advertisement

Tannoys ? Really ? What is it ???

stony

pfm Member
Tannoys ??? Really ?

What is it ? Google picture search shows nothing.

53711922998_1a73665876_c.jpg

53710802457_e84f15858d_c.jpg

I’ve no idea what they are, almost certainly a DIY job, or even AI! The control panels visible on the rear panel in the lower pic are Monitor Golds.

Where is the image from?

No I got it. It's the sort of thing Trumps grandad would have had commissioned by a joiner to his spec.
"Now see here boy, I don't give one good godamn shit how much it costs but you make me some cabinets for the finest HiFi there is and I wanna mix of Art Nouveau and Chippendale. You got me?"

so...just cabinets?????

The crossovers are certainly there hence the control panel on the back. Given that‘s there I’d be amazed if there weren’t a pair of Monitor Golds inside. You’d have to open them to see if they were 12” or 15” (10” is very unlikely). They should make at least twice the estimate even if the cabs end up in the nearest skip to the auction room!

I’ve no idea what they are, almost certainly a DIY job, or even AI! The control panels visible on the rear panel in the lower pic are Monitor Golds.

Where is the image from?
Friend of mine message me with pictures asking what they are as he said he found them online on saleroom

There used to be dozens of things like this during the early 1970s. There was a fad that lasted for a few years of very traditional furniture in response to the modern G Plan stuff. Most high streets had a reproduction furniture shop where you could buy this sort of thing. Genuine antique furniture was relatively expensive in the 70s and reproduction was brand new and cheaper but it was regarded as a bit naff.

I can remember the Dynatron speakers quite well but the fad died as quickly as it began.

If the auction house forbids opening the back panels, then a bright light into the grille should show if what's behind looks like a Tannoy DC. The dark areas in the photo suggest a single 12 or 15" driver. I see the centre cabinet is described as a TV cabinet by the auction house. Somebody like good TV sound, then....

If they were at an auction house "round the corner" from me, I'd be in like a shot. But Londinium ist too darn far ....

I have a pair of Cheviots which I am more than happy with so was more out of curiosity. I suspect they are golds and not reds (as per the control knobs?) but might take a look when available for viewing.

advertisement

Back