across the top and cracked the glass, duct tape has been holding it together nicely for the past two years and it still works perfectly fine, might have to renew the duct tape though :)

51959431832_2d7c242187_4k.jpg

I read someplace that Panny combi ovens were prone to fragile door mechs.

Any shared recent news?

Mine seems fine but still young I guess. Seems an odd thing to fail.....mine is a drop down door like a standard oven, cheaper ones have them that open to the left. Do you know which ones are being pointed to for failure?

^^ Sorry but it is yours that fail, the hinges actually!

Never knock the door sideways when open!!

^^ Sorry but it is yours that fail, the hinges actually!

Never knock the door sideways when open!!

Ah user induced failure! I don't plan on doing this and it would take quite a hard knock looking at the hinges.......not as much as a normal oven granted but would have to be quite a whack.

Maybe a few ham fisted users?

Have to agree with that one, they even work after you've dropped a beer bottle across the top and cracked the glass, duct tape has been holding it together nicely for the past two years and it still works perfectly fine, might have to renew the duct tape though :)

51959431832_2d7c242187_4k.jpg
Nice. Is the hob built into the benchtop?

I'm usually cooking for one these days and putting on the main oven seems really wasteful for the quantities involved. I'm considering buying a Toaster / Convection mini-oven. Does anyone have any experience of these appliances? Is it worth paying the extra to get the fan driven convection function?
in a similar situation I have found a Cosori air fryer to be the best Ninety quid I have spent this year. Air fryers are actually small convection ovens - very flexible, quick and easy to keep clean.

Another air fryer convert here - obviously great for air frying stuff like chicken wings/thighs, chips, sausages etc but I have found it amazing for roasting joints of beef, lamb and whole chickens using the roast function. My sister, who had one for about a year before me, also says the 'broil' function is great for joints. Also so easy to keep clean.
This is the one I have from Costco - incredible for less than £50!!!

https://www.costco.co.uk/Appliances/Small-Kitchen-Appliances/Gourmia-57L-Digital-Air-Fryer/p/9254

Re roasting a small chicken or doing proper, crispy baked potatoes, don’t discount an ‘air fryer-lite’, i.e. the old halogen cooker from 10-20 years ago. Like many kitchen gadgets it presents significant storage challenges but they can be had very cheaply and barely used on eBay. Just set up a search for ‘nearest first’ to avoid P&P costs.
I realise this doesn’t cover the microwave function but I’ve never owned one so have no experience.

I have the Cosori Air Fryer Toaster Oven CO130-AO. Got it for less than $200 and have been using it to cook all kinds of meat, fish, even pizza and fries were great. The capacity fits a meal for 3-4 people in my family just right.

We have a 26L Tefal oven/grill combo. Originally purchased during a kitchen refit and used sporadically ever since, about 15 years old now.
We also have a no name mini version which has been great so far, 5 years.

We splashed out on a Ninja 11 in 1 foodi a while back when Martin Lewis’s site blagged £100 off.
We never use the kitchen oven now.
its a remarkable bit of kit.
the only criticism is it has a large footprint.

Last edited:
Our Panasonic flatbed combi is 10 years old this month and has been in regular use. I still use the small oven in our Britannia range a lot as it can actually roast - it has a spit.

DV

advertisement

Back