advertisement

Tannoy 3LZs appear cheap on ebay NOW.

They're not very good either IMO. The cabinets buzz off badly with a catastrophic impact on the midrange, the back panels especially. I seem to remember this "odd" quality when they were new (so not just 40 years of abuse) and something the big models avoided to a large degree...

There's some real garbage on there at the moment. Completely trashed drivers with starting prices of £500 +. Just a bunch of clowns chancing it.

They're not very good either IMO. The cabinets buzz off badly with a catastrophic impact on the midrange, the back panels especially. I seem to remember this "odd" quality when they were new (so not just 40 years of abuse) and something the big models avoided to a large degree...

I had a pair of these for quite a few years and there was no buzz at all. I later had some Lancasters which were dreadful in comparison to the 111LZ's

There's some real garbage on there at the moment. Completely trashed drivers with starting prices of £500 +. Just a bunch of clowns chancing it.

Maybe but as soon as some duckegg pays the price for those trashed drivers ( and someone will ) the bar gets raised again.

£720 for 10" - Big Tannoys are 15" and are going for more than that.
The cabs are the problem. Many, including myself rehouse them in well made birch ply cabs and it transforms them.

I had a pair of these for quite a few years and there was no buzz at all. I later had some Lancasters which were dreadful in comparison to the 111LZ's

Not buzz as in "buzz" but a severe midrange colouration not helped by the vibrating rear panel.. Anyway, SDpeedy Steve has answered the question in the best way possible - new cabs!

advertisement

Back