advertisement

The tide is turning

brown does not equate with computing.

With added orange the colour brown goes to the very heart of my first true computer love...

Digital_pdp8-e2.jpg

TOPS-10 and RSTS/E... Mmmm...

That said...

pdp11-70-front.jpg

Computers in Fruity colours were not even Apple original ideas... Black Forest Gateaux?

Those old DECs really were cool. I remember walking past a skip in Liverpool that had a PDP11 in it back in the early 90s, wasn't anything I could do to rescue it really.

if GNU-linux becomes a substantial part of the windows operating system (which clearly is the case here), it would mean that windows would have to be distributed as free software.

vuk.

if GNU-linux becomes a substantial part of the windows operating system (which clearly is the case here), it would mean that windows would have to be distributed as free software.

vuk.

Whilst not free as you propose I am sure, my last Windows version upgrade was free, maybe they are heading that way?

Not necessarily. It is worth noting OS X is based on BSD, includes vi, emacs etc as part of every installation, yet despite being free of charge to Apple users for many years now (IIRC you need to pay for OS X Server) is still what you would likely describe as a proprietary system. I'm sure Microsoft would be able to achieve similar should they wish.

PDP-11.... took me 10+ years to forget the bootstrap toggle sequence, so well was it ingrained.

All the bits they are using are already free and open source and no doubt the bit that Canonical is writing will be as well (although it's fairly useless in that regard). But overall this is a small part of Linux and an even smaller part of Windows and almost all of it has previously been available as Win32 ports anyway so all that really changes is that windows now has the real thing and not some slightly imperfect copy.

What is more of a concern is the old Microsoft/Apple/OtherBigCorp switcheroo of taking an open source product that is not adequately licensed and patented, redistributing a modified version, acquiring patents and then charging everyone else royalties.

http://techrights.org/2016/03/10/charm-offensives-distract/

Not necessarily. It is worth noting OS X is based on BSD, includes vi, emacs etc as part of every installation, yet despite being free of charge to Apple users for many years now (IIRC you need to pay for OS X Server) is still what you would likely describe as a proprietary system. I'm sure Microsoft would be able to achieve similar should they wish.
BSD has a freer licence than GNU and the Linux kernel.

But I'm sure that since Windows won't be built with any GNU components, the FSF licence won't pollute Windows itself. MS have pretty good lawyers.

Paul

OK I have had it to play with all day.

The Good.
Its fast
Its full windows
I feel all fancy and business like with it in my hands
It totally drives my 34 inch screen as well as its own, I cannot fathom a reason I would need this, but neat.

The not so good

It has a fan. Now to be fair I have been smashing the drive updating onedrive, icloud photos etc but the fan was going most of the day. Seems quieter now

Remote desktop is all over the place, logging into my servers I need like super xray vision to see it

Its hard to get to grips with the touch, its no where near as good as an ipad, not even the same league, clicks don't work or nothing appear to happen then stuff happens.

Using the pen to click open the keyboard, opens the handwriting board thing, what a pain in the arse, it means you have to put the pen down to use the keyboard.

Its schitzo, its been said enough times, but its not really a pc or a tablet.

the ugly
I have a pounding headache after short use. I need to get my eyes tested.

Yes I forgot to mention other good things about the Surface 3.
- No fan.
- Quad core Atom processor isn't as powerful as the i5 but has variable clock speed for long battery life.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom