advertisement

Things to do on a day out in Manchester

What about the Exchange Theatre? And the gay bars round Rembrandt Street (unless they've all changed) There must be some good things to visit still down Oxford Road, near the University, surely!

Friends of mine once said I should explore the new Tib Street -- I went (I have fond memories of the pet shops) -- but I couldn't see anything special about it now. Shudehill seemed dowdy.

is Salford Keys worth a visit?
There’s a retail outlet which is dying on its feet and during the day you can almost see tumbleweed blowing around but there is the war museum which is interesting.
But if you do go remember you are within walking distance of a top secret Indian restaurant you aren’t allowed to know about…

There’s a retail outlet which is dying on its feet and during the day you can almost see tumbleweed blowing around but there is the war museum which is interesting.

we have one of those walking distance from home.....

gt, what sort of food do you like? Manchester has a pretty good range of cuisines so would be good to find out what you're after.

Museums & Galleries

MOSI is great, but the power hall was closed for ages, not sure if it's open yet.
Imperial War Museum is good (but avoid rest of the Quays area).
Whitworth Art Gallery is usually excellent depending on exhibitions and better (IMO) than the Manchester Art Gallery...nice cafe too.
Jewish Museum is very interesting

My two favourites though are the Police Museum and People's History Museum.

Football Museum might be good if that's your bag... no interest in the sport personally so have never been.

what is there? why would we want to go there?

what about them?

Well, it is (or was) interesting architecturally -- a theatre in the round inside the old Victorian Corn Exchange. It did some good productions -- like 40 years ago (I worked in the bar there) It had a good cafe and bar -- possibly a restaurant too.

The gay area downtown was just slightly more colourful and fun, and there used to be some good Chinese restaurants nearby (George Street was a Chinese quarter) It may have all changed for all I know.

Quays. Not really I’d say, unless there’s something on at the Lowry? Mackie Mayor is good for an informal bite.
Agree. Go the Quays for something specific. Otherwise it’s not worth it.

Mackie Mayor is an okay call. There are loads of similar around cities in the UK now though and they’re all much of a muchness. Indeed I tried out the Chester version with my mother just the other week.

what is there? why would we want to go there?

what about them?
The Royal Exchange is a magical theatre in the round with current management lacking in the imagination to put anything especially good or diverse on. During the day you often won’t be able to get in if there‘s a matinee on and I’d say it’s best to go only if you‘re going for a specific show.

The Village has been taken over by MCC and is a shadow of what it used to be and not really the safe space it used to be either.

Also worth noting that there is definitely nowhere called Rembrandt Street. The Rem is a pub and it’s not a family pub either.

What about the Exchange Theatre? And the gay bars round Rembrandt Street (unless they've all changed) There must be some good things to visit still down Oxford Road, near the University, surely!

Friends of mine once said I should explore the new Tib Street -- I went (I have fond memories of the pet shops) -- but I couldn't see anything special about it now. Shudehill seemed dowdy.
ah yes i enjoyed a lovely walk through the Gay qtr recently ... its still thriving it seems

Theres quite a bit going on there. The Imperial War Museum North is worth a visit.
Very much depends on your view of museums. The bookshop is excellent. The overall museum experience will depend on whether you have children with you; your level of knowledge and the extent to which you like the lights being randomly dimmed to make some very old hat points.

I just learned that Boddingtons is no longer brewed in Manchester! Quelle horreur. I was going to suggest a brewery tour and a visit to Strangeways.

Very much depends on your view of museums. The bookshop is excellent. The overall museum experience will depend on whether you have children with you; your level of knowledge and the extent to which you like the lights being randomly dimmed to make some very old hat points.
Are you outing your secret restaurant nearby yet?

The museum I went to was the Manchester Museum Vivarium a few years ago. They have a great collection of stunning Poison Dart Frogs.

All 'audiophiles' should pay homage to The Bridgewater Hall, designed and built for optimal acoustics. Don't just isolate your HiFi, isolate your entire building!

"One of the most fascinating aspects of the Hall’s construction is that the entire structure floats free of the ground on almost three hundred, earthquake-proof isolation bearings or giant springs, so there is no rigid connection between the 22,500 ton building and its foundations. This ensures the Hall’s carefully designed acoustic is protected from all outside noise and vibration."

advertisement

Back