advertisement

Tannoy cabinets, where from?

matt j

pfm Member
So, whilst we're having a big Tannoy love in I thought I'd ask who can make some proper cabinets up?

I see the Chatworth and Lancaster cabinets aren't rated at all and are considered to be quite easily improved on, so who can I get to make me some?

Google Guild of Master Craftsmen, get a custom design made that you will love for ever. You will find it remarkably reasonably priced, IME, and most will enjoy the design bit of the work.

The LGM's I have would probably benefit from a different (larger) cabinet as they are quite bass light. I expected more from these 12 inch drivers but I guess the small cabs are choking them ?

I'm adept at gluing pieces of pre-cut chipboard or MDF together but these lovely looking drivers deserve better, much better.

I have also read lots about how the Lancastwer cabinet isn't very good.

I bought a mintish pair with 12" monitor golds which replaced SBLs and they sound fantastic. Intrigued as to how much better they could be with "proper cabinets".

Fantastic is the answer. Same qualities but more of everything (a bit like improving the power supply on a decent amp) and LOADS of bass extension. Start planning structural modifications now.

these guys from thatOz do some well nifty-looking flat packed kits finished and for the serious DIYer. Not cheap mind.

jesus wept, that's 10x the cost of the drivers!!

I've not really looked into it but roughly what should this cost me? if it's going to be silly money then I might have a stab at DIY'ing some.

It's a lot of work and no small amount of timber. That said, at £3k for a kit, how long do *you* work, at 40 hours pw, for that much? Then price a cabinet maker's time, working from drawings (which you can get) he'd probably work for the best part of a month for that much and do you think he could build a pair of cabs in a month, 160 worked hours? You bet your life...

I have located some corner Tannoy Chatsworths (no legs) in my dad's loft (where I recovered his Thorens for my restoration project) along with a valve Armstrong Stereo Tuner (that I used to listen to John Peel in 1976-77 on) -- oh, and some Wharfedale Dentons.

The Chatsworths have corner cabinets with peeling veneer and I do not know what drivers are in them or their condition pretty old they were probably placed in he loft around 74 but for my second system for when I get place among people again I was thinking some nicer cabinets would be nice.

they are in rect chatsworth cabinets.

no idea what I'm going for, haven't found many proper drawings yet. preferably something simple and rectangular to go in the alcoves either side of the fire place, at a guess between 150-200 litres.

Oddly enough my speakers are going in alcoves either side of the fireplace. I am going to build permanent brick "cabinets" and mount the units in there. Hope I like 'em, It'll be a bit of a faff to move them afterwards!!

Wife hates big speakers, in fact any speakers so this should keep the both of us happy.

Tannoy say the optimum enclosure size for 12" HPD's is 150ltrs....cant remember the port size offhand...twin 4" I think. I will make the front baffle from birch ply so as I can fine tune the ports easier.

Needless to say these speakers will be keepers (untill we move)!!

Matt , Try them without the back panels on . A kind of folded baffle .

I'm using mine like this and they're in the corners of a large bay , similar to alcoves , and I thought there was a big improvement over the standard sealed cab .

There was some lancaster chassis for sale in ebay on friday if cannibalising is of any use to anyone

Matt , Try them without the back panels on . A kind of folded baffle .

I'm using mine like this and they're in the corners of a large bay , similar to alcoves , and I thought there was a big improvement over the standard sealed cab .

Cheers, I might try that first and see what happens.

I've got to re-organise the room first though as everything is arse about tit.

I've found various drawing & a couple for GRF's on the web just Googling.
I know I have been saying this for a while... I am going to build some Rectangular GRF's - really need the music room extension built first though...

If you can't find the drawings then PM me and I'll send you what I have.

I have also read lots about how the Lancastwer cabinet isn't very good.

I bought a mintish pair with 12" monitor golds which replaced SBLs and they sound fantastic. Intrigued as to how much better they could be with "proper cabinets".

Would you be so kind as to tell me roughly how much your 'mintish pair' cost? i'm in the market for some myself... see my rather overblown thread above. http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60260

But am not sure what I should be looking to get them for? An immaculate pair, (cabs wise) also drivers 'recently serviced' is £1200 just too much?

:confused:

Hi,

I paid £700 about a year ago. I think £1200 is a bit expensive for 12" but I may be out of touch. I think they sound great and if you are anywhere near Croydon south of London and would like a listen then send me a PM.

I think that the surrounds of the HPD drivers rot over time and need reconing about every 20 years. I phoned Lockwoods after buying my Golds and their advice was that if they sounded OK then leave them alone. So that's what I did.

Can't really offer any advice on your other tthread but I'm sure others here will help.

Cheers

Kevin

advertisement

Back