advertisement

The best sound counterweight on Rega RP6.

kazu

pfm Member
I use Nagaoka MP500(8g) cart on Rega RP6.

I'm concern about counterweight.
My stock Rega 100g counterweight is near end of stub. I align the MP500 to baerwald arc.

My question is the following.
I am very please if you give me good advices about this issue.

Thank you:)

1) Should I replace the Rega 100gm counterweight to heavier weight?
2) What benefit about sound quality I can get when I replace it to heavier weight?
3) What product is the best? groove tracer, ISOKINETIK etc...

I use isokinetik only as its lower centre of gravity allows my spacers under the arm and the lid to close

We do an adjustable mass counterweight (the sKale) designed for Rega arms - basic weight of 100g supplied with two additional discs of 20g each, www.tiger-paw.com. Should solve your problem.

Basically getting the counterweight closer to the pivot will give the cartridge a much easier time. We also move the centre of gravity of the counterweight slightly down but some manufacturers go a lot further. In my opinion, going too far below the pivot point tends to make the arm overly stable which again tends to reduce freedom of movement of the cartridge.

As TPA says, a heavier weight will move closer to the pivot and this is felt to be beneficial. The other way of doing this is to use a denser metal. I think that the Technoweight is made of tungsten, which has twice the density of lead.

Weights that hang lower do have an effect, whether it helps or not I don't know.

Moving the counterweight closer to the pivot point reduces changes in inertia (or the impact of) when tracking warps and is generally considered a good thing. I'm surprised the Nagaoka is sufficiently heavy as to cause the standard counterweight to ride so far back on the stub though.

Sorry, I attached a picture about the position of my Rega stock weight on RB303 with Nagaoka MP500
Please, see it.

Could you see this pic and let me know...
Should I replace to any heavier weight from Rega stock weight?

17537020464_b367092565_z.jpg" width="478" height="640" alt="Nagaoka MP500"

Hi misterc6, Thank you for your reply.

My tracking force dial is at just 1.5.
Also my VTF setting by digital scale too.
The VTF is around 1.5grams. This VTF is OK for the Nagaoka MP-500.

Kazu, a heavier weight should improve things, yes.

I also find that it's beneficial not to statically balance the arm in neutral but to leave some downforce from the counterweight, then dial in the amount of tracking force from the spring mechanism by using a tracking force gauge. You should keep a good gramme or so on the spring system to maintain some tension. Hope that makes sense.

advertisement

Back