advertisement

The Rega Elicit Mk5

Interesting, as I have been running my Aethos since it replaced SN2/Hcdr and a few 4-boxes Naim seperates.
Aethos certainly match my current room and setup very well.

While I do have my Nait 50 still in sealed box, awaiting retirement, and access to both Rega IO and Brio, I hardly do direct compares any longer.

Have yet to hear the new Elicit, the older /R didn't impress me that much.
Elicit-R is mk3 I believe. I owned the older Elicit mk2 which is the predecessor to the R. I'm not impressed with the Elicit mk2 or 1st generation Nait XS. They should be 15 years old by now if not more.

I still have the 282/hcdr/250DR which are now placed on the same rack as the Luxman L-590AXII. I will only swap the amps if I swap speakers. Similarly I don't compare stuff anymore these days. I've made the comparison several years ago and am aware about the strengths and weaknesses of each component and how well they match with the speakers that I own.

It's interesting that the amps have quite different presentations. The IO and Brio-R sound different too. I guess it's a good thing? More choice.
about the brio-r : they changed it in 2017. I think the io is inspired from the 2017 model. But it’s developed from Ashton Wagner, who also worked on the new elex mk4 later

I know that some Aethos owners have been unimpressed by the egonomics of the remote volume. Either Rega have fixed this across the range, or the Elicit 5 has escaped it - both the Solaris remote that came with the amp, or the little Brio control that I also have work very well; baby steps on first press, and more serious movement if held. it's just as good as a Naim remote.
I bought an ex-demo Aethos last week from my dealer to replace my Elicit-R (he had brought it in last July) and I have no problem with the remote. A short press of the Solaris remote gives a small decrease/increase in volume. The usable volume range is shorter with the Aethos (the Elicit-R didn't start getting loud until 12 o'clock, whereas I wouldn't go above 12 o'clock on Aria MC high gain with the Aethos (much higher on low gain when I tried). So they may have silently fixed that remote problem.
(Edit: this is into Harbeth SHL5 plus, so 86db/1W/1m)

I bought an ex-demo Aethos last week from my dealer to replace my Elicit-R (he had brought it in last July) and I have no problem with the remote. A short press of the Solaris remote gives a small decrease/increase in volume. The usable volume range is shorter with the Aethos (the Elicit-R didn't start getting loud until 12 o'clock, whereas I wouldn't go above 12 o'clock on Aria MC high gain with the Aethos (much higher on low gain when I tried). So they may have silently fixed that remote problem.
(Edit: this is into Harbeth SHL5 plus, so 86db/1W/1m)

One of my reasons for not looking for a s/h Elicit-R was the idea that the gain structure wasn't ideal. While the amp is/was very powerful on paper, my sense is that it used a soft stepped attenuator which meant that some felt it "ran out of road" when used with low output sources. I think Rega have been quite explicit that using the same preamp as the Aethos in the Elicit 5 is one of the greatest improvements between the two iterations.

"Comfortable" volume with the Elicit 5 on a line input is 9 o'clock-ish, gets hefty around 10.30, and is threatening to do some demolition at around noon. This is a bit higher - in a good way - than the Naim volume I'm familiar with, but not to the point where things feel a bit weird (such as running passives in some circumstances).

Among the Elicit 5's swiss-army knife feature list is the point that it has both pre-out and power-in, so among my other tweakery I may try running it as a power amp from the Allegri+.

My wife is out for the evening, so a serious session is underway. I've plumbed in my DPA DAC, may try the LS50s in a bit, and am just having a whale of a time. What a great amp this is.

One of my reasons for not looking for a s/h Elicit-R was the idea that the gain structure wasn't ideal. While the amp is/was very powerful on paper, my sense is that it used a soft stepped attenuator which meant that some felt it "ran out of road" when used with low output sources. I think Rega have been quite explicit that using the same preamp as the Aethos in the Elicit 5 is one of the greatest improvements between the two iterations.
Correct. The Elicit-R's volume control was reminiscent of the Cursa 3's. You could easily listen to its MM input at 3 o'clock, but there was always some margin left if you wanted, and it sure would not have been possible to listen to it at max volume.
Enjoy your new toy!

"Comfortable" volume with the Elicit 5 on a line input is 9 o'clock-ish, gets hefty around 10.30, and is threatening to do some demolition at around noon. This is a bit higher - in a good way - than the Naim volume I'm familiar with, but not to the point where things feel a bit weird (such as running passives in some circumstances).

Among the Elicit 5's swiss-army knife feature list is the point that it has both pre-out and power-in, so among my other tweakery I may try running it as a power amp from the Allegri+.

My wife is out for the evening, so a serious session is underway. I've plumbed in my DPA DAC, may try the LS50s in a bit, and am just having a whale of a time. What a great amp this is.
I’m very curious how it does with your LS50s. Are they the Meta, or original?

Also very curious how the internal DAC compares to your Qutest.

I’m very curious how it does with your LS50s. Are they the Meta, or original?

Also very curious how the internal DAC compares to your Qutest.

LS50s and the internal DAC are for further exploration tomorrow. They are originals (non-Meta).

A strange speaker in this room - I usually run it with the bungs in, as I just don't have enough space to really pull it away from the bookshelves behind. When I can get this balance right, they can be spectacularly good; although the ProAcs are better all-rounders.

I really like the Brio R, would you say the bigger Rega integrated have a similar family sound @Tim Jones

The Brio-R is a lovely amp. But in this context it sounds unsurprisingly smaller and softer. One thing that for me is in the Elicit's favour - but really might not be for everyone - is the sheer drama it presents. It is all but impossible to put something on as background while I'm working or reading.

The internal DAC is...competent. It's just below my DPA. I think I could live with it if I had to, but the Qutest ultimately has more muscle, subtlety, dynamics and extension in both directions.

The Elicit is surprisingly good with my (non-Meta) LS50s. Unbunged, it probably brings the greatest sense of control and definition to the bass with these of any amp I've had in this room (NAP250DR, Pass Aleph 3 or Sugden A21SE - all of course quite different), but on balance I still prefer the LS50s with bungs in - the mids just reach out and grab me. As all-rounders though, the ProAcs are still better to my ears; perhaps because they aren't quite as relentless as the LS50s.

The Brio-R is a lovely amp. But in this context it sounds unsurprisingly smaller and softer. One thing that for me is in the Elicit's favour - but really might not be for everyone - is the sheer drama it presents. It is all but impossible to put something on as background while I'm working or reading.

The internal DAC is...competent. It's just below my DPA. I think I could live with it if I had to, but the Qutest ultimately has more muscle, subtlety, dynamics and extension in both directions.

The Elicit is surprisingly good with my (non-Meta) LS50s. Unbunged, it probably brings the greatest sense of control and definition to the bass with these of any amp I've had in this room (NAP250DR, Pass Aleph 3 or Sugden A21SE - all of course quite different), but on balance I still prefer the LS50s with bungs in - the mids just reach out and grab me. As all-rounders though, the ProAcs are still better to my ears; perhaps because they aren't quite as relentless as the LS50s.
about the Dac: I think that in both the elex mk4 and elicit mk5, even if the integrated dac (and integrated Phono stage )are really really good, the analog input are just on another level.

did you also tried the dac r or a saturn from rega and compared to the Qutest ?

about the Dac: I think that in both the elex mk4 and elicit mk5, even if the integrated dac (and integrated Phono stage )are really really good, the analog input are just on another level.

did you also tried the dac r or a saturn from rega and compared to the Qutest ?
Sadly, there is a limit to the number of comparisons I can make. I need a DAC because my digital source is a Naim UnitiCore. While they can divide opinion, I like the Chord DACs, and the selectable output voltage has been a real benefit with different amps and preamps.

I owned a Saturn MK1 many years ago, but that is far away from current models...

advertisement

Back