advertisement

Teddy Pardo i80a vs PR1/MB100

NSF

Greetings fellow Fish. I have read all the threads and have read reviews. I know how to use the search function. I own a Supernait 2 and an 82/140 combo and am definitely a fan of the Naim "house sound". A card-carrying flat-earther who is addicted to PRAT. I used to own a Nait XS and vastly prefer the SN2. And not because it can get louder. The Nait XS could get plenty loud.

I am aware that some among us feel that online forums such as this one are the worst thing ever, that some of us disagree with others of us, that some (actually, many) here think that Teddy Pardo is the greatest guy ever, and that others think he's just terrible. Same goes for Naim as a company and for their current crop of products. I'm not too interested in discussing those topics right now. I just want help choosing an amp.

So, with that disclaimer out of the way, assuming anyone has made it this far, I want help deciding among the following three options:

* i80a
* PR1 + ST60
* PR1 + MB100 x 2

My only concern is sound quality. PRAT, bass extension, lack of listening fatigue, the whole deal. You know, angel trumpets and devil trombones. Wanna end up like those reviews where the writer ended up staying up all night playing his favorite records because nothing ever sounded so fantastic.

Not concerned with price, versatility and configurability, or resale value. And I'm well aware that bigger amps have an easier time with large and/or difficult speakers. My NAP140 and my old Nait XS both had no trouble filling whatever room I was in with sound. So if the i80a sounds as good as the separates, I'll buy one and be done with it.

I can't make it to London or Paris any time soon for a demo. Just wanna know if a PR1/MB100 combo sounds better than an i80a. At reasonable volumes with easy-to-drive speakers. Focal 1027S if you must know. And I've never heard any Teddy amp. This is a leap of faith. Like others here, I have been swayed by the testimony of PFMers, have owned Teddy power supplies, and am impressed with what the man himself has to say here and elsewhere.

So, anyone here who has heard the whole Teddy lineup and can comment regarding any sonic differences?

Thanks for reading and for any input.

I bought an i80a to replace a PR1/MB100 combo a while ago when I needed to reclaim a shelf for an AVR and have been quite happy with it since. I should add I live in a small flat, so even the potential of the i80a is plenty for my setup.

I like the fact I can relax safe in the knowledge that I bought a good amp and there's no money-go-round when it comes to TP: no expensive power supplies to buy or countless pounds and pence to pour down the rabbit hole of the erstwhile, upgrade path.

Try contacting Teddy he should know the sonic differences between MB100s and ST60
The pre is the same in all three options.

Went from 52/135 to PR1/MB100.

Sound quality, PRAT, bass extension, lack of listener fatigue... the Teddy Stuff definitely ticks all these boxes.

I enjoyed my time with the Naim setup but don't miss it one bit.

Teddy was very helpful when I was moving from 52/135s. Was glad to move from four boxes and improve the sound as well.

Went from 52/135 to PR1/MB100.

Sound quality, PRAT, bass extension, lack of listener fatigue... the Teddy Stuff definitely ticks all these boxes.

I enjoyed my time with the Naim setup but don't miss it one bit.

Completely agree.

I play more music than ever. No fatigue and all musical boxes ticked.

I no longer have any upgrade demons. The whole experience has been totally positive, and then some.

Roksan DP1 transport, Teddy DAC, PR1/ MB100's. Teddy speakers and speaker cable.

Greetings fellow Fish. I have read all the threads and have read reviews. I know how to use the search function. I own a Supernait 2 and an 82/140 combo and am definitely a fan of the Naim "house sound". A card-carrying flat-earther who is addicted to PRAT. I used to own a Nait XS and vastly prefer the SN2. And not because it can get louder. The Nait XS could get plenty loud.

I am aware that some among us feel that online forums such as this one are the worst thing ever, that some of us disagree with others of us, that some (actually, many) here think that Teddy Pardo is the greatest guy ever, and that others think he's just terrible. Same goes for Naim as a company and for their current crop of products. I'm not too interested in discussing those topics right now. I just want help choosing an amp.

So, with that disclaimer out of the way, assuming anyone has made it this far, I want help deciding among the following three options:

* i80a
* PR1 + ST60
* PR1 + MB100 x 2

My only concern is sound quality. PRAT, bass extension, lack of listening fatigue, the whole deal. You know, angel trumpets and devil trombones. Wanna end up like those reviews where the writer ended up staying up all night playing his favorite records because nothing ever sounded so fantastic.

Not concerned with price, versatility and configurability, or resale value. And I'm well aware that bigger amps have an easier time with large and/or difficult speakers. My NAP140 and my old Nait XS both had no trouble filling whatever room I was in with sound. So if the i80a sounds as good as the separates, I'll buy one and be done with it.

I can't make it to London or Paris any time soon for a demo. Just wanna know if a PR1/MB100 combo sounds better than an i80a. At reasonable volumes with easy-to-drive speakers. Focal 1027S if you must know. And I've never heard any Teddy amp. This is a leap of faith. Like others here, I have been swayed by the testimony of PFMers, have owned Teddy power supplies, and am impressed with what the man himself has to say here and elsewhere.

So, anyone here who has heard the whole Teddy lineup and can comment regarding any sonic differences?

Thanks for reading and for any input.

The Supernait 2 is excellent so why would you even consider a 180a especially as they are scared to reveal the full specification ?

I have lisened to some interestingly high end equipment from Naim over the past thirty years, or so, and I like it - a lot.

My investment now would be PR1 + MB100s x 2 .... it really does make music in particular when combined with the right front and, for the want of a better word, rear end.

The TP PR1 + MB100s held their own - and in my opinion bettered the NAC252/NAP300 combination it replaced.

Completely agree.

I play more music than ever. No fatigue and all musical boxes ticked.

I no longer have any upgrade demons. The whole experience has been totally positive, and then some.

+1 for Bob's comments.

I have had Naim systems for 20 years - starting with olive active (52/250s) then downsized to SN+HC with multiple Powerlines and Hiline and tinkering about with various ICs.

I switched to PR1/MB100s with TP ICs and speaker cables towards the end of last year and have never been happier. I listen a lot more than I ever did as I just find the whole setup more musical.

As Bob puts it, my upgrade demons have at last gone. I now simply play albums and enjoy them for what they are which is very refreshing after years on the Naim (and other makes) tweaks/upgrade/cost bandwagon.

Wow. Thanks for all the responses. I'd subscribed to this thread, but perhaps the notifications got lost in the shuffle or ended up in my trash folder. I did contact The Man Himself, and, as usual, his reply was prompt, helpful, and not one bit condescending or self-serving. To paraphrase, he said that the PR1/MB100 combo sounds a little better, but that the i80a was very, very good. And that I'd likely be satisfied with either.

Luckily, this decision was made for me, so I can stop with the wringing of hands. I just scored a PR1 and ST60 from a fellow yank on Audiogon, so I can take way more than 14 days comparing it against my SN2. And not suffer such a loss if I sell. Plus, since I'm getting a Teddy pre/power combo, I can mix and match with my other Naim gear. I'm especially keen to hear PR1/135, PR1/140, SN2 preamp section/ST60, and 82/ST60. I don't have a 52.

I'm not rooting for either team. I just want the best hi-fi - in my room, with my music, per my ear - that I can afford. Once I get that sorted, I'll sell the surplus. And, naturally, report my findings here.

k90tour: since you say you moved from four boxes, I'm guessing you bought an i80a. Otherwise, it's a move from four to four. Unless you bought the one-box preamp.

If i80a, you really like it better than 52/135?

Wow. Thanks for all the responses. I'd subscribed to this thread, but perhaps the notifications got lost in the shuffle or ended up in my trash folder. I did contact The Man Himself, and, as usual, his reply was prompt, helpful, and not one bit condescending or self-serving. To paraphrase, he said that the PR1/MB100 combo sounds a little better, but that the i80a was very, very good. And that I'd likely be satisfied with either.

Luckily, this decision was made for me, so I can stop with the wringing of hands. I just scored a PR1 and ST60 from a fellow yank on Audiogon, so I can take way more than 14 days comparing it against my SN2. And not suffer such a loss if I sell. Plus, since I'm getting a Teddy pre/power combo, I can mix and match with my other Naim gear. I'm especially keen to hear PR1/135, PR1/140, SN2 preamp section/ST60, and 82/ST60. I don't have a 52.

I'm not rooting for either team. I just want the best hi-fi - in my room, with my music, per my ear - that I can afford. Once I get that sorted, I'll sell the surplus. And, naturally, report my findings here.

As a SN2 owner who has always been interested in Teddy gear, I look forward to reading your comparison impressions.

Clarification: I said earlier I wasn't interested in price, configurability, or resale value. I was telling the truth - I just want an amazing stereo.

HOWEVER, since I scored a killer deal on a PR1/ST60 combo, I'm certainly not upset that I'll be able to flip one or both at no or minimal loss, easing my anxiety over having too many bucks tied up in hi-fi. And since the pre/power combo allows me to mix and match with my Naim gear, I may as well have fun with that and experiment. Just gotta get RCA/XLR cables so I can plug the PR1 into the 135s. Likely will get those from Flashback.

Also have my "upgrade path" figured out. Should I ever decide to move from the ST60 to a pair of MB100s - this is assuming I prefer the Teddy kit to Naim - I can feed the ST60 with my TeddyDAC VC. I wouldn't've paid the extra for the VC bit, but that was what was available used at the time. TDVC/ST60 would be, as we say on the forums, my second system.

Maybe I'll just keep the lot and put together a 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th system. One in each room plus the attic.

While I was transitioning from 52/135, I had the PR1 connected up to my 135 and a mighty fine combo that was. Then the MB100s arrived and out went the 135. As good as the combo (with 135s) was I kept the MB100s for both sound quality and low maintenance costs.

It's worth getting the interconnects between the PR1 and Naim power amps from Teddy. The cost is reasonable and they work well. Ditto speaker cables.

NSF. Keep us posted on how things go.

k90tour: since you say you moved from four boxes, I'm guessing you bought an i80a. Otherwise, it's a move from four to four. Unless you bought the one-box preamp.

If i80a, you really like it better than 52/135?

Yes, the i80A did sound better to me than the 52/135. For all the Naim energy, I believe that it is a product of a loss of detail. The i80A gave a more natural presentation.
Having said that the i80A is in storage as I'm using an AR SP20 which has built-in phono stage and headphone amp. Even fewer boxes.
Good ,luck with your new set up, it really is great equipment.

Very much hoping not to sacrifice one ounce of Naim energy. I'm a huge fan of it. In fact, that kick is what keeps me shelving and alphabetizing CDs. Never found a DAC that pleases me the way my CDS3 does. And I've tried quite a few. The second I find one I'll be SO done with physical media.

Didn't see any 2x RCA to 2x XLR cables on Teddy's site, just a 2x RCA to single XLR. So he will enable you to hook up a PR1 to a 250, but not to a pair of 135s. Flashback still looks like my best option. They say they are willing to do a custom "Premiere" cable with the required connectors.

Thanks again to all who contributed. Even the guy with the published specs. I'm not much into specs, being a flat-earther, but still, thanks for sharing,

advertisement

Back