advertisement

The next 007

I grew up with Roger Moore (not literally), so he's my favourite. For me, I always enjoyed the comedy aspect.

As for the next bond, If nothing else, I thought the guy with the eye-patch out of Game of Thrones had an amazing voice, so I'd be interested if he auditioned for the part. He may well be a crap bond (I'm far from an expert on actors) but we recently finished GOT and I'd really like to see if he could perform in a good, leading movie role.

I think we're a similar age FatM, & I agree. This is the thing, the acting is superfluous: RM in Live & Let Die, & The Spy Who Loved me, are both top tier bonds full of wooden acting. If the film works, you gloss over it. Overall the RM period is my favourite, Octopussy, Moonraker, & A View To A Kill.. were nuts but exciting (the US Bond Girl in Moonraker, is the most terrible actor in the whole franchise- you can't not notice her!). The comedy ramped up to silly levels, but swanny whistle aside, thanks to RM's comic ability (none of the others had whatsoever), the comedy moments do mostly work. The RM period was the most consistently imaginative with the best crop of directors.

You are biased towards your own heyday Bond, of course. Capt

I love the Roger Moore films too. Live and Let Die might be my favourite - Bond in a Blaxploitation flick is just so much fun.

I just watched the trailer again on YouTube...

Ys6tOiv.png

I think we're a similar age FatM, & I agree. This is the thing, the acting is superfluous: RM in Live & Let Die, & The Spy Who Loved me, are both top tier bonds full of wooden acting. If the film works, you gloss over it. Overall the RM period is my favourite, Octopussy, Moonraker, & A View To A Kill.. were nuts but exciting (the US Bond Girl in Moonraker, is the most terrible actor in the whole franchise- you can't not notice her!). The comedy ramped up to silly levels, but swanny whistle aside, thanks to RM's comic ability (none of the others had whatsoever), the comedy moments do mostly work. The RM period was the most consistently imaginative with the best crop of directors.

You are biased towards your own heyday Bond, of course. Capt
I see what you mean about the slide whistle. These guys re-edited it, and put the bond theme at the end - Much better.

I see what you mean about the slide whistle. These guys re-edited it, and put the bond theme at the end - Much better.

Tbh I'd forgotten about the abomination until Martin mentioned it earlier in the thread. I've also been in 2nd unit (camera dept) crews doing car stunts.. but that it is an exceptional stunt & didn't deserve the ridiculous audio. I bet the stunt man/ dept was fkn furious.

Man With Golden Gun is very good, & I even like For Your Eyes Only! Which is pretty crap, but I hold a soft spot for it even so: you see you can still get much from even the flawed RM bond films like this & Diamonds Are Forever, again fairly crap but still has charm, & some interesting characters. A flawed D.Craig bond film? A total & utter mindless waste of 2 hrs.

Capt

I grew up with Roger Moore (not literally), so he's my favourite. For me, I always enjoyed the comedy aspect.

As for the next bond, If nothing else, I thought the guy with the eye-patch out of Game of Thrones had an amazing voice, so I'd be interested if he auditioned for the part. He may well be a crap bond (I'm far from an expert on actors) but we recently finished GOT and I'd really like to see if he could perform in a good, leading movie role.
That's Pilou Asbæk, a superb actor I agree, but being Danish might preclude him from being Bond. I'd be perfectly happy with it, but I suspect there will be a lot of 'traditional' interests shouting otherwise.

If you liked him in GoT, check out Borgen and the 2nd series of The Killing. Very different characters, but equally magnetic performances.

My fav is "Goldfinger," a remarkable look a like like the mega rich landlord...

auric_goldfinger.jpg

... I beat in litigation (Housing Law) in the county court 3 times, 1st time, possession order set aside as a rubber stamped CO, after my appeal.

2nd time their case collapsed cos their court papers were OOO.

3rd time I win cos I held the winning card up my sleeve, hehe.

Just prior to Judgement, I offered a settlement, a figure of £30,000, his reply = PO.

I win, pig landlord was distraught what a facial expression, his outburst, "OH MY GOD."

Reading around it. the jump was computer modelled with early prototype vehicle dynamics modelling software, prior to the real thing. As a result of the modelling, the car was also modified with a 5th wheel located amidships at the rear-axle to stabilise the fore-aft pitching prior to launch.

Bit of additional footage of the jump filmed by a member of the crew on-set at the time. A one-time take apparently:

That's Pilou Asbæk, a superb actor I agree, but being Danish might preclude him from being Bond. I'd be perfectly happy with it, but I suspect there will be a lot of 'traditional' interests shouting otherwise.

If you liked him in GoT, check out Borgen and the 2nd series of The Killing. Very different characters, but equally magnetic performances.
Agree, Pilou played a great part in GOT, but I was on about Richard Dormer, not so much for the acting, but his voice. I googled it, and it seems I'm not the only one who thinks he's got a great voice (Being a straight male I wouldn't agree on sexy though).

Agree, Pilou played a great part in GOT, but I was on about Richard Dormer, not so much for the acting, but his voice. I googled it, and it seems I'm not the only one who thinks he's got a great voice (Being a straight male I wouldn't agree on sexy though).

Apologies, I think I was getting mixed up between the tv series that finished some years ago and the books, which I have re-read much more recently.

Pilou's on-screen version of the Crow's Eye doesn't have a patch at all, whereas in the books he very much does. It has been a few years since I saw the final series.

Richard Dormer's superb performance as Beric Dondarrion definitely featured a patch, after one of the 6 or 7 times he was killed and brought back by the red priest. He was very good in Fortitude too, although the whole thing went off the rails a bit, but that's not his fault.
He was so good as a character in GoT that the writers kept him in the tv series much longer than he survives in the books.

If you liked the tv series but haven't yet read the books, they are in a whole different league.

I might read the books again, in order. I have a full set plus some spares of the paperbacks (already given another full set to my eldest son) and a few Cape hardback first editions, although not all with the dust-jackets.
They are non-taxing and relatively short books which suit me as since my brain injury I struggle to read anything that requires concentration.

The paperbacks that I have are very much like these illustrated - I got them from charity shops in the 1980’s/90’s when they were relatively easy to find. I never see them in charity shops nowadays.

Fleming%27s_paperback_Bonds.jpg
I love the novels too :)

Best single page I have ever read in a novel was in The Man With The Golden Gun. Bear in mind the novel has a different plot to the movie: Bond is in a secluded house with Scaramanger and his gang, but Bond's cover has been blown and he knows he is soon to executed. Bond sits alone in his bedroom getting ever more depressed as the concedes he is out gunned and isolated. Resigned to his fate - yes the novels are a lot darker than the movies. Then something flips in his mind....... I'll not spoil it for anyone who is yet to read the novel. But this one page tells you more about the essential aspect of the character of Bond than everything else contained in the novels. I love it.

Off topic - but for the car-guys like me, here's a bit more background to the corkscrew jump and modelling. It was first developed and tested for a stunt-show a year prior to the Bond movie. The original stunt was also performed using an AMC Javelin btw - which helps explain Bond and Sheriff JW's happenstance finding of one in a Thai car-showroom :) )

(I tried to edit the earlier post, but don't have the option any more unfortunately)

I love the novels too :)

Best single page I have ever read in a novel was in The Man With The Golden Gun. Bear in mind the novel has a different plot to the movie: Bond is in a secluded house with Scaramanger and his gang, but Bond's cover has been blown and he knows he is soon to executed. Bond sits alone in his bedroom getting ever more depressed as the concedes he is out gunned and isolated. Resigned to his fate - yes the novels are a lot darker than the movies. Then something flips in his mind....... I'll not spoil it for anyone who is yet to read the novel. But this one page tells you more about the essential aspect of the character of Bond than everything else contained in the novels. I love it.
Does he phone MacGyver?

My goodness even if acting isn't priority, Yaphet Kotto's acting in Live & Let Die makes Judy Dench look 2-D: some of the best acting I've seen in any film, perfection in this (just had my Sunday Bond night, tonight). And the real M shows Dench up as having absolutely zero comic ability too. JW Pepper's antics in his clapped out vey-hickle, what a fantastic comic addition. Amazing Bond film.

All of 3 big action scenes, & a sprinkling of short quickfire ones, simple as; I just hope the new director just re-watches how Bond should be done.

Capt

advertisement

Back