advertisement

The Who live at hull

mudlark

nearly half a clue
I've just bought a copy of this. I am very cross.

I stuck it in my player and it told me I was playing "the who live at leeds Disc 3" and the second disk was "The who live at leeds disk 4"

Talk about madness. I've actually bought a -previously marketed set of Cds. They changed the packaging and the print on the disks, but not even bothered to change the disk info. FFS.

Just in case, if you've bought the 40th anniversary four disc, live at leeds from a couple of years ago this is half the set........

It was fairly common knowledge at the time that "Live at Leeds" was mainly recorded at the Hull gig that followed the Leeds one. ( we from Hull certainly knew it )
I guess that at the time "Live at Hull" didn't quite have the ring that "Live at Leeds"had and so it was named accordingly.

It was fairly common knowledge at the time that "Live at Leeds" was mainly recorded at the Hull gig that followed the Leeds one. ( we from Hull certainly knew it )
I guess that at the time "Live at Hull" didn't quite have the ring that "Live at Leeds"had and so it was named accordingly.

I never knew this.

Last year my daughter graduated from Leeds Uni and I got a porter to open up the refectory where the Who played, just to pay homage.

I now know I should have gone up the road to Hull!

Live at Leeds is Live at Leeds. Live at Hull is Live at Hull with some bass parts dubbed on from Live at Leeds. Live at Leeds was originally because the tapes from Hull were faulty.

Allegedly Live at Hull is a better performance. I've not heard it, although I seem to have four editions of Live at Leeds, a Track original, a Polydor stereo reissue, the first extended CD and the later double CD where Tommy is on the second but the first is the same as the earlier. There's a pattern somewhere.

Paul

Hmm that doesn't seem to tally with what Pete Townshend said in an in depth piece in The Wire magazine a few months ago; he was talking about the great acoustics in the Leeds refectory and how they tried to recreate that on record. The Hull recording wasn't used because the tape was shit basically, hence the bass being redone.

mat

I've just bought a copy of this. I am very cross.

I stuck it in my player and it told me I was playing "the who live at leeds Disc 3" and the second disk was "The who live at leeds disk 4"

Talk about madness. I've actually bought a -previously marketed set of Cds. They changed the packaging and the print on the disks, but not even bothered to change the disk info. FFS.

Just in case, if you've bought the 40th anniversary four disc, live at leeds from a couple of years ago this is half the set........

What are you cross about exactly? Are you sure the disc info is on the CD (CD Text); depending on your player could it be coming from an internet database that has no way of distinguishing between two identical pressings?

Tim

Reactions: jgs
The Live At Hull recording was only previously available (officially) on the recentish über deluxe Live At Leads box set; a lavish and expensive thing. If you invested in that then, yes, you have this recording already. But then you will already know that....

I have the original programme from that Hull gig. Which is nice. I found it tucked away in a used copy of Tommy. Which is nicer...

What are you cross about exactly? Are you sure the disc info is on the CD (CD Text); depending on your player could it be coming from an internet database that has no way of distinguishing between two identical pressings?

Tim

I am cross about the matters that I refer to in my post.

I am now cross at your post.

The Live At Hull recording was only previously available (officially) on the recentish über deluxe Live At Leads box set; a lavish and expensive thing. If you invested in that then, yes, you have this recording already. But then you will already know that....

I have the original programme from that Hull gig. Which is nice. I found it tucked away in a used copy of Tommy. Which is nicer...

I had invested in the deluxe set, Ripped the CDs and put them away for safe keeping - so I AM very grateful for the warning (and just removed it from my Amazon wish list :))

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-At-Hull-Who?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Just bought the CD. I don't have a live version of Tommy so this seems a cheap way in. I think 'Sparks' is an amazing track. Hairs standing up on the back of the neck tune.

I have Leeds on LP but wasn't aware they had played Hull, the night before or night after.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hmm that doesn't seem to tally with what Pete Townshend said in an in depth piece in The Wire magazine a few months ago; he was talking about the great acoustics in the Leeds refectory and how they tried to recreate that on record. The Hull recording wasn't used because the tape was shit basically, hence the bass being redone.

mat
I went to a lot of gigs in Leeds University Refectory, and even remember some of them*. The acoustics were dire. It was known as the smartie tube.
* From 1975 onwards, so I missed The Who.

What nonsense

I went to a lot of gigs in Leeds University Refectory, and even remember some of them*. The acoustics were dire. It was known as the smartie tube.
* From 1975 onwards, so I missed The Who.
Same here. Being polite, Townsend has a very poor memory and constantly rewrites history. The Refec. acoustics were awful as one might expect from a room designed to eat cheap food in. Far better acoustics in the Riley Smith.

advertisement

Back