advertisement

The perfect walk around camera

The Leica M series are not weather proof. And according to the internet, not lightproof either, with lots of reports saying long exposures show marked flare where light creeps in around the lens mount. Just as many report fogging of lenses and viewfinders in damp/humid weather.

The Q3 is at least IP52, which isn't much but is something, and being a fixed lens is far less likely to fog in wet conditions.
Shame because Charlie's idea of a used M10 and one or two lenses had just got me twitching.

Ok I can avoid damp weather, invest in rubber bands and plastic bags and carry a battery powered hairdryer....for the pleasure of that special Leica something which you can't use in the jungle or even in Scotland from October through to April :)

I exaggerate, but at that price it should be engineered NOT to leak light or fog up.

I've used my Q2 in fairly rainy conditions and it's been 100% fine. I wouldn't have a non-weather sealed camera now, all of mine are (Q2, XT2, XH2), though some of my Fuji lenses (35/1.4, 56/1.2) aren't.

The Leica M series are not weather proof. And according to the internet, not lightproof either, with lots of reports saying long exposures show marked flare where light creeps in around the lens mount. Just as many report fogging of lenses and viewfinders in damp/humid weather.

The Q3 is at least IP52, which isn't much but is something, and being a fixed lens is far less likely to fog in wet conditions.
Shame because Charlie's idea of a used M10 and one or two lenses had just got me twitching.

Ok I can avoid damp weather, invest in rubber bands and plastic bags and carry a battery powered hairdryer....for the pleasure of that special Leica something which you can't use in the jungle or even in Scotland from October through to April :)

I exaggerate, but at that price it should be engineered NOT to leak light or fog up.
I think the idea of Leica M series was for digital evolutions of the M 6/7/ etc and mainly for reportage and journalistic or documentary photography and yes I agree they shoukd have been made more waterproof with rubber seals etc. However I have not experienced those mentioned issues as my work is usually handheld and not used in very damp conditions so far. It is horses for courses in the end but I think the next generation of any camera let alone Leica M series should improve the weather sealing etc to avoid ingress of dust and moisture.

So far I have not suffered any real problems with the M9P apart from the sensor replacement in 2015 under their warranty, works fine so far but it does not get as much use these days. Perhaps a Q3 or later on a Q4 with further refinements might be the route for me. I am sure there are other cameras that have the weather seals as part of their design already but I just have not explored this yet.

I must say I haven't seen reports about flare or light leaks around the lens mount. I have used Ms since the late 90s – M6 TTL, M2, M9 and M10. None of these have had any problems with lens fogging, view finder fogging or light leaks. I take them out everywhere with me and have used them in the rain.

Of course, I don't have them hanging around my neck with the rain lashing down all the time. I keep my M inside my jacket or in a Billingham. I take the camera out to take the photograph and then put it straight back inside, if the rain is lashing down.

I can't tell you about long exposures (i.e. on a tripod), as I use the M handheld all the time. I can't remember the last time I used the flash, as everything is just shot on available light.

What about silver X-T4, and all silver 23 / 35 and 50 f2 lenses all 'as new' nick for 1800?
Starter in Fuji land at MPB.
When I can afford it I'll add the 10-24 zoom

What about silver X-T4, and all silver 23 / 35 and 50 f2 lenses all 'as new' nick for 1800?
Starter in Fuji land at MPB.
When I can afford it I'll add the 10-24 zoom
As a walkabout cam I think the X100 series is hard to beat. But if you're worried about the focal length the WCL converter is great - not huge, and very very sharp. I had both the WCL (28mm equivalent) and TCL (50mm) with my OG X100. Sold them when it broke on me, and now have Mr Perceptive's old set in readiness for the VI when it arrives.

PS if you're interested in an XT3, or X-Pro 2, I have ones for sale. I could be persuaded to sell my Fujicrons too (16, 35 and 50). I'm thinking the X100VI and TCL/WCL will be my main photo rig, and either X-H2s with zooms or a Lumix S5IIx (or possibly G9II) will be my video setup - but the latter would need me to move away from Fuji with my lenses.

I was loaned a Q2 for an extended period (before the Q3 came out). I've used a lot of cameras over the past few years but I've never used one that just got out the way to the level the Leica does. You just take pictures. You don't think about it as a fancy electrical bit off kit somehow. Image quality from lens/sensor combination is superb. Yes its wide at 28mm but it makes you think. And I love the colours. The Q3 just sounds like more of the same and certainly allows for more cropping. The thumb grip is a must in my opinion. Its a different option to the others you mention but I'd always be worried that you're buying into other systems with the other choices. But the Leica is complete, no more lenses, no lust for extra lenses. I'd put it alongside my 'never to be sold' Nikon Df in terms of image quality.

I've used a lot of cameras over the past few years but I've never used one that just got out the way to the level the Leica does. You just take pictures. You don't think about it as a fancy electrical bit off kit somehow. Image quality from lens/sensor combination is superb. Yes its wide at 28mm but it makes you think. And I love the colours. The Q3 just sounds like more of the same and certainly allows for more cropping. The thumb grip is a must in my opinion. Its a different option to the others you mention but I'd always be worried that you're buying into other systems with the other choices. But the Leica is complete, no more lenses, no lust for extra lenses.

^ After 5 weeks with Q3, this pretty much sums up how I feel - not a fan of the thumbgrip though (I've had years of using X100's which are rather gripless, and got used to it, and I like quick access to the rotary dial).

@MarkLJ - In portrait format the Q series cameras are exactly the same angle of view as the GF45mm on the GFX 4:3 sensor, so cropping the Leica to 4:3 gives the same FOV as the GF45mm on a GFX (and amazingly still has more resolution than a 50MP GFX!!)

Having a walk around camera with a fixed lens IMO is excellent, once you are tuned into that focal length, the images will just flow, and there are no options as Mark says to get distracted by.

The only barrier to the Q series IMO is the initial purchase price, if you can get over that there really is nothing like it. (Low depreciation helps any man-maths BTW)

Ive always fancied a walkaround - Used my Leica D-Lux like that, but to be honest my phone is unobtrusive and takes great photos. I don't really want to carry a camera.

My DSLR only ever has its long lens on for w life shots now

advertisement

Back