advertisement

Tiny panic over Quad II Forty.

George J

Herefordshire member
On Saturday I turned on the Q II Forty and Troughline, but absolute silence emerged. Of course I examined the radio and the amp, and tested the radio into a portable speaker. Radio was fine. I noted that the heater in the rectifier valve was not glowing, so I assumed rectifier valve heater failure as the output KT88s were glowing.

Resulting quick panic! Then I calmed down, took off the valve safety cover and rocked the rectifier. The heater sprung back to life and all is well.

It is over two years since anything was done at Huntingdon, so I suppose it is a time for the amp to go home for a check-up in any case. That can happen after the Proms Season ends in September.

Best wishes from George

The valve base was changed last time it was serviced, and no doubt that this can be a point of weakness. At least there was no further problem once I wiggled the valve. It will have to go in for a check over now though. Better safe than sorry.

Bit like the oil light coming on in a car. Even if nothing happens again, peace of mind itself is worth a lot.

Best wishes from George

Take all valves out, clean pins with deoxit, clean value sockets too if looking tarnished. IMHO you run more of a risk installing/uninstalling/shipping the amp(s? mono IIRC) around.

Dear CK,

I never ship this amp [singular - I am mono here] but take it personally and collect. Yes that is a bit of a b--l ache, but I would never trust such a heavy and yet fragile piece to the tender cares of a courier service. Solid state possibly, but not valve stuff.

I had all the valves out and it all looks as bright as a new pin behind the valves. Essentially this quite old amp is very nearly mint, and bright as button internally.

Also it makes a lovely match for my single ESL. I am guessing that better amplification may exist for the speaker, but probably at rather more cost, and not necessarily bound to be more reliable. Also, Quad are really nice to work with on servicing. Really nice company in Huntingdon.

Best wishes from George

advertisement

Back