advertisement

Things turning my head…

mattjevans

So I’ll be spending a bit of money this year for the first time in a while and I’m finding the options fairly overwhelming. I’m a fan of buying used, both for the savings and for the environmental aspects.

I was fairly hard core into audio with a limited budget in my 20’s, but I still managed to get hold of Audio Alchemy (who remembers the DAC In A Box?), Quad’s that lasted just one glorious day, and a few other high points. Prior to this year, because of other priorities I

I’m halfway into upgrading the HT to Atmos with Meridian DSP3200’s all around at the bed layer, was think just two heights above the seats and two Arendal subs for 5.2.2.

I actually bought too many pairs of Meridians so took one pair to work. Pretty good near field monitors.

Tell me what not to buy from the below, at least. Or some alternatives.

Things that are peaking my interest include:
- Martin Logan Electromotion ESL’s. Have wanted to set of ML’s for more than 20 years. Would be hard to find a great spot, apart from I could put them in the HT as front left and right and put that pair of Meridian’s elsewhere (either home office or dining room). Maybe Audiolab Monoblocks to drive them.
- PMC Twenty5.21i. Previously unknown to me but seem to be regarded as very good on the transparency front which is the sound I like. Active upgrade now available which seems like an attractive option.
- Shahinian Compass
- Magnepan LRS. Obviously wouldn’t have these and the ML’s.
- Devore Micro - realistically would take up half of the available spend.
Veering off into sources:
- DCS Debussy, fully updated
- DCS Puccini clock.
I’ll be honest, what concerns me about DCS is that they seem awfully popular with the crowd who like $10,000 cables. I’m more of a DesignACable person. At used DCS prices it matters less, but still not what I’d call cheap.
- Audiolab M-DAC+ as an alternative (would allow balanced output to the PMC actives if I went that route) - or is even this madness and the ubiquitous.

Digital outputs will be Sonos Ports fwiw, except in the home office where it’ll be USB off the Mac. At work I use a WiiM Pro with SPDIF straight into the Meridians.

And why just 2 options for dacs? Dcs with a clock and Audiolab are hardly an alternative. The same thought for Martin Logan electrostatics vs PMC or micro Devore, seem like a different directions system-wise.

So I’ll be spending a bit of money this year for the first time in a while and I’m finding the options fairly overwhelming. I’m a fan of buying used, both for the savings and for the environmental aspects.

I was fairly hard core into audio with a limited budget in my 20’s, but I still managed to get hold of Audio Alchemy (who remembers the DAC In A Box?), Quad’s that lasted just one glorious day, and a few other high points. Prior to this year, because of other priorities I

I’m halfway into upgrading the HT to Atmos with Meridian DSP3200’s all around at the bed layer, was think just two heights above the seats and two Arendal subs for 5.2.2.

I actually bought too many pairs of Meridians so took one pair to work. Pretty good near field monitors.

- Martin Logan Electromotion ESL’s. Have wanted to set of ML’s for more than 20 years. Would be hard to find a great spot, apart from I could put them in the HT as front left and right and put that pair of Meridian’s elsewhere (either home office or dining room). Maybe Audiolab Monoblocks to drive them.
- PMC Twenty5.21i. Previously unknown to me but seem to be regarded as very good on the transparency front which is the sound I like. Active upgrade now available which seems like an attractive option.
- Shahinian Compass
Veering off into sources:t
- DCS Puccini clock.
I’ll be honest, what concerns me about DCS is that they seem awfully popular with the crowd who like $10,000 cables. I’m more of a DesignACable person. At used DCS prices it matters less, but still not what I’d call cheap.
- Audiolab M-DAC+ as an alternative (would allow balanced output to the PMC actives if I went that route) - or is even this madness and the ubiquitous.

Digital outputs will be Sonos Ports fwiw, except in the home office where it’ll be USB off the Mac. At work I use a WiiM Pro with SPDIF straight into the Meridians.
Not clear what your HT Processor is - 568 or G series?

I have dCS and use $100 BNC cables and Mogami XLR from designacable - so not all of us are into $10K wires :) The older gen dCS gear is an excellent choice especially if you can get it at a really attractive price.

Big fan of panels, you only live once - go for some MLs with built in subs or Maggie like the LRS/LRS+ and subs (REL or SVS, I’m running a pair of SB3000 at moment - well pleased with them). I had good sounds out of some Bel Canto mono amps into Logans. Sanders Magtech ESL power amp would be a good match - designed to drive panels.

Not clear what your HT Processor is - 568 or G series?

I have dCS and use $100 BNC cables and Mogami XLR from designacable - so not all of us are into $10K wires :) The older gen dCS gear is an excellent choice especially if you can get it at a really attractive price.

Big fan of panels, you only live once - go for some MLs with built in subs or Maggie like the LRS/LRS+ and subs (REL or SVS, I’m running a pair of SB3000 at moment - well pleased with them). I had good sounds out of some Bel Canto mono amps into Logans. Sanders Magtech ESL power amp would be a good match - designed to drive panels.
I have a G61R SL but recently decided to go the Atmos/Dirac route so bought a JBL Synthesis 55 (and did the HDMI upgrade, so it’s really a 58 now). So either a 271 which had been the plan, or maybe two Distributor 1’s.

Thanks for advice for the ML’s, I keep going back to them. I’m not sure those Sanders amps are going to be in the right price bracket. Perhaps a used Krell ?

Also pleased to learn not all dCS owners are cable “enthusiasts” (I was going to say loons but it seemed rude).

And why just 2 options for dacs? Dcs with a clock and Audiolab are hardly an alternative. The same thought for Martin Logan electrostatics vs PMC or micro Devore, seem like a different directions system-wise.
Re DAC’s - because those two are what I’ve seen that appeal I guess. Balanced XLR output is a requirement, certainly open to other ideas !

Entirely fair observation re speakers. Different directions indeed. If I was decided on which direction, the options would be different I guess.

Totem Model 1’s also crossed my mind. As did active ATC’s but I gather they don’t have a particular flat response.

Active ATCs don't have a flat response?
I've never heard anything flatter - nor have I ever heard them being described otherwise.
They have an extended bass response but still flat.

Active ATCs don't have a flat response?
I've never heard anything flatter - nor have I ever heard them being described otherwise.
They have an extended bass response but still flat.
I guess that shows don’t believe what you (in this case, I..) read. Seen “reviews” stating separately a “BBC dip” and a “midrange hump”, clearly incorrect !

I have a G61R SL but recently decided to go the Atmos/Dirac route so bought a JBL Synthesis 55 (and did the HDMI upgrade, so it’s really a 58 now). So either a 271 which had been the plan, or maybe two Distributor 1’s.

Thanks for advice for the ML’s, I keep going back to them. I’m not sure those Sanders amps are going to be in the right price bracket. Perhaps a used Krell ?

Also pleased to learn not all dCS owners are cable “enthusiasts” (I was going to say loons but it seemed rude).
Serious proc the JBL, I looked at them but decided on Lyngdorf, then went off on a swapping spree ending up with an Integra for now.

I think modern Logans are a much nicer/easier load than the early generations, have used all sorts of amps with mine, the only combo I didn't get on with was ESL 11a and Quad QMP Monos. There are lots of opinions about a gap between treble/mid and bass, because the panels and subs don’t seamlessly blend, haven’t found that to be the case with the current models. The top models 11/13/15a have ARC EQ, which works well and led me to swap Lyngdorf with Room Perfect for a Class A Luxman.

A Krell should work great but as always home demo is the only way to really decide without it being a punt, used stuff seems pretty hard to shift these days so best take time and get the choice right. If you’ve not heard Logans I'd try and get a dealer or friendly local pfm member to give you a demo.

Logans are great however agree that it’s very much a system decision, whether you’re ready to accommodate them, to amplify etc.

Serious proc the JBL, I looked at them but decided on Lyngdorf, then went off on a swapping spree ending up with an Integra for now.

I think modern Logans are a much nicer/easier load than the early generations, have used all sorts of amps with mine, the only combo I didn't get on with was ESL 11a and Quad QMP Monos. There are lots of opinions about a gap between treble/mid and bass, because the panels and subs don’t seamlessly blend, haven’t found that to be the case with the current models. The top models 11/13/15a have ARC EQ, which works well and led me to swap Lyngdorf with Room Perfect for a Class A Luxman.

A Krell should work great but as always home demo is the only way to really decide without it being a punt, used stuff seems pretty hard to shift these days so best take time and get the choice right. If you’ve not heard Logans I'd try and get a dealer or friendly local pfm member to give you a demo.
The JBL was a relative bargain at £2.5k w upgraded HDMI. They had a lot of problems at the start but not so with the 58 which is just the same box with the new software, relabelled and the new HDMI board.

Logans are great however agree that it’s very much a system decision, whether you’re ready to accommodate them, to amplify etc.
Indeed accommodating is not the issue, my home theatre room is a good 800 sq feet. My real issue is going to be creating bass in that space.

Amplifying yes that seems potentially full of pitfalls.

The JBL was a relative bargain at £2.5k w upgraded HDMI. They had a lot of problems at the start but not so with the 58 which is just the same box with the new software, relabelled and the new HDMI board.
Good price, the bugs and fact it had a lot of Arcam inside put me off the JBL Pre and AVR version, nice to hear the 58 is bug free. I’ve had many issues with Arcam firmware bugs in the past so gave up on them for good a while ago. To be fair pretty much everything that came out over/just after Covid in the AV arena has been a bit of a bug fest. Even a Yammy A8A flagship had bugs so I swapped to an Integra 8.4 which being released well after Covid and aimed at the installer brigade seems to be bug free and 100% solid in operation. Likely when Lyngdorf release a new AV unit I’ll go back and pair it with their new power amp, might be waiting a while though.

I think (hope…) the only remaining niggles are in the Dante implementation, and i understand those are solved by setting an external device as the master clock.

- Shahinian Compass
Veering off into sources:
- DCS Puccini clock.

I suggest you pick your preferred loudspeaker - then work backwards.

If SHAHINIAN loudspeakers interest you, you MUST hear the ARCs.

The ARCs enjoy a bit of power so this might lead to a low-cost CLASS-D / T / ICE / (Whatever) amp option, which can offer high power at very low $$$.

Don’t be afraid to throw 300W - or more - at the ARCs… just not all at once! 😂

advertisement

Back