advertisement

The 91st Linn LP12!

Interesting piece of history and looks fairly incompatible with a lot of later PSU upgrades. Also the motor pulley is different from later ones - no knuckle.

Looks like it's lost the front edging strip from the lid.

No ribbing on the plinth either but it certainly is a Linn plinth.

Not sure if that armboard is original or not. No logo and seems to be far too flat.

Certainly not worth £950 of my money and to be a collectors piece I think it would need to be a bit more "mint" than it is.

If it didn't have that Linn label on it you'd swear it was an Ariston RD11.

Here's an article showing more or less the exact same product under Ariston branding but with a few Linn replacement parts.

Interesting piece of history and looks fairly incompatible with a lot of later PSU upgrades. Also the motor pulley is different from later ones - no knuckle.
If it didn't have that Linn label on it you'd swear it was an Ariston RD11.

Here's an article showing more or less the exact same product under Ariston branding but with a few Linn replacement parts.

I'd guess it's one of the batch of RD11 turntables that Castle Precision Engineering made for Hamish Robertson, i.e. Ariston, but which became subject to a dispute - and which then became the first batch of LP12s.

OK, here is some pictorial evidence which seems to support that. First, two pictures of the Linn, serial number 91, very recently sold on eBay. These come from the ebay listing:
s-l1600.webp

s-l1600.webp

(Unfortunately, I'm having trouble with hosting the pictures, due to the file format, so these are direct links to ebay's picture hosting. When ebay take them down, they probably won't display here any longer.)

Now, some pictures of an Ariston RD11, serial number 21, sold by Hamish Robertson in August 1972. These came from the recent thread on Ariston history on another forum: (see here:https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ariston-history.1054333/)

20240315_135945 by grilled snapper, on Flickr

20240315_135956 by grilled snapper, on Flickr

20240315_135951 by grilled snapper, on Flickr

As is easily seen, the two decks really do look identical, apart from the removal of the Ariston branding on the armboard. (Also, the motor pulleys are different, but there's reason to think that the one on the Ariston has been replaced at some point.) The most significant evidence however is that the two decks clearly bear the same two labels. On the Ariston, the silver inspection label has been signed W.J.R. Those were Hamish Robertson's initials. On the Linn, the identical label has simply had "Manufactured by Linn Products Ltd" typed onto it, as well as a serial number. The yellow label on the Ariston bears the heading "Ariston Audio RD11". On the Linn, the exact same label is still there, but with the top and bottom cut off, removing the Ariston branding. A bit cheeky! (Note that these yellow labels, which pre-date Linn, mention the single point bearing.)

Creating the first LP12s was pretty simple, it would seem.

Last edited:
Well that’s exactly the same deck they have just trimmed the yellow label down a bit , amazing really how people can just remove a few items and make out it’s their own product!, mind you it still goes on , although the motor does look more substantial on the early Linn

I once had an early Linn with exactly the same metal hinges and lid with a prop. I do think the later clear lids and self supporting hinges are a lot better despite the criticism they get.

I once had an early Linn with exactly the same metal hinges and lid with a prop. I do think the later clear lids and self supporting hinges are a lot better despite the criticism they get.
The lid/prop/hinges came from a Goldring Lenco GL75, as did the original rubber mat.

advertisement

Back