advertisement

Technics 1200G - my thoughts .

early

pfm Member
I've been think about writing a few words on this deck , when I was searching the internet prior to buying I couldn't find anything usefull . The only scriblings seemed to be from people who had seen them at shows or heard them in dealers showrooms . I also noticed a few people asking Tony how he was getting on with his new 1200G , well the very same turntable has been in my possesion for a few weeks now so I thought I'd pen ( or is that key ? ) my thoughts .

First things first , looks . Whilst this thing may look like a MK2 it doesn't feel like it , it is a substantial thing much heavier than its compact footprint suggests .
The build quality is superb and in my opinion is as good as anything out there at any price .

I won't go into details on the fancy motor , platter , bering ect . All this info exists in cyberspace .

What most folk will want to know is "what does it sound like" . Well when engineers where thinking about designing CD players and imagined audio playback with absolute speed stability and virtually zero noise floor they could have been thinking about this TT . It sounds like the best CD player you could hope to hear .

This might seem like damning praise but it's not , the benefits of this rock solid speed and very low noise floor is that all the detail in the music comes to the fore nothing is obscured and it is presented in a very open spacious soundstage . It won't suit everyone , it does not have a lush romatic personality , It is very neutral and gives you what is on the record .

There is more torque than I have ever seen in a turntable ( and it’s adjustable but all my listening has been in auto ) , music is driven , bass is deep and taught , percussion has plenty of snap . Yet it still provides subtlety when it is required .

All sounds great doesn’t it , well there is a fly in the ointment and that fly is the tone arm . More specifically the tonearms lack of VTA . It follows the tried and trusted Technics method of the screw ring on the base for adjusting the VTA and it works a treat until you want to put on a shallow cart , in my case a Denon DL103r or Audio Technica’s AT33EV . With both of these carts correct VTA can not be achieved, extra mats and headshell spacers helped but these things drive me daft .

However all is not lost , there are mounting plates for all sorts of arms and in my possession I have a Jelco SA750D , so we soon had this .

Did it make a difference , yes I can now accommodate all manor of cart heights . There is also a subtle change in the sound , it may just be down to the extra mass of the Jelco suiting my carts better but there is a bit more refinement to the sound .

I would love to hear one with a real top end arm , but until I win the lottery this combo wil keep me very happy .

Excellent stuff, really pleased you are enjoying it. The VTA struck me as very odd. I used an Ortofon 2M Black in my short time with it and was surprised that 'level' was as low as it would go as that is a fairly chunky and deep cart I'd have certainly have had to use spacers for a DL-103, and that is with the Technics headshell, which I supect is shallower/lower than most. The Jelco looks good on it. Had I decided to keep it I'd likely have eventually gone for a modern SME of some kind, an M2-9R or maybe a second hand V.

PS Have you tried different mats at all? I very quickly tried an old Linn or Rega felt mat (can't remember which it is) and I think I preferred it, but it was shallower so I'd have knocked the VTA out a bit.

The Technics headshell does sit lower than all the headshells I have here by roughly 2mm .

I really like the Technics mat , I've tried a SRM tech silicone mat (which I loved on my LP12) and Linn felt mat . There's very little between the SRM and the Technics mats , and I think the Technics one looks much nicer . I've never really got on with felt mats , in my mind it seems something wrong to have a sliding interface between the platter and the record .

The SME IV and V's look cool on the Techy but I am a little bit worried about their reputation for being a bit analytical .

early,

are there some non-reversible modifications necessary in order to be able to mount a different arm to the 1200G?

I understand that with the original 1200 mk2, you had to remove a (small) piece of the underside of the plinth with a hacksaw.

Cheers,
Samuel.

Hi Samuel ,

No , it is completely reversable . The circular section that houses the RCA plugs is part of the tone arm base , so when you remove the tonearem it leaves a nice hole in the base (around 3" dia) for tonearm leads .
It looks like it was designed to take different arms .

If you do try this make a note of where the screws/bolts come from there are lots of them . Oh you will also need to remove the feet to find the hidden bolts I couldn't find :) .

That really looks nice, pleased you're enjoying your new purchase, and thanks for the write up.

Hi Samuel ,

No , it is completely reversable . The circular section that houses the RCA plugs is part of the tone arm base , so when you remove the tonearem it leaves a nice hole in the base (around 3" dia) for tonearm leads .
It looks like it was designed to take different arms .

If you do try this make a note of where the screws/bolts come from there are lots of them . Oh you will also need to remove the feet to find the hidden bolts I couldn't find :) .

Thx, early - and thank you for the review!

Thanks for the write up. It certainly gives an idea of what the deck is like. I've owned a couple of 1210s and also had a Linn LP 12 for 35 years. I compared them on a number of occasions.

You say the Technics "does not have a lush romantic personality , it is very neutral and gives you what is on the record." This captures the difference between a Linn and a 1210 pretty well.

Jack

Thanks for the review. Shame about the Technics arm. I'm surprised with the VTA limitations as this is one big reason I've retained my SL1200 arm. But I also think the arm, suitably rewired (single run from cartridge tags to phono plugs) is really good, as is the Technics rubber mat. I would be concerned about changing the weight of the platter and how it's damped.

October's Stereophile dropped through the door and it is one of the fat ones with the '500 great products recommended'. Much to my surprise the Technics isn't in the list despite some very favourable coverage. I guess it hasn't had a 'formal' review yet despite much comment from Michael Fremer and others. I was curious as to what band it would end up in!

PS Montesquieu, I very definitely preferred my TD-124, hence swiftly moving the 1200G on, but how rational that preference is I have no idea!

Stereophile class ratings are seriously flawed and compromised, as I'm sure you already know Tony. How else do we explain $6k turntables rated in the same class as $55k turntables? Who in the right mind would by the $55k deck? Then there is "grade inflation" where current state-of-the-art decks are bumped up to A+ all for the sake of keeping the status quo in Class A. And don't get me started on Class A rated amps divided into separate categories for tube and solid state.

Nice looking thing. Be interesting to hear how it compares to a good idler like a TD124.

I would imagine that the only people it would be of benefit to would be the deaf community. It is inconceivable that anyone with even an average 'ear' wouldn't be able to distinguish one from the other. ;)

edit:

What I'm clumsily trying to say is that you are comparing chalk and cheese. I see no similarities in the two turntables, so I see little to 'compare'

I would imagine that the only people it would be of benefit to would be the deaf community. It is inconceivable that anyone with even an average 'ear' wouldn't be able to distinguish one from the other. ;)

edit:

What I'm clumsily trying to say is that you are comparing chalk and cheese. I see no similarities in the two turntables, so I see little to 'compare'
Well, they're performing the same task; so you are comparing how well they do that.

Well, they're performing the same task; so you are comparing how well they do that.

Indeed, and if properly restored, setup and warmed-up there seems to be very little if anything between a good 124 and the Technics pitch-wise, and whilst the Technics is quieter, neither intrudes from a noise perspective. As such I suspect the real difference comes down to mass-damping. The Technics is an exceptionally heavy and inert structure, the 124 is also very heavy and inert (the 124 has the heavier platter assuming the iron one is fitted) but this mass is split/decoupled with the light-weight alloy top platter, and I suspect this is a sonically significant difference. To my ears the Technics sounds like a really heavy and damped deck, the 124 has similar pitch accuracy but has much of the lightness and delicacy of touch of a P9, Xerxes or whatever. It just makes sax, trumpet or whatever lines breathe and 'sing' more from a flat-earth tune-dem/PRaT basis to my ears. Both are very, very good decks though. That you can get something as solid, turnkey and easy to use as the Technics for the cash has to be applauded. It also needs to be pointed out a mint properly refurbished TD-124 really is not a cheap prospect, e.g. mine is fitted with a £700 main bearing!

I've heard TD124's but never had one , I have had a 401 and made up several souped up Lencos .

These vintage idlers and the 1200G share the same sense of drive , bass and percussion carry weight and lay the foundations that carry the rest of the music . That is where any comparison ends . I am not knocking idlers ( I loved and used them for years ) but due to the way they work they do create noise , restored decks go to extreme lengths to reduce this ( I once spent a small fortune on a bepsoke bearing for a L75 )

The Technics does this straight from the box and has a very low noise floor . To my ears it seems to let through tiny details and ambient cues that I wasn't getting before using the same arm and cart .

It is all down to personal preference and system matching , I dare say my amp and speakers suit the neutrality of the Technics .

I wonder if a uni-pivot would "warm" it up a bit...Let's stick an Aro on one:)

I have a Moerch DP6 on my second SL1200 Mk II and I wouldn't describe it as warm. Fluid, yes. And a listen to a DP6 on an NA Hyperspace over the weekend dispelled any notions of uni-pivots lacking detail, dynamics or bass.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom