advertisement

The Crap Inside

frayededges

Second flat rock on the left
Hi.

I had a problem with a P500 power amp today. turns out, not a major problem, just a problem with a connector that looks to have been loosened in transit. Sound is back to being nice again.

But I can't help but think - why do we spend so much money on the interconnects when the internal wire are so... well... crap?

Has anyone ever upgraded wires like this - running from the RCA sockets to the amp board - on an amp/power amp with any success?

Avondale often do rewires to improve things. Im not sure thats its all down to wire type though, its probably a lot to do with re routing and citing things better for current flow/noise.

Wires make a difference, but often not very much... there's often more rewarding mods to be done first imo.

Yes, by default when replacing the crappy and often broken PCB mount RCA sockets with panel mount jobbies.

Tsk tsk, don't tell me someone has looked *inside* a box and discovered it's not worth many hundreds of pounds! Good heavens. I knew we should have used security fixings and spent a few bob on gold drum feet instead.

I hope to Christ nobody gets their hands on an upmarket power supply then starts comparing its contents and performance with, say, a plastic-housed PSU from a computer printer, or we're sunk!

To be fair, the wiring inside the box has a different job and environment to that outside.

It is in a metal case, which keeps RF out. It is (or should be) integrated into the earthing pattern of the bit of kit. It doesn't need to be unplugged and reconnected, so flexibility is not so much of an issue.

This doesn't mean that any old thing will do, but the answer may be different because the question is different.

To be fair, the wiring inside the box has a different job and environment to that outside.

It is in a metal case, which keeps RF out. It is (or should be) integrated into the earthing pattern of the bit of kit. It doesn't need to be unplugged and reconnected, so flexibility is not so much of an issue.

This doesn't mean that any old thing will do, but the answer may be different because the question is different.

...and to go slightly further - many pieces of kit have been right royally f**ked up by well-meaning tweakers replacing internal wire with stuff that is 'better'.

Is there not a load of little rf's and emi's floating around on the inside of the case too, that can't get out....?

Which may affect all the internal wiring?

Sure; it's just that it is a different environment, with different constraints, so the answers are not always going to be the same.

Another are worth considering - the 'upgraded power cord' mob with their 'cable dressing' etc. Clearly many are people who have not looked at what lies on the other side of most wall switchplates, where judiciously tightened screws can often make for real audible change. Source first ;)

advertisement

Back