advertisement

Tannoy Autograph Mini vs Tannoy Prestige Autograph Mini. Any sound difference?

Zaiden

pfm Member
Ello folks. Myself and @rdale from Hifiwigwam were comparing Tannoy Autograph Mini crossover schematics and found out the crossovers are looking different, presumably because the person whose schematics I found were for the Prestige edition, while rdale's are for the original Autograph Mini.

rdale's Mini MKI

E5qoZN9.jpg

Prestige Mini MKII

S1dV2Tm.jpeg

Biggest reasoning for this I can think of would be that Tannoy moved their production to China, so would presumably source materials more readily available in China, which were nigh on impossible to source in the UK.

I just wanted to check if anyone on here has heard both, and can comment on whether there was any audible difference between the Autograph Mini and the Prestige Autograph Mini.

Most likely scenario I was thinking of constructing both sets of XOs, and seeing which one I'd like more (while selling whichever one tickles my fancy a bit less).

But I'd love to hear other people's lived experiences and wisdom!

Have you got the inductor measurements?
The one thing that stumps most people is the inductor DCR.

Have you got the inductor measurements?
The one thing that stumps most people is the inductor DCR.

At present, I do not have the inductor measurements on hand. I do know for the Prestige Mini one is air-cored and the other iron core laminated, based on the owners manual description.

Tannoy Autograph Mini vs Tannoy Prestige Autograph Mini. Any sound difference?

I own the original model so this is question I'd love to know the answer to as well. One would expect there to be a sonic difference as issuing a new model with a cosmetic face lift only would be kind of pointless.

PS - I can just imagine Danny Ritchie's reaction to seeing those electrolytic capacitors and "sand cast" resistors! ;)

Last edited:
Are we talking about, in part, these speakers?

I've got a pair and with good placement, they sound truly excellent. My pair are currently redundant as I don't have anywhere to put them. I've got a spare Naim NAP100 so I'm almost halfway to getting a bonus system up and running. But I just can't make it happen... yet!

tannoy_autograph_mini-ow.jpg

Are we talking about, in part, these speakers?

I've got a pair and with good placement, they sound truly excellent. My pair are currently redundant as I don't have anywhere to put them. I've got a spare Naim NAP100 so I'm almost halfway to getting a bonus system up and running. But I just can't make it happen... yet!

tannoy_autograph_mini-ow.jpg

Yes, we would be in part talking about these speakers. They're the MK2 Prestige pair.

I spent a happy lunchtime in company to baby tannoys.
A half a pork pie was eaten, words were mumble and the tannoys played on.
I remember walking into the room (Wam show) and thinking OH?????
Erm?
And then just enjoying what they were doing
In fact in retrospect they might have been the only tannoys I ever heard which were 90% brilliant and 'Ill put up with the rest'.

Have been interested in these...but they are such a lot of money for small things...and dont come up often 2nd hand.
How much better are they (or not) than ls3/5a type speakers, thinking Spendor, Harbeth, Falcon et al.
What do they do that is so magic?

Have been interested in these...but they are such a lot of money for small things...and dont come up often 2nd hand.
How much better are they (or not) than ls3/5a type speakers, thinking Spendor, Harbeth, Falcon et al.
What do they do that is so magic?
I'd be interested too - I've got some big tannoys and could use a small pair in the other room if they do something tannoy-like and special..

Although my autograph mini GR speakers (current model) aren't in use at the minute, they sound excellent and surprisingly room filling when speaker placement is optimal (optimal according to room size etc); when I was experimenting with room layout, I think I had them 50 or 60cm off the wall and they totally sounded much bigger than their size suggests.

I don't have a spare system and room for them just now (I've got Legacy Eatons in the living room and I just have the floor space in my bedroom), so for the time being, they're doing nothing other than looking pretty.

advertisement

Back