advertisement

Thorens TD-124 bearing gasket

anderson4209

pfm Member
Hi, i have a oil leak at the bottom of the main bearing, does anyone know where i can obtain a new gasket, many thanks, peter.

Personally I would just diy cut from 0.4mm gasket paper with a craft knife or scalpel. Audiosilente sell them as part of kits with thrust washers on eBay. If you are still using an original pressed steel bottom plate it may well of become distorted and I would recommend changing to one of the machined, thick plates that are available from various sources.

About 30 years ago I had a 124 Mk1 and the bearing dripped. So since I was messing around with an old motorbike at the time, I thought of trying some sealing compound I was using to seal a gearbox, I think it was red coloured and made by Arexons ("Motorseal", maybe?). I remember I de-greased the mating surfaces and smeared it on around the joint. I think it worked.

Alternately a light smear of motor grease over the gasket will seal it for a good while. I remember being told that back in the '70s when I bought my first deck, a second hand Lenco L75 and it has worked fine with the 124 and 301 too. It tends to hold up for over a year, at which point a strip down and relube is likely due anyway.

If you can get hold of some Wellseal jointing compound, a light smear of this and it won't leak again. It doesn't set solid like some, it just tacks off slightly so the joint is easily opened again if required. I've also used it to hold a naked 103 into an aluminium housing where I'm convinced it has good damping properties but that's another story.

The Arexons stuff I used was designed for sealing things like the cam covers on engines and the mating surfaces of gearboxes. It set like rubber, not quite solid but remaining slightly flexible. Probably silicone-based. Probably same type of stuff as Wellseal.

Wellseal isn't like silicone sealer Paul and it doesn't set like it either. It looks and feels like thick brown linseed oil until it tacks off and it's the only gasket sealer I use in the workshop unless something else is specifically required. It doesn't clog oilways and any surplus is easily removed with a rag and some thinners. It's damned good stuff.

Ah, Chops, I see. And I think I have an idea that I used it many, many years ago, even if under a different name. The stuff I used came in a tin with a small brush attached to the cap. It was like a thick varnish, and was usually used in conjunction with paper gaskets. I don't think it is used much, any more, displaced by the silicone based sealants that appeared in the '70s and that often did not require the paper gasket. But I may be wrong. It would certainly be a "period" solution for a TD124!
I remember using it on the mating surfaces of gearboxes, with some success although a few drops seeped through afterwards, and trying to make the primary drive of an AJS twin oil-tight, where I failed miserably.
What do you use it on in your workshop?

I use it mainly on my cars primarily as a gasket sealer but I also use it like lock thread where I don't want such a tenacious bond. In the early days when I had the garage and repaired cars for a living I started using Wellseal for troublesome head gaskets like the Rover K series and the Peugeot 1.9 diesel. There was a bit more to it with the K series but after that I had no more issues with either engine or any other engine for that matter.
I used to use Araldite to fix an undressed Denon DL103 into its aluminium housing but after I trashed one and I found I couldn't remove it that easily I tried Wellseal on the next one. I left it upside down for a couple of days so the stuff went solid enough not to run and it's works fine. I've done a few of these and I'm convinced that because it doesn't set hard like Araldite it adds some damping to the housing. I haven't tried to remove one yet but I'm sure it'll come out of the housing easily enough. I've also used it to seal the cap on the bottom of the Lenco GL75 bearing. I don't think the bearing was ever meant to be filled right up with oil and consequently it leaks if you do. A good smear of Wellseal around the inner sides of the cap and lower part of the housing will stop it from leaking. I avoid putting it right in the bottom of the cap and gumming up the circlip. I use it on the securing screw too.

Thanks, I'll pick some up if I see it in a shop either in Italy or Israel. Sounds like good stuff to have around.

advertisement

Back