advertisement

Thinking of getting a Naim Muso?

Sorry if I didn't make it clear in my post regarding Naim Muso
my system is used mainly for TV now with either Apple TV or Intel nuc and would like to make it easier to listen to surround sound.
So if I want to watch and listen to Dolby digital via Netflix I have to go through my Yamaha RX 840 which is connected to the Naim 202 in just 5.1 set up.
So I can still use my Naim 2 channel to listen to music on its own. So I realize I have got it wrong regarding Muso as I already have My Antipodes network player for that purpose.
So basically I have 2 systems in 1 at the moment surround sound and 2 channel.
Perhaps I should just go for a soundbar for Netflix etc

Ok, so if I’m understanding correctly, you have your 202 connected to the Yammy using the pre-out so you can switch between using the Naim gear for 2 channel listening & the Yammy for surround sound movie duties.
If you’re thinking of downsizing the equipment.................
Any soundbar will not sound as good as a regular AV 5.1 set up.
Even the Sennheiser Ambeo at £2k won’t out-perform an average 5.1 system. And that thing is blooming massive.
Soundbars are all about convenience, less boxes, less wires etc. They can do a decent job, certainly an upgrade from the speakers built into a tv, but not as good as a 5.1 system.
So it comes down to your expectations & how much quality you are prepared to downgrade to go from your yammy 5.1 system to a soundbar.
The new Sonos Arc bar, with a couple of Sonos ones as rear speakers & a Sonos sub may well be a half way house between your existing AV system & “just” a soundbar. You could add a Sonos Port to your Naim system to access the streaming facilities to partially integrate the 2 systems together. This could be done in stages ie start with just the Arc bar & add the surrounds & sub at a later date when funds permit.

Just out of interest, how does a Mu-So compare sonically to a separates system of the same sort of price?

No idea.
Haven’t listened to a new separates system at around £1K for decades.
S/H would wipe the floor with it.

Just out of interest, how does a Mu-So compare sonically to a separates system of the same sort of price?
The main difference would be that with a separates system, you could space the speakers apart so you get a stereo spread, which a one box system could only digitally simulate. “Proper” speakers, larger drivers etc should also perform better tonally.
The Muso is £1200, so a streamer/DAC, amp, speakers, cables & interconnects & maybe speaker stands to that value. For example, a Bluesound Powernode with some £400ish speakers would be an interesting comparison.
But the Muso really isn’t there to compete with a separates system..... it’s an alternative way of doing things.......a lifestyle/convenience product for people who want decent music but without multiple boxes & cables.

The question I asked myself after ten minutes listening to it in my home was "do I keep a system that cost nineteen times more, had numerous points of failure with all the boxes and wires and took up half as much space as Nevada or is this amazing little box good enough?"

My answer was it's far more than "good enough."

YMMV however...

All the Muso range is made in China, I believe.
The more usual Naim gear is made in Salisbury.
Will that change? Never say never, I guess, but a core product & their customers would likely expect their higher end products to be made in the U.K.
Even if the Chinese factories are of the highest quality, there is a perception with high end gear that has to be considered.

advertisement

Back