advertisement

Toaster / Convection mini-ovens

thedanfan

pfm Member
I'm usually cooking for one these days and putting on the main oven seems really wasteful for the quantities involved. I'm considering buying a Toaster / Convection mini-oven. Does anyone have any experience of these appliances? Is it worth paying the extra to get the fan driven convection function?

I have the sage oven pro, bought it 5 years ago when my kitchen was done out and didn't need a large cooker/oven as its only myself in the house. Brilliant bit of kit that has worked faultlessly and is used everyday.

I'm usually cooking for one these days and putting on the main oven seems really wasteful for the quantities involved. I'm considering buying a Toaster / Convection mini-oven. Does anyone have any experience of these appliances? Is it worth paying the extra to get the fan driven convection function?

What do you want to cook in it?

Whole chicken or thighs - Pizza - Pies - Chops - Pork Belly - Chips & Roasties.
Daughter has an air fryer which she uses loads but it would be too small for most of the above.

Ah OK. I was going to recommend a £20 toaster... o_O

My wife uses a Remoska (from Lakeland) for a lot of our cooking now - she originally got it to use in the motorhome but liked it enough that she got one of the house as well.

Whole chicken or thighs - Pizza - Pies - Chops - Pork Belly - Chips & Roasties.
Daughter has an air fryer which she uses loads but it would be too small for most of the above.
What's your budget? I have an Anova steam oven and it is one of the best things I've had in the kitchen in a long time. About the size of a large microwave. Can do anything form Sous Vide to fabulous sourdough. Chicken with no requirment for covering (steam keeps if from drying) and cooks very quickly. They are around £550 but I have pretty much stopped using the conventional oven that we have since getting it so for me used a lot so worth it.

My wife uses a Remoska (from Lakeland) for a lot of our cooking now - she originally got it to use in the motorhome but liked it enough that she got one of the house as well.

Likewise. We got the small Remoska for the old motorhome but eventually moved that to the house and got a big one for the motorhome. That works for us , since the new (continental) MH has a rubbish oven, while a UK motorhomes generally have better ovens.

Our home oven is pants and broken and we use instead one of the big Panasonic multi oven-grill things at home. Hence the small Remoska is more useful in the house. We will get a new kitchen next year.

Of course Calour gas refills are no longer around in this country now, so any electric solution in a caravan or motorhome is a big plus.

I have a nice benchtop oven/grill. Fantastic thing. Heaps of settings, heats to set temperature in a trice. Perfect for my tiny kitchen and a single me.

With this and a microwave I have almost no use for my stove, which has become something of a bench extension. It'll be hoofed when I get around to the kitchen reno and replaced with a couple of inset hot plates.

https://www.breville.com/nz/en/products/ovens/bov850.html
Prolly not available in the UK, though.

I have a nice benchtop oven/grill.

Thats branded as SAGE in the uk, I have one as mentioned above and its brilliant.

Have to admit to being a sage fanboy, got their espresso machine, coffee bean grinder, rice cooker/steamer/slow cooker, toaster, kettle, food processor

I have an air fryer, quite a bit one and big enough for a whole chicken. It's great. It's as you suggest, a small oven that has a timer and consumes very little power. Last weekend I put a packet of sausages in there with a few onion wedges and set it going. A shake after 15 minutes or so, back in, dead easy. Cook some veg, an easy dinner.
Oh, and it's dirt cheap. About £40.

I have a nice benchtop oven/grill. Fantastic thing. Heaps of settings, heats to set temperature in a trice. Perfect for my tiny kitchen and a single me.

With this and a microwave I have almost no use for my stove, which has become something of a bench extension. It'll be hoofed when I get around to the kitchen reno and replaced with a couple of inset hot plates.

https://www.breville.com/nz/en/products/ovens/bov850.html
Prolly not available in the UK, though.
I have a Breville toaster oven in the US. Brilliant things.

advertisement

Back