advertisement

The XX

jcrossley

My first post in the music forum, but I have been listening to XX by The XX and was so aborbed I wondered if anyone else has been blowing up their speakers with it too?!? Awesome.

yep . been listening to it quit a bit and its strangly adictive. simple but clever. Dropped it into the "new spotify " playlist on this forum last week

It's the Rough Trade album of the month. The Fold notes that came with it induced groans: more middle class indie kids with nothing to say. So I was pleasantly surprised by the actual noises within. They seem to have conjured something genuinely diverting. Albeit, to my ears, with a touch of the Young Marble Giants.

It's on vinyl at Diverse. On the strength of four consecutive position posts on pfm (a record? - no pun etc) I've ordered it.

[I was going to say something else - but I'll wait]

The bass player, Oli Sim, is the son of one of my oldest mates.

Hope he makes enough money to look after his old man.

Jack

Just played this for the first time - very pleasant indeed. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with Young Marble Giants - but to me it was like listening to thin slices of Sonic Youth, Joy Division, Lamb (or any one of five similar) melded nicely with something extra added in to each track. One had a guitar sound that was so Chris Issak, must have been a sampled from Heart Shaped World.

Or maybe I have too many references that I can't just like new stuff!

Good though.

I was all ready to not like them, having picked up the murmurings of this being the 'next big thing', something I am overly allergic to.

Then I heard it on Spotify and went and bought the vinyl. It really is very good indeed.

Now, if it really is the next big thing I was there before the masses hehe!

... to me it was like listening to thin slices of Sonic Youth, Joy Division, Lamb (or any one of five similar) melded nicely with something extra added in to each track One had a guitar sound that was so Chris Issak...

You could add Mazzy Star, The Cocteau Twins, and The Cure to that list. Maybe this is why it sounds good from the first play, because it's somehow familiar?

The most obvious homage for me though is the early New Orderish slow synths and Hooky bass line on songs like Heart Skipped a Beat. Sounds good to me.

Re Hot Chip, I read somewhere that they went to the same school, as did Four Tet and Burial (!)

Hmmm, Young Marble Giants, Coucteaus, Cure, Joy Division...some list of name checks.

Are they in the same league as the aforementioned though or just making similar noises?

You could add Mazzy Star, The Cocteau Twins, and The Cure to that list. Maybe this is why it sounds good from the first play, because it's somehow familiar?

The most obvious homage for me though is the early New Orderish slow synths and Hooky bass line on songs like Heart Skipped a Beat. Sounds good to me.

Re Hot Chip, I read somewhere that they went to the same school, as did Four Tet and Burial (!)

THE COCTEAU TWINS was the thing I couldn't quite put my finger on when I was listening. Ta.

I'm a fan. The atmospheric effect is evocative of Faithless in places.

I've just got out a cassette (that's how old it is) of Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth - so will see if I can find the link there. I don't think I've listened to this in 10 years or more.

Bought this today (on CD, the shop had sold out of vinyl) and it's bloody great. Liking it a lot. It's got some serious low-end through my Tannoys too!

Tony.

I love The XX album. The rhythm played by guitar (as WBA) but with a lovely measured pace about the whole album. The deep bass and ambients are very very pleasing...something that I just would not have heard adequately before my Starfish emerged.

This is bizarre- from what i saw on a bbc festival prog they were frankly the worst music ive seen for years! completely amateurish & v weak song (+the name is dire).. like shy 13yr olds whod just got a bedroom band going! cant say Id be inclined listen to an album after that me, but willing to be proved wrong (tho I did try the myspace- sorry but that's really poor).

but i like the barbie world/girl song, so wtf do i know anyway:)

advertisement

Back