advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

After my "Air-King" was slipped off my wrist in the street by a Romanian woman, my wife bought me a similar replacement, a 34mm Oyster Perpetual with 9,3,6 numbers and no date (I hate dates). I mostly wear it at home, and if I have to go out to the shops or the post office or whatever I take it off. Not because I fear meeting another Romanian lady, but because the alternative technique in Rome is two men on a scooter who point a gun in your face. Seems absurd!

In case it can help anyone: Beware of a young lady stopping you in the street to ask directions, apparently foreign, slightly wacky and a bit lost and helpless (makes you feel relaxed and in control). She may put a hand on your arm, or try to kiss you in gratitude, and she'll slip the watch off while you try to pull away.

Don't let anyone get within arms reach is the rule.
That would be ideal, but how in a crowded city?
Walk around with a squad of bodyguards?
And if two men with guns or machetes come after you? Or they pull up on a scooter next to your car, smash the window and grab your arm?

Hello

I don't often wander in here but you guys might be able to advise. I have a 1988 ish Rolex stainless steel Datejust automatic that could benefit from a service. It's running, but not that accurate and quite a few scratches on the crystal, I think the crown needs adjusting too.

I don't really want to pay the £800+ Mappin and Webb have quoted as the minimum, there are independent watchmakers around who I'm sure offer both competence and better value. However since I got it serviced last time I think Rolex have tightened up on supply of parts. I had intended to send it to Swiss Time Services in Essex, the only thing that is stopping me is that when I phoned them they said they have lost their Rolex accreditation and now find it hard to source Rolex parts (if needed). I presume this applies to everyone else who used to service Rolexes as well.

STS offer a 2 year guarantee and also guarantee it will continue to be waterproof.

I'm in West Yorkshire, would likely send by courier or post (unless there is an expert Rolex watch repairer round the corner I don't know about).

thoughts on servicing options please?

[Mods feel free to move this if I've stuck it somewhere daft]

I posted this or one like it before. Worth a view for anybody like me who thinks they're too cool / streetwise to ever get caught:

It's just another example of if you run into a pro, you're done. Same goes for house burglary, car theft, anything. The man in question is a conjuror, the difference is that he uses the skills to steal things. You can say "don't let anyone get within arm's length" but in the street you won't notice until it's too late . You'll be walking around minding your own business, then bump, oh sorry mate, you all right? He pats your arm, that's you done. Then he's gone.

if someone is very good, thinking that you can avoid it is like thinking that you can watch a conjuror and know how he did it, or that you can step into a ring with a boxer or karate expert and stay out of his way. You can't. By the time you think that he's about to throw a punch, he's kicked you in the head and you are lying on the floor.

Have you contacted Rolex directly? I asked Breitling how to return my watch to them for service as I had no nearby service agent and they told me. Came back with a whole new mechanism FOC because they thought that was better than servicing the original, timekeeping accuracy went up hugely. Haven't had to set the time in years apart from clock changes

It's just another example of if you run into a pro, you're done. Same goes for house burglary, car theft, anything. The man in question is a conjuror, the difference is that he uses the skills to steal things. You can say "don't let anyone get within arm's length" but in the street you won't notice until it's too late . You'll be walking around minding your own business, then bump, oh sorry mate, you all right? He pats your arm, that's you done. Then he's gone.

if someone is very good, thinking that you can avoid it is like thinking that you can watch a conjuror and know how he did it, or that you can step into a ring with a boxer or karate expert and stay out of his way. You can't. By the time you think that he's about to throw a punch, he's kicked you in the head and you are lying on the floor.
In addition the thief chooses the moment, while your mind is somewhere else.

Hello

I don't often wander in here but you guys might be able to advise. I have a 1988 ish Rolex stainless steel Datejust automatic that could benefit from a service. It's running, but not that accurate and quite a few scratches on the crystal, I think the crown needs adjusting too.

I don't really want to pay the £800+ Mappin and Webb have quoted as the minimum, there are independent watchmakers around who I'm sure offer both competence and better value. However since I got it serviced last time I think Rolex have tightened up on supply of parts. I had intended to send it to Swiss Time Services in Essex, the only thing that is stopping me is that when I phoned them they said they have lost their Rolex accreditation and now find it hard to source Rolex parts (if needed). I presume this applies to everyone else who used to service Rolexes as well.

STS offer a 2 year guarantee and also guarantee it will continue to be waterproof.

I'm in West Yorkshire, would likely send by courier or post (unless there is an expert Rolex watch repairer round the corner I don't know about).

[Mods feel free to move this if I've stuck it somewhere daft]

75% of are work is Rolex so if your after somebody let us know

Absolutely true. Think I told the story before but travelling on the French underground, my wife, youngest daughter and I got targeted by a team of at least 5 North African looking chaps. Miraculously, lost nothing, as all our lot have been well schooled in not carrying anything travelling you don't want to lose, and all wallets and purses were deep in zipped handbags or buried in a front jeans pocket in my case.

Two of the guys slipped in front of us as we were heading up the escalator, two behind. The ones at the top pretended to stumble, blocking the exit to the escalator, and as we stumbled forward onto0 them, the two behind pressed in and 'fell forward' on to the top of us. By pure luck, I had seen the same stunt pulled in a documentary on Italian pickpockets not one before, so twigged immediately what had happened - but couldn't do anything to stop it. Just about felt a finger go into my back pocket to check for anything there but could do nothing about it. But presumed there were hands everywhere in the fracas.

As soon as the melee cleared the two teams of two split in opposite directions. I pulled the girls aside and explained what had happened, and asked them to check their bags - the zips had been open, but with their passports and wallets being zipped into secondary compartments, somehow we got away with no loss.

The train we got on was delayed a few minutes, and as we were waiting on it - the 4 lads reappeared with a 5th member - who I suspect had probably been stationed at the top of the escalator as a lookout in case there were cops or transport company staff about.

'Twas a real pro job. Even if we had got stuff taken - you wouldn't have known which of the 4 to go for, and the three of us weren't likely to get very far trying to accost four lean and reasonably fit looking males. Add that to the fact the 5th guy was kicking around, and had probably vetted the place to make sure there were no other 'officials' of any kind we could call to for help - and there was no way we could have got anything back even if we knew they'd taken it.

Moral of the story - I'm not sure, other than be careful what you take with you travelling, and don't take what you're afraid to lose perhaps.

How's the course going Bazza? Really enjoyed your previous videos.
Really well but I'm not there much at min because the projects we have been set can all be done remotely.
I've been working at AJWSL which is only 300m from the University and the jobs we have in are amazing plus
working on the job you learn so much more. Once I get this next essay in I'll do an update video 👍🏻

^ no need to mention origins/look.
Point taken.

Just a simple statement of fact - no offence intended. We boarded the train at Versailles, and virtually all of the other clientele and individuals at the station were white, which was why this group of five stood out when they walked past the train the second time.

Not strictly speaking a watch (except that you'd spend all of your time watching it), but should you have CHF38,900 burning a hole in your pocket...

IMG-5960.jpg
I bought this a few weeks ago. At 41mm it’s about as big as looks sensible on me. I’m really pleased with it.

Oh that's a lovely looking watch, I don't think I'd have the patience to work on one though, even if I had the ability. Credit to you sir!

advertisement

Back