advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

91Wr10jVb3L._AC_UL232_SR232,232_.jpg

I think I might have mentioned this disc before but can't remember. Anyway, its a delight. As good a performance of the Ravel as I can remember.

Dutilleux is one of my favourite (just about) contemporary composers. As for Stephen Hough as composer, its only slightly less conservative than the 2 other works of his I've heard, its like a dialogue between Poulenc and Janacek.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Emilie Mayer.
Aka the female Beethoven, apparently.
Listening to her 7th symphony I can understand why.
Her 3rd is also excellent, although more classical in feel.
On the cpo label conducted by the excellent Jan Willem de Vriend.

[281995%2F8652583%2Fmceclip0]

Emilie Mayer.
Aka the female Beethoven, apparently.
Listening to her 7th symphony I can understand why.
Her 3rd is also excellent, although more classical in feel.
On the cpo label conducted by the excellent Jan Willem de Vriend.

[281995%2F8652583%2Fmceclip0]
Found this on Spotify - only listened to 3rd Symphony so far, but wow.... finally something on the CPO label that should in the standard repertoire! :D. Didn't read anything about her befroe hearing, so my references were definitely in the early Beethoven/late Haydn/Rossini Overture space.... therefore it was surprise to discover after listening that it was composed in late 1840s!

Trying the 7th now.... more romantic, Mendelssohn & Schumann come to mind. But definitely very original and worth hearing more from this composer I'd never heard of. She was not ignored in her own time - her music was performed fairly widely in her lifetime.

Rozhdestvensky conducting a Russian orchestra in the Vaughan Williams symphonies on the Melodiya label.

Easy to scoff, and the Russian accents in the Sea Symphony are hilarious. But there is serious music making here.

The 2nd (London) symphony playing atm.

And this set has the best 6th symphony ever recorded imo. The finale, for once, not rushed - it's devastating.

[281995%2F8659567%2Fmceclip0]

Stunningly good Beethoven 7 with Clemens Schuldt and the BBC SO tonight on R3.

Rarely done well these days, this performance of the best Beethoven Symphony stands comparison with Karajan 1951and Carlos Kleiber, in my opinion.

Bach - Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin - Joseph Szigeti (Vanguard Classics)

Old school violin playing that can sound almost “rough” at first, but with repeat listenings, will leave you haunted by an intense yearning for more. He knows how to make this music speak to the heart. A rare talent.

Bach - Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin - Joseph Szigeti (Vanguard Classics)

Old school violin playing that can sound almost “rough” at first, but with repeat listenings, will leave you haunted by an intense yearning for more. He knows how to make this music speak to the heart. A rare talent.
Wow, that's fabulous.
Excellent 1955 mono as well.
Thanks for the heads up.
I can't find it on Qobuz, but it's on YT.

[yt]

advertisement

Back