advertisement

The US Republican Party - A Threat To The World?

Is the US Republican Party a threat to world peace?

• Total voters

maxflinn

pfm Member
Yes they are a threat to world peace.

No, they are not a threat to world peace.

I couldn't care less one way or the other.

Choose one please :)

Yes they are a threat to world peace.

Done! That was not hard, now was it?

Max,

Your poll is fine and very straightforward for all but the willfully obtuse.

Party is a singular noun. The options don't specify who 'they', the plural pronoun, are. One guesses members of the Republican party, but 'they' could equally be the slug invaders from planet zog.

the slug invaders from planet zog.

Aha, the US Republican Party...

Ted-Cruz-AP.jpg

Sluggis zogus texani

There are actually elements in the Republican party who are good for world peace. There are many who see themselves as conservatives who avoid the party and share their minority views. Unfortunately they are minority views ( or positions ) in terms of most of the party politicians.

In the main the picture is really bad. A big part of the problem is the way politicians in the US are so beholden to corporate and other special interests ( e.g. banking, arms industry, AIPAC ). Many Democrat politicians are as bad because of a combination of the same legalised corruption and because of fear of looking weak against Rep rivals.
A factor that makes the Reps look worse is the greater preponderance of religious posturing from their ranks. ( Fundamentalist religion has also been a real danger in the past and could be again ).

Absolutely yes, they are a danger, is my overall conclusion.

They are possibly the biggest threat to world peace!
Mind you even the Democrats are far too right wing by any reasonable standard... The USA needs some new political parties which are not owned by Mega-industry Inc.... of course the present two parties will move heaven and earth to prevent that! What democracy????

I think most of the votes so far are from a European perspective. So it's by no means cut and dried; this evening Reuters are reporting Americans see Putin as only slightly more imminent threat than Obama

So there. we don't know what the threat is, but it's bad, Very Bad. And we mustn't let it compromise our Purity of Essence.

'Sir, we cannot allow a Threat Gap
jackd.jpg

(I have no snide point to make, but observe US domestic politics is really frigging weird even on a jaded european's scale of really-frigging-weird)

Mind you even the Democrats are far too right wing by any reasonable standard... The USA needs some new political parties which are not owned by Mega-industry Inc.... of course the present two parties will move heaven and earth to prevent that! What democracy????

A study of the Australian political scene found that the entire Australian political spectrum fitted comfortably inside the more liberal end of the US Democratic Party.

The USA is a big country, meaning that election for national office inevitably costs lots of money. Meaning in turn that people with lots of money have lots of influence, and can demand that their perceived needs (lower taxation on investment income, less environmentla regulation, etc.) be met. The Supreme Court Citizens United "corporations are people" decision has allowed enormous amounts of corporate money into the system, and now we have PACs and SuperPACs.

They are possibly the biggest threat to world peace!

Completely agree, the problem is though that Mega Industry Inc pretty much own the entire media, so any new potential parties will remain unheard. The U.S. political system is rotten to the core and not likely to change anytime soon.

Rich

Completely agree, the problem is though that Mega Industry Inc pretty much own the entire media, so any new potential parties will remain unheard. The U.S. political system is rotten to the core and not likely to change anytime soon.

Rich

Indeed!! Same in UK but much worse in USA I believe....

It has occurred to me (maybe I'm late on this one!? :confused:) that maybe in the UK even the Green Party may be getting most of it's funding from manufacturers of wind turbines, wave power installations, solar panels etc rather than eco concerned individuals....

advertisement

Back